• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for a Beta, Contemporary YA (will swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

strandedhero

Registered
Reaction score
I've gotten some great feedback on my first thousand words on SYW (you can read them here) and am looking for a beta willing to comment on the other 61,000 of them.

If we're a good fit, I'm willing to swap, especially if you also write contemporary YA :)

I'm always interested in general feedback, but I've gone through several drafts with this already and would also love to hear some more specific comments.

To give you an idea of my novel, here's my query.
--

After three years of being pricked by more needles than a heroin addict, an invasive surgery puts seventeen-year-old Shayla’s Crohn’s disease in remission, giving her the chance to take back control of her body–– at least temporarily.

Shayla fights the sickness that’s defined her by signing up for boxing classes, finding strength beneath the scar her surgery left behind. She applies for a college program she’s passionate about, away from the shadow of her disease. And when formula-loving and Sudoku-playing Travis asks her out on her first date, Shayla says yes immediately.

But the emotional, and physical intimacy that develops between Shayla and Travis is scarier than any of the experimental drugs she’s taken, and it has unpredictable side effects. Travis wants to know Shayla beneath the surface, but she’s spent years hardening herself to survive an incurable disease.

Conquering her body was easy compared to the struggle Shayla faces in conquering her heart.

SICKGIRL is a young adult novel, complete at 62,000 words.
--
Thanks in advance and feel free to send me a PM if you’re interested!

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Hi Strandedhero,

I'm familiar with you, and I read the opening chapter about a week ago in SYW.

Since reading your post here, I have been seriously thinking about a beta swap with yours, if you're interested in mine. I've been reworking the query in QLH, and so far two people like this version.

See if you're interested. Oh, interesting that your MC is a "sick girl." So is my MC. In the story, she's diagnosed with diabetes, and does not want to be known as "the sick girl."

Emily Bell starts a YouTube webshow hoping to come up with something so outrageous it goes viral. Instead she lands a stalker. Someone who knows her cell phone number is sending harassing texts. A typical high school sophomore might tell her parents. Not Emily. Her new follower seems to know her darkest secret: she witnessed a murder while out with an older boy she was forbidden to see, and never told anyone.

Her grades start slipping; she gets behind in all her classes. After she gets caught cheating, her parents take away her show. But the stalker won’t quit. He threatens to reveal her secret unless she keeps doing her show. In desperation, she plans to go online behind her parents’ backs and explain why she kept the secret, hoping he stops. Also, the police might be more lenient if she confesses she withheld evidence of the crime.

Doing so will destroy a friendship. Her parents will permanently yank away the webshow that thousands of viewers are now watching. Worst of all, everyone at school will learn where she was two years ago. And what she was up to.

However, the stalker is tired of waiting.

I KNOW UR SECRET is a young adult suspense novel at 59,000 words.

strandedhero

Registered
Reaction score
underthecity- your story definitely intrigues me and I would certainly be willing to do a swap. Sending a PM your way :)

serita

Registered
Reaction score
YA beta

Sorry, been busy on deadlines so I haven't been here for a bit.
I'd be happy to read it for you. I don't like reading at my computer. I prefer to print out and read hard copies. Can I do that?
I am doing more screenwriting than novels, at the moment, but you're welcome to read one of my screenplays.
I would change the title from Sick Girl...doesn't have a catchy ring to it.
You can email me directly at [email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.