What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlotte@SLIW

Registered
Reaction score
What I'm reading

Just completed 3 Lynne Rae Perkins novels, all wonderful.
Now reading Divergent by Veronica Roth and Unwanteds by Lisa McMann
Great, but worried about all of the Dystopian literature out there.

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
Not YA but I'm trying to get through The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. It's off to a slow start, but I'm determined to get through it.

Yeah, everyone (including me) reported that it starts off slow but gets good once Lisbeth is introduced. The ending is also commonly described as a letdown, at least in the reviews I've read.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Not YA but I'm trying to get through The Girl With A Dragon Tattoo. It's off to a slow start, but I'm determined to get through it.

Yeah, everyone (including me) reported that it starts off slow but gets good once Lisbeth is introduced. The ending is also commonly described as a letdown, at least in the reviews I've read.

"Good" is a matter of opinion.

I hope you have a strong and high tolerance for graphic, gratuitous violence against women. Personally, I prefer to keep my lunch in my stomach.

savagelilies

'til the end of time
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up Mandy Hubbard's PRADA & PREJUDICE, which I've been meaning to pick up forever.

Stelle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claybaboons.com
I just finished Jellicoe Road. I liked it quite a lot! I found that I had to push myself through the beginning, but it was really compelling once I got into it.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished Jellicoe Road. I liked it quite a lot! I found that I had to push myself through the beginning, but it was really compelling once I got into it.

I really need to reread it. I liked it, but I found it so dense and complicated that it requires another read to fully comprehend it.

Arclight

The Dragon's Daughter
Registered
Reaction score
I finished SWITCHED. I had a little more sympathy for Wendy by the end (she drops a little bit of her ungrateful brat attitude), but the Tyrelle (supernatural creatures) are so awful that I didn't care one bit if they died out. Is anyone else as sick as I am of supernaturals who treat humans horribly and never have a change of heart or any consequences for their actions?

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I started Magic Under Stone. There's something magical about this author's writing style, it sucks you in. I can't wait for Dark Metropolis, which doesn't even have a cover yet.

Still reading Shatt$r Me. Am I bad for wanting Juliette/Warner? Not because I have a thing for villains (which I don't), but because I have a thing for power play/opposition. I want her to push him around and force him to his knees after he admits his obsession. :) She could be Professor X and he could be her Magneto, only you know, with romantic tension. Because Adam is truly a cardboard cutout of vanilla somethings (that's a half-quote), he has so little personality beyond wanting to help.

LadyA

Always lurking, never posting...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading PROM NIGHTS FROM HELL - an anthology by Meg Cabot, Stephenie Meyer, Kim Harrison, Michele Jaffa and Lauren Myracle.

I wouldn't normally pick this up, but it's the summer holidays and I've worked my way through most of the local library's YA books. Plus, I wanted to read SOMETHING by SMeyer to see what all the hype is about, and I don't think I could stomach The Book That Shall Not Be Named. Or its sequels. Especially its sequels. lol

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Read Eon, was a fun read, nice that it wasn't standard Ye-Olde-Englande-style fantasy, but god the final third draaaaaagggggggeed.

Also read The Sky is Everywhere, which was pretty good and made me tear up at the end, so there's that.

Barbara R.

Old Hand in the Biz
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbararogan.com
PRECIOUS BONES by Mika Ashley Hollinger. Set in mid-20th century in the swamps of Florida, with an unforgettable young heroine. Not only a riveting novel, but an immersion into a world that no longer exists. Highly recommended!

warofthesparks

I know what happened to Baby Jane.
Registered
Reaction score
"Good" is a matter of opinion.

I hope you have a strong and high tolerance for graphic, gratuitous violence against women. Personally, I prefer to keep my lunch in my stomach.

Oh, sorry. I meant "good" as in "better than the very slow beginning." I should've just said the pace picks up.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Gah, I'm spamming this thread (sorry, just came back from holiday and read lots of books and saw whales so basically the perfect holiday) but also read Want so Wicked, which I enjoyed, but I dunno if I like it as much as Need....Hmmm. Then again, there was lots of Harlin so...yum.

everythinginblak

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
i just finished reading 'The children and The Wolves' by Adam Rapp (one of my writing inspirations!!!). And as with most of the books i've read by him he gave that classis sorta good ending/cliff hanger leaving you like 'W.T.F.!!!!???

i can't say I was unhappy with the ending because I loved it but then I was like "Come on Adam Rapp!!!!" LOL I felt like I got cheated on LMAO!! But it was a good book!!! Really suggest it. I like how he touched on teenage violence too because I see that happening alot now nowadays with kids and its sad and frightening!

Right now I am debating if I really want to read the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy...everyone..at least most of the females i know have been throwing that book up in my face. so yeah.....might go for the New Stephen King book instead!

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished reading the third book in the Maximum Ride series. Totally enjoyable. I also like how it's trying to have a global message.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
After absolutely loving DELIRIUM and PANDEMONIUM, I started BEFORE I FALL. Ugh. I mean, sure, the writing's great. But I just cannot stand the horrible main character and her horrible friends. And I get that she's changing or trying to change or becoming more self-aware or whatever, but it's just not a journey I want to take with her. I'm about 40% through and may not finish.

I'm starting JELLICOE ROAD next.

Kats

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I LOVE Before I Fall, I like her other books, but that one is one of my very favorite YA contemporaries of the last few years.

Me too! I liked Sam, I thought her character was realistic and relatable.

I'm reading Fire in the Sea by Myke Bartlett. It won the Text Publishing prize in Australia and is set in Perth, my hometown.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
After absolutely loving DELIRIUM and PANDEMONIUM, I started BEFORE I FALL. Ugh. I mean, sure, the writing's great. But I just cannot stand the horrible main character and her horrible friends. And I get that she's changing or trying to change or becoming more self-aware or whatever, but it's just not a journey I want to take with her. I'm about 40% through and may not finish.

I'm starting JELLICOE ROAD next.

I would encourage you to stick with it to the end. I didn't like Sam for most of the book but the last quarter totally, totally made up for it, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.