Articles related to Book Topic

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
I'm working on a book proposal and book. That has me thinking about my "credentials." In order to build my writing resume, I'm thinking of trying to get some non-fiction articles published. I would like to write articles around the same topic as my book because that would show my knowledge on this topic (and because that is where my mind is right now).

My concern/question is the boundary line regarding how similar/different the material needs to be. I understand that I can't have an article published and then hope to put that same writing in my book. No problem. That is reasonable. But can it be about the same idea/concept?

My book is about spiritual issues related to childhood abuse. So if I write an article about, say how the Parable of the Prodigal Son helped in my healing. Can I still use the same idea if I write it again fresh, and expound on it more in the book?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Perfectly acceptable. And you can even reuse an article in a larger work if you retain copyright and if you give the original publisher credit and if you ask permission.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Gatita

Girl reporter
Registered
Reaction score
I think it also adds to your credibility. I'm a newspaper reporter, so a lot of the episodes in my book were originally published as news stories. I know it makes editors feel good knowing I've already been fact-checked and vetted for accuracy!

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Perhaps you can change the form a bit? For instance, if your book is a how-to book about being a better parent, maybe you can write for a parenting magazine or blog about the methods you used to become a better parent? That sort of thing.

Several non-fiction writers end up blogging about their chosen topics and sometimes there is an overlap. Just make sure there isn't too much of an overlap, though. I think readers get really peeved if they find that you've basically put together a bunch of your old stuff and made them pay for it (especially if they're fans and read your blog posts/articles religiously).

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thanks Kudra, that advice resonates with me and answered an unspoken question about the direction I should go with my blog. i have been blogging for a few years on a related topic. So lately I have wondered if I should change the blog direction a bit to follow the leanings of the book...I think some of my readers would like it, but others I am not so sure about. Reading your post helped me make a decision. I'm going to keep things as they are. Thanks!