Definitions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
Heh, I mostly get people when I point out plants or animals by their taxonomical names. Like the other day, when I forgot the common name for Hesperis matronalis (Dame's Rocket is one), but I did remember Hesperis matronalis.

Sometimes I just do it for fun: "What's your favorite animal?" "Oh, Ophiophagus hannah, obviously." ;)

Yay! I annoy people who mention dolphins by asking if it was a Stenella or a Tursiops.

Annoying event from my Coastal Plant Ecology class: There were all these various weeds that we had to know by genus and species, some of them very tricky. Ever try to distinguish Distichlis spicata from Sporobolus virginicus, especially when there are no seed heads present? However, there was one species that *everyone* knew on sight: Lemna, or duckweed, those little round green dots that float on top of ponds. Only duckweed looks like duckweed, and the word Lemna is pretty easy to remember.

So, on test day, we're all walking out on the coastline, and the prof is pointing to plants and saying, "What is that?" and we're getting on our hands and knees, if necessary, and peering at it, and writing down the names.

She approaches a pond covered with duckweed, and a wave of relief sweeps through the group, as we're all thinking, Hey, we're gonna get ONE right! Prof gestures and says, "What's that stuff on top?"

Who knows if her tone was somehow different than it had been previously, or if this student suffered a brain fart of massive proportions and forgot where he was, or what, but one student said aloud, "That's Lemna, isn't it?"

Groans of agony as the prof said, "Uh...yeah. Something else for number six, then..."

The guy apologized profusely to the group, but the damage was done. Many glares was he awarded.

--Q

darrtwish

Registered
Reaction score
It happens all the time to me. I thought I was the only one, guess not. Being like that earned me the nicknames of "walking dictionary" and "walking encyclopedia" in elementry school :|

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in the Hemingway and Mark Twain camp -- I use only words any 8 graders would know.

But--but--I'm pretty sure I did know them in 8th grade...:tongue

My writing almost always scores in the 2nd grade range for the Flesch-Kincaid test. Nice short words and everything. And then I open my mouth and...I just dunno what comes over me!

Last edited:

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
My writing almost always scores in the 2nd grade range for the Flesch-Kinkaid test. Nice short words and everything. And then I open my mouth and...I just dunno what comes over me!
Okay, here's a question: Awhile ago I read that when writing for the adult market, we're supposed to aim (with our word usage, length of sentences, etc) for a certain grade level. Was it fifth grade? Seventh grade? Kindergarten?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
The problem with the Flesch-Kincaid method, though, is that it only takes number of syllables, words, and sentences into the calculation. There's no accounting for actual content. I have some stories that scored 3.2 grade and some stories that scored 13.1 grade, but I don't think they're really all that far apart as far as content goes. I try to write so everyone can understand me, but once in a while I do get accused of being too "scientific" and confusing. And some people love it.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Flesch-Kincaid is definitely a limited test, although I will admit my two-syllable words aren't the kind an eighth-grader wouldn't know. Or a fifth grader, probably. Content is an entirely different matter.

I don't remember how the FK grade level stacks up to the average adult novel, but the readability test that is out of 100, with a number closer to 100 theoretically indicting easier reading, usually gives me (writer of adult/YA fiction) somewhere above 92 consistently. Legal-type documents often score in the 50s or 60s--highly unreadable.

I think most people agree that FK is just a general measure, though, and I wouldn't get too bogged down with your score unless your betas are scratching their heads over your vocabulary and sentence stucture.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere tax law scored a -3 on the readability scale.

Yeah, "quantum," "photon," "spacetime," and "atom" are all two syllables, but apparently made one of my poems "too scientific" for one reader...

Although, I think I may have used "isochronal," "capillary," "chimera," "isotope," and "schizogenetic" in that poem, too. Or was that a different one? But I thought everyone knew those...

ETA: Now that I think about it, they were different poems... and the two syllable words are the ones that got the "too scientific" comment.

Last edited:

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere tax law scored a -3 on the readability scale.

Yeah, "quantum," "photon," "spacetime," and "atom" are all two syllables, but apparently made one of my poems "too scientific" for one reader...

Geez, what are they teaching in schools these days??

Good example of how FK is not particularly useful except in technical writing. Of course, if I scored a -3 (out of 100????) in my fiction I would be tearing my hair out.

It is interesting to compare formal writing, like a research paper, to a piece of fiction...while my paper hopefully takes less thought to grasp, it takes more words and syllables to get there, so it might be in the 80s/100, or maybe 5th grade level, whereas my fiction would be in the 90s and more like a grade 2--but I haven't spelled everything out the way I would in a formal paper.

Quossum

Registered
Reaction score
Flesch-Kincaid is definitely a limited test, although I will admit my two-syllable words aren't the kind an eighth-grader wouldn't know.

Yes, and this gives us a devil of a time at school. We encourage the kids to read at or around their own reading level (tested, not their grade level!), trying to prevent both literary laziness and getting overwhelmed by books over their heads. But in reality, many "low" reading level books have a very mature "concept load" and are only appropriate for kids with high reading / maturity levels, even though technically those books are "too easy" for them. Arrgghhh!

Example: The Firm has a 4th grade reading level, by the measure we use. Only certain types of 8th graders, the types with insanely huge reading levels (like post-high school), even want to read that book, so I would always let them.

--Q

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Example: The Firm has a 4th grade reading level, by the measure we use. Only certain types of 8th graders, the types with insanely huge reading levels (like post-high school), even want to read that book, so I would always let them.

Even I wouldn't really want to read The Firm. But then, I'm not one for legal thrillers. One the other hand, I think Foucault's Pendulum is a great page-turner.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Geez, what are they teaching in schools these days??

I think the fact that I'm a physics major and use abstract quantum mechanical theories as metaphors for everyday actions instead of the other way around tends to confuse people.

Status
Not open for further replies.