Odd requirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm doing a little research on submitting to agents before I send off any queries and I come across this:

Cover Letter Requirements
-A description of ways that you will help to promote your book, including any media contacts you may have

What would you write here? Besides "I dunno." I assume I'd hire a publicist if we got to that point and do whatever she told me to do. What else? A website and web promotion? Signings? I have a couple of minor media contacts, but it's not as if I've called them and said "Oh yeah, hey, if that novel of mine ever makes it to the light of day, what can you do for me?"

Do lots of agents ask this?

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
No. Not a lot. I have read that particular line and occasionally something similar. Since I have no f'ing idea what the hell that means, I usually just don't submit to those agency. You see, I am a rank coward.

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
If it's non-fiction, it makes sense. If it's fiction, head on over to Bewares and Background Checks and do a search on the agent.

Of course, that's my recommendation for any and every agent you're looking at -- use B&BC and Preditors and Editors to be sure you're querying someone you'd want to be represented by.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
It's fiction, and he's a very well-known agent. That's why I was surprised.

JamieFord

giving resonant directions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieford.com
That's a little odd, but if you sell your book your publisher might ask you something similar so it's probably not a bad idea to be prepared.

Other things you might include could be:

Apply to regional and national book festivals.
Do mailings 6 months out, 3 months out, 1 month out.
Go on a stock signing tour of indy bookstores.
Line up speaking engagements with associations related to your book.
Brush and floss daily...

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what are you willing to do?

Jamie mentioned some good things. Some other potential avenues for book promotion include:

- alumni associations (promotion and events)
- professional associations (promotion and events)
- guest blogging
- "virtual tours" of review blogs
- book trailers
- podcasts
- hiring an outside publicist to complement the publisher's efforts
- contests
- direct mailings to book clubs
- broadcast and Internet media interviews

Bella Stander's book promotion website is a useful place to look for ideas.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
No. Not a lot. I have read that particular line and occasionally something similar. Since I have no f'ing idea what the hell that means, I usually just don't submit to those agency. You see, I am a rank coward.

Ditto. I've seen stuff similar and passed on to the next agent. Not that it matters. No bites yet. But ONE day....

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Well, what are you willing to do?

Jamie mentioned some good things. Some other potential avenues for book promotion include:

- alumni associations (promotion and events)
- professional associations (promotion and events)
- guest blogging
- "virtual tours" of review blogs
- book trailers
- podcasts
- hiring an outside publicist to complement the publisher's efforts
- contests
- direct mailings to book clubs
- broadcast and Internet media interviews

Bella Stander's book promotion website is a useful place to look for ideas.

Sure, I can do those. And thanks for the link!

johnrobison

A Free Range Aspergian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnrobison.com
I think it's a reasonable question . . . what will YOU do to make yourself stand out? If you have media contacts, sayt so now. But what if you don't? What will you do? The website and signing lines are sort of standard. If I were an agent, I would look for something fresh and real here.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I think it's a reasonable question . . . what will YOU do to make yourself stand out? If you have media contacts, sayt so now. But what if you don't? What will you do? The website and signing lines are sort of standard. If I were an agent, I would look for something fresh and real here.

I don't mind providing all the other stuff, and I plan to research some more about book promotion now. But giving names of contacts? I don't know about that. I couldn't do it without asking the person first, and I don't want to ask for anything until there's actually a book, so I'll just have to leave that part out.

It just seems strange to ask for this before reading anything, no?

Maybe not. What do I know?

Nothing. That's what.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Telling an agent how you can and will help promote a book is pretty much standard when it's nonfiction. Sometimes, but not often, the request is asked for in a cover letter, but most often, and most definitely, it's asked for in the query and/or proposal.

While in the past a writer's promotional ability hasn't been harped upon when it comes to fiction, this trend seems to changing. More and more fiction writer's are being asked how they can help promote their book. Whether we like this or not, it's a reality we may have to deal with, so there's no sense in arguing about the merits of same. Publishers want all the help they can get with promotion, perhaps because it makes it less expensive if they have help in doing so, or perhaps because they want a book to get as much exposure as possible and accordingly look to the writer for help in doing so. Who knows why, but agents are certainly more aware of this trend than we are. In addition, agents have an upper hand with publishers when they can not only present a wonderful manuscript, but also wonderful promotional abilities of the author.

