Where can I publish my beautiful, angry anti-growth rants?

Wandererer

Registered
Reaction score
Seriously. I need suggestions for good places that are middle of the road quality wise, not low end that I'm too good for (wink wink) and not so high falutin that I can't get in, because I'm not awful but I am a work in progress. Certainly most environmental publications cant handle it, since they spend most of their time convincing people we can have our cake and eat it too. I need places that will publish the truth (as I see it) aaaaaand pay me for it.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
Your own blog, with ads?

Few places publish "rants." Good publications are looking for well-reasoned, well-researched arguments by knowledgeable people.

evilrooster

Wicked chicken
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunpig.com
Economic, I suspect; there is certainly a decent argument that economic policies that depend on perpetual growth are ecologically unsustainable.

Not that I have any good ideas for paying gigs in the area.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
In that case it would depend on how detailed and accurate the piece were, length and angle. Seed, E, Green Futures, a bunch of magazine might take that kind of content.

Wandererer

Registered
Reaction score
Economic, I suspect; there is certainly a decent argument that economic policies that depend on perpetual growth are ecologically unsustainable.

Mostly, yes. But there are other kinds of unsustainable growth too, such as housing booms in deserts with shrinking aquifers. Of course it's all tied in with the belief that the economy must grow grow grow.

Wandererer

Registered
Reaction score
I was just rejected by Orion a couple weeks ago, but I intend to keep trying! My essay wasn't really an antigrowth rant either. I don't know that my writing is quite Orion quality yet (apparently not), but that is definitely a market I'd like to break into. Its very much in line with my way of thinking. Great suggestion. Are there any more along those lines that haven't been mentioned?

I probably shouldn't have used the word rant in the title, because even I don't like to read rants. Perhaps "informed and opinionated essay" is an improvement over "rant".

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad you're going to keep after Orion. I'll post others if they occur to me, but one you might also have tried already is Grist. They've been around quite a while and are not as literary in style as Orion. ?? But I believe they tend more toward actual news reporting than opinion pieces. Not sure how they handle that balance.

Good luck!