Icons, type suddenly reduced in size

Doc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From XP Windows - Inexplicably the size of my icons on the desk top has become smaller as has the type size on all programs I open. What has happened and how can I restore? Also Administrative register has appeared on my screen directing all moves. Formerly I controlled this strictly by the icons. To the best of my knowledge I have done nothing to implement these changes All and any help greatly appreciated.
Doc

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If EVERYTHING has suddenly gotten smaller, my first guess would be your screen resolution has accidentally gotten changed.

I'm not sure what you mean by "administrative register". Unless someone else knows what this problem is, I would suspect malware.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can "biggefy" your display on Windows XP by holding down the Ctrl key and using the plus key or the mouse's scroll wheel to return it to its usual size. (It's very easy to shrink the display without knowing what you did so you can undo it.)

I don't have any experience with administration register. Does your computer have more than one user account? Usually the one with the authority to add or delete programs is a separate account called Administrator, and all other users have separate accounts with their own passwords. However, it's also possible to set up your computer with only one account, so the administrator is also the sole user, or so all the users are on the administrator account.

If you can reproduce one or more of these administrator messages, maybe someone far more technically adept than I can give you a hand.

Maryn, half-helpful

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
In XP you can right click on empty space, click on properties (which will give you Display Settings) click on settings, and adjust your resolution, which will affect icon sizes.

Don't know about the admin thing.

Doc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey Alleycat and Rugcat, you guys solved my problem spot on. Many thanks. I'm having friends in for a champagne social on New Year's Eve. Sure wish you could join us so I could thank you in person. I got the print big now. A mighty veil has been lifted from my sore eyes

And Maryn thanks for your "how-to-undo." As klutzy as I am around a computer, I need all the help I can get to repair "mysterious" damage.

Stay healthy. Stay happy. And dig in to 2012 with high hopes

Doc

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad it turned out to be a simple solution.