BrookieCookie777

Registered
Reaction score
Everyone gave some great advice. If you are still up in the air about this, why don't you try this in "Ask the Agent"? I'm not sure whose the guest agent right now - I haven't been over there in a while.

I've had agents ask this before and like Appalachian Writer - I usually just avoid those. I also agree with John though that this is a legit question. It's just a difficult one to answer I suppose. Luckily the agent I finally landed didn't ask me that. lol

roncouch

The Couchmeister
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm doing a little research on submitting to agents before I send off any queries and I come across this:

Cover Letter Requirements
-A description of ways that you will help to promote your book, including any media contacts you may have

Gee, I wonder how Patterson, Grisholm and King would handle this?

Actually, if I had any faith in the agent, I'd probably answer the "self-promotion" questions while thinking, "wow, I thought that was publisher's job."

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
roncouch,

Patterson, Grisholm and King would know exactly how to handle this, if they chose to do so. They have the reputation, following, and every bit of wherewithal required to promote their books whenever and wherever they want, again, if they chose to do so. But, they don't have to get too involved Given their high profile and ability to produce bestsellers, publishers and agents will do all the groundwork. Unfortunately, this doesn't apply to writers like us, at least not now. As for agents, their basic job is to match our work to the best possible publisher and sell it. They can help with promotion, but that's a job for which they lean on writer's, at least in the majority of cases -- always with non-fiction, and as I said earlier, more and more so with fiction. Fiction writer's may not like this, but the publishing business is always in a constant state of change. If one courts an agent knowing this is what they want, they have to be prepared to deliver. If not, the agent shouldn't be courted.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel that you need to give the names of contacts at this stage.

However, if you feel like giving some ranges ("3-5 potential contacts at national print publications; 2-4 potential contacts in broadcast media; 5-7 potential contacts in Internet media; 5-10 contacts at local and niche print publications" or whatever) that could be helpful.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Don't feel that you need to give the names of contacts at this stage.

However, if you feel like giving some ranges ("3-5 potential contacts at national print publications; 2-4 potential contacts in broadcast media; 5-7 potential contacts in Internet media; 5-10 contacts at local and niche print publications" or whatever) that could be helpful.

Good idea, ICE. I would be comfortable with that, and it doesn't feel like I'd be over-promising.

You're so smart.;)

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
That's a little odd, but if you sell your book your publisher might ask you something similar so it's probably not a bad idea to be prepared.

Other things you might include could be:

Apply to regional and national book festivals.
Do mailings 6 months out, 3 months out, 1 month out.
Go on a stock signing tour of indy bookstores.
Line up speaking engagements with associations related to your book.
Brush and floss daily...
:roll:

I think my answer would have to be along the lines of "Whatever you suggest. I'm the writer, not a marketing guru - what the hell do I know about selling books?".

Except maybe a little more polite.
That's what I thought the first time I ran across something like this, though from an editor, not an agent. I got the simple truth that I'm new and I'm no one and unless I can pretend to be someone and promote myself as such, there is no use for them to throw away their resources on me. Well, that's my interpretation of it. :D

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I think it's a reasonable question. A lot of times a writer doesn't understand the business side of things or marketing. Some writers think once they're published, they can just sit at home and collect the checks and the publisher will do everything. But it's not the case. An author's participation in the promotion process is very crucial to a book's success, fiction or non-fiction. So an agent wants to see if you even understand what it entails.

I don't think he's asking for a detailed promotional and marketing plan. But things like speaking engagements, TV and radio interviews, etc. would be good. I don't think you need to list contacts and possible venues -- not at this point. But if you have a background in public speaking or do have contacts with media, it can help. It doesn't take much to get media coverage -- if a nobody like me could do it, anyone can.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Maestro. I actually do have a background in marketing, just not with books, so I wasn't sure exactly what they were getting at.

And thanks, everyone, for your responses! Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.