Any knitters in the house?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ha! Good tip, LivingDork! I knit on circulars and can join to knit in the round with no problem, actually. It's just that when I have to decrease to the point of needing dpn's...I'm hosed. I can't keep the stitches on the needles...they always slide right off. I've considered trying point protectors on the ones I'm not knitting from. That may be worth a go.

LivingDork

the zompocalypse is coming
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, those rubber stoppers you put in the end of your needles can be a lifesaver when working with DPNs. You can also do the cheap way: Each time you move to the next needle, take a second and fold down the needle you just completed, scrunching the stitches in the center of the needle and inserting the ends in the actual work. This means you can't see the points, as they are inside your WIP, you see a bit of needle, some stiches, a bit more needle, then it's back into your WIP. Does that make sense? :)
DPNs are like cat-bait too, which makes them even harder to work with, lol.

Vampyre Princess: If you like cables, you should check out Jared Flood's Brooklyn Tweed designs. I've made a dozen or so different colors of Habitat, and my hubby adores Koolhaus.

Last edited:

bip

has a dog with shifty eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a knitter! I have the same username on Ravelry, so you can check out my FOs.

I'm currently working on two sweaters, stuck on both! You would think with all these snowstorms we've been having in New England, I'd be trapped inside long enough to actually sit down and figure out where I went wrong. I've been writing a lot instead, which I guess is a good thing! ... though the kid I'd intended the little pink sweater for has already outgrown it. She has a little sister, but SHE also outgrew it. And now I'm racing the growth of another friend's daughters. Either someone needs to have another baby girl or I need to finish this thing, lol.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I crochet although I did learn to knit once upon a time. I'm part of a knitting/crocheting group that meets once a month. My ambition is to learn how to knit socks eventually. But my knitting group wants me to finish the project I'm working on (a large afgan for myself) so they can see it. So my sock ambition is currently on hold. My current MC's don't need to know how to knit but a future WIP might. lol

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I loom knit; does that count? (Knifty Knitters, not knitting machines.) I mostly do simple hats, but I've done a few more complicated projects, like dog sweaters for a stuffed manatee and a tiger.

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
I loom knit; does that count? (Knifty Knitters, not knitting machines.) I mostly do simple hats, but I've done a few more complicated projects, like dog sweaters for a stuffed manatee and a tiger.

I think I have that lying around somewhere... :) Can't speak for anyone else, but it's a method of knitting so I say you count. :)

~Amber~

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
you guys could always try the magic loop technique, as opposed to DPNs. It's way easier. Only two ends for the stitches to slide off.

:)

I'm also on Rav. I'm Macchiatolove there. Same avatar at present!

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I crochet. I tried knitting once and it turns out that I can knit forwards and backwards so I get confused and lose my place a lot. Knitting and pearling all look the same in the end. So, I gave up.

I crochet with the grace of a butterfly though.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
::holds up her knitting needles:: I love to knit. I can't crochet for the life of me though, even though everyone tells me it's easier. LOL. I can chain all day long. It's the second row that gets me. I can never tell where to put the hook.

I mostly do scarves. I'm working on this really fun one right now that I got the pattern from Crazy Aunt Purl. http://www.crazyauntpurl.com/

Off the top of my head, you cast on 250 stitches on size 7 or 8 circular needles. (You won't be knitting in the round. You need the circs for the length.) Knit one row, leaving a long tail at both ends (that's the fringe). Then grab another yarn and repeat. It looks really funky especialy if you mix up ladder yarn, eyelash, boucle, bulky, etc. You only have to do 20 or 30 rows to get a decent width scarf and all the colors and styles of the yarn make it look very shi-shi fancy. :D

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
you guys could always try the magic loop technique, as opposed to DPNs. It's way easier. Only two ends for the stitches to slide off.

:)

I'm also on Rav. I'm Macchiatolove there. Same avatar at present!

I'm considering it, when I have the extra money to invest in those super long circs. :) I can hear my hubby groaning already, lol.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I'm considering it, when I have the extra money to invest in those super long circs. :) I can hear my hubby groaning already, lol.

