What YA book are you reading RIGHT NOW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading VARIANT. I must say it grabbed my interest right at the start. I hope the pay-off won't disappoint.

pixydust

Mother Flippin' Rhymnosorous
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowofthewood.com
Just read B*autiful D*saster. *sigh* People (or should I say, girls) were raving about this book, but I just wanted to whack the mc over the head--this is probably why all m friends were boys in high school.

I also just reread Son Of Shadows for the magillionth time cause it's lovely like chocolate and now I'll be starting Seer of Sevenwaters next. I so love Juliet Marrillier's work.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, there are a lot of books I've liked mentioned on this thread.

I'm currently working on two different YA novels:

Chain Reaction by Simone Elkeles

AND

Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Lani Taylor.

I loved Perfect Chemistry and Rules of Attraction, but I have to say that DoSaB is currently smoking CR in terms of 'book I am most excited about reading.'

Maybe it's all the exotic locales and characters that does it for me. :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Finished THE GREAT AND DANGEROUS by Chris Westwood which I enjoyed. It's very dark and very fast-pacd but my only niggle is that one of the twists is telegraphed too much and too early on, but it's a good solid read for anyone who likes Darran Shan and wants something well constructed.

I'm going to read some 'grown up' fantasy next but did wonder if anyone here had thoughts on THE STATISTICAL PROBABILITY OF LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT as I've had the offer of a free copy but am not sure it'll be my thing. Anyone got any views?

MM

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished STORY OF A GIRL by Sara Zarr and thought it was sweet and troubling and brilliantly written. So good that I found myself slipping away from the family to read a few pages here and there while home on some vacation days. Felt like such a quick read, but good deep issues that felt real.

Then, I picked up JELLIC0E R0AD and read ten pages before I put it down. I think I'll make it back and try again when I am less distracted. It comes highly recommended. But in ten pages there must've been ten characters, not all of them mentioned by name and a weird ceremony. Hard to tell what was going on, what was taking place, who was important, who was speaking.

Now, I'm 100 pages into the letters of Truman Capote. I don't usually find books of letters fascinating, but I'm enjoying this.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Percy Jackson

I have to put it aside for Confessions of an Opium Eater

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Mmf. I'm wavering over whether to give Gw3n Hayes' FALL1NG UNDER (which I'm about two thirds through) two or three stars. The romance is incredibly infuriating, but the supporting girl characters are great, and there are some lovely touches. If the book didn't centre on a creepy rapist douchebag, it could have been excellent.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
The flashes of self-awareness are only lampshading how bad the book is in places. The protagonist seems to occasionally realise that the love interest is a nasty stalker, and from time to time it occurs to her that she probably shouldn't be crushed like an egg now that he's gone, but within a few sentences the book lapses back into its Twilight-imitating ways.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
Mmf. I'm wavering over whether to give Gw3n Hayes' FALL1NG UNDER (which I'm about two thirds through) two or three stars. The romance is incredibly infuriating, but the supporting girl characters are great, and there are some lovely touches. If the book didn't centre on a creepy rapist douchebag, it could have been excellent.

I'd say 2.5 but I'm assuming this is good reads. I'd go for a 2 because your last sentence sealed the deal.

bickazer

someday we'll shine together
Registered
Reaction score
Just finished Perchance to Dream by Lisa Mantchev. It's book two in the Theatre Illuminata trilogy. I've already book three...yeah, I read them out of order. XD I have to say that book two is definitely my favorite. The entire trilogy is woefully underrated, and that's a damn shame, because it combines Shakespeare, surrealism, a kickass protagonist and a love triangle that doesn't suck. What's there not to love?

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
About 200 pages into Eon right now, and I loooove it! I knew I'd enjoy it, but it's already exceeding my expectations. Definitely a good one to start the new year.

mac3910

Here, there, everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Took a break to read some non-YA books that were piling up. My first YA back is Delirium by Lauren Oliver. Big sigh. I want so much to like it, but I'm bored to death.

Windcutter

Registered
Reaction score
Just finished VARIANT by Robison Wells. Wow. I hadn't known what a cliffhanger ending was until I've read this book. One more debut novel that is in no way a stand-alone. It was like Lost, you know that TV show where almost every episode ended with a twist and a big question.

Other than that, it was really cool, started a bit slowly but still grabbed me (offering a strange secret hinting on a big twist is the best way to grab me), and then... it was like an episode of Twilight Zone. Like a half of an episode, that is, considering the ending. Or a double episode with only the first one aired so far. I'm really curious how things will go for this book in the vein of commercial success, because it seems pretty different from what I usually see in YA. Anyway, I couldn't stop reading because I had to have the answers.

I thought I'd warn those of you who are disappointed with dystopia--it's not that, even if it looks like that for a moment there. It's Thriller/Sci-Fi.

Last edited:

Winterturn

Scribble, scribble.
Registered
Reaction score
Reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone and loving it. The library wants it back on Tuesday but I don't want to rush through it, so the other people on the waiting list may have to wait just a little longer.

Hilldawg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm reading Across the Universe by Beth Revis. So far, it's a very good sci-fi novel about a teenaged girl named Amy who is put into cryo-sleep to join her parents on a mission across the universe to colonize another planet. The trip will take 300 years but Amy wakes up early to a ship full of mindless "feeders" who are ruled by a man named Eldest. There's also a love interest intertwined when Amy meets a boy named Elder, the ship's leader-in-training.

Morwen Edhelwen

Registered
Reaction score
Marrying Ameera by Rosanne Hawke. It's about a Pakistani Australian girl having a forced marriage. She's got to marry her cousin who's years older than her.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finished DAIRY QUEEN. Even though I have a ton of shiny new books to read, I'm rereading its sequel, THE OFF SEASON, first. Really, I'm just reading it because DQ made me want to read the third book (which I liked the best of all of them) but I thought I should read the 2nd one first to get the full experience. Maybe I'll like #2 better when I'm reading them in order.

Commutinggirl

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard so many good things about this novel. Still (im)patiently waiting for my library copy. *le sigh*

Looking forward to know what you think about it once your library gets a copy :)

Just started The Hunger Games (totally late on this :))

Lydia Sharp

for the love of love
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lydiasharp.blogspot.com
Finished CINDER by Marissa Meyer. I might just die having to wait a whole year for the next book. So so SO good.

Now reading BITTERSWEET by Sarah Ockler. Ice skating. Baking. Divorced parents. Awesome start.

Status
Not open for further replies.