Have you ever used Denise needles? Link: http://www.knitdenise.com/

I swear by these because they're so handy! I knit everything on circulars because it keeps the bulk of bigger projects, like sweaters, in my lap. Denise needles are great because one kit can make circulars of many different sizes without creating tons of clutter in my knitting box.

I really need to get back into serious knitting. I have a sweater front that needs a back and sleeves.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never used them, but I've seen and coveted. Oh yes, we likes it, we dooooooo. :D

Deleted member 42

I keep trying, but I tend to do things backwards, including knitting.

I want to make these.

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Can't speak for anyone else, but it's a method of knitting so I say you count. :)

~Amber~
Ah, good! I kind of wondered if it counted, since it uses a hook. I never could do regular knitting, so I have a lot of respect for those who can. (Crocheters, too; I tried crochet once, but couldn't get beyond the "one long chain" phase.)

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
ooh lala! those hwaet socks are incredible!

And magic loop doesn't need super long circs. You can do it with standard ones. The videos can make it seem like an exact science, but it's actually really easy apart from the join.

Any other AWers on Rav?

Deleted member 42

Medi, those are charted, so backwards knitting shouldn't matter.

No no, you over estimate my knitting ability or under estimate my ability to screw up.

I need someone alive to sit next to me.

I think I know how to purl now . . .

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
**raises hand**

I knit. I got bored one day a few years ago and decided to teach myself. I bought a book and the rest is history. I still have to look things up occasionally, but since that day I've knitted about a dozen blankets - my kids have them, anyone who's had a baby since Feb '08 has one. I made my MIL an Irish fisherman's blanket, which took me almost a year, but came out beautiful.

I'm working on a hat for my son now. Someday, I'm springing for alpaca wool and making me some socks. :D

VP_Benni

likes a colorful font
Registered
Reaction score
No no, you over estimate my knitting ability or under estimate my ability to screw up.

I need someone alive to sit next to me.

I think I know how to purl now . . .

I had troubles purling when I first learned how to knit. I was 8 years old, and my aunt was having trouble teaching me because she's right-handed and I'm not. All of my purl stitches ended up looking like knit stitches. :Shrug:
What's really unfortunate was I really liked the way seed stitch looked, so every time I tried to do it I had to knit a stitch, turn the needles, knit a stitch like a right-handed person, turn the needles, knit a stitch, etc... It took me FOREVER just to get one row done... >.<
Don't worry, it gets easier. :)

~Amber~

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a knitter and I'm on Ravelry (Pomegranateseed). I've been knitting for about 6-7 years. Mostly socks, scarves, bags, and hats. I'm struggling with a sweater right now. It's just a simple top-down raglan, but it has a lace pattern on the yoke. Thank [insert diety of choice] for lifelines because I have ripped it back half a dozen times so far.

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
i'm a knitter too and i'm on ravelry. I can knit left to right as well wich is helpful when doing entrelac so you don't keep having to turn your work after a few stiches.

My vice are the Addi Turbo Needles. God they're expensive but holy cow are they awesome.

I second the recommendation for www.knitpicks.com. I've done several things with their yarns, I love alpaca blends for example. Their yarn is extremely reasonable and of really good quality. They ship fast and they now have a colour line to rival Noro. I've worked with Noro which was nice but some of the balls had tons of knots in them so teh colourway was lost.

LivingDork

the zompocalypse is coming
Registered
Reaction score
AZ_Dawn: It sure does count! It's just a different tool for the same thing!

MissM: I am jealous, as I have not worked up the gumption to teach myself magic loop. I've got the book and the needles (and the project: a pair of Totoro intarsia mittens for my hubby), but I just keep putting it off. I'm sure it's like everything else in knitting: it looks so intimidating and then once you learn it, it's beyond simple. Oh,btw, I decided to make my own version of the hat in blue. You inspired me! :)

Cranky: If it helps you, I'm glad! I'm always fighting to keep my needles, as the cats think that they're toys.

Nevada: You and my husband both. I swear, he thinks he needs a set of addis for every project he knits, lol. Have you worked with their noro-like yarns? Does it stripe well? I love their yarn. I'm so broke, I couldn't knit if I had to shop at the LYS, because there's one and it's in the richest neighborhood in a 90 minutes radius.

Last edited: