General anime discussion thread

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think I'm getting tired of the age-old "showing either a collage or a series of character's faces accompanied by a 'dramatic' sound for each one in Bleach, and other anime as well."
Seriously, why is that technique popular?

Are you talking about OP's or in the actual show? I avoid the Big Three Shounen entirely, so I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about. I've seen montages put to very good use, but I'm not exactly referring to generic shounen series when I say that.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
In the show(s).
Like, any time something happens they just have to show every character's face looking startled/surprised. It's worse in the anime with large casts of characters.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
In the show(s).
Like, any time something happens they just have to show every character's face looking startled/surprised. It's worse in the anime with large casts of characters.

So, it's basically what Nichijou's parodying here for example? If so, I know what you mean.

Katanagatari was awesome. By the same author as Bakemonogatari and Kizumonogatari (the latter of which will be a movie by Shaft soon-ish). Be warned, you will either love or hate the ending. I loved it.

I've now finished Katanagatari, and I loved, loved, loved the ending. One of the best endings I've seen. Perfect resolution to the theme presented throughout the show, without actually making a tangible point. Genius.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Aurgh. Why, why are they wasting Alice on such tired plots?

Proposal: Keep Alice, replace the rest of Alice's crew with the NEETs from Eden of the East, and replace the dull yakuza mysteries with Darker than Black-like conspiracies, along with a Hei/Takizawa hybrid as Alice's new sidekick.

That would be fucking awesome.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So, it's basically what Nichijou's parodying here for example? If so, I know what you mean.
Not quote what I mean.
I'm referring to when like . . . as an example, Ikkakku's tower is broken in Bleach. This is followed by having an individual screenshot of the face of pretty much every character in the vicinity, accompanied by a dramatic noise.

itsaplane

all the feels, ALL OF THEM
Registered
Reaction score
An anime I recommend anyone and everyone to watch is Tiger & Bunny. If you love super heroes, then its right down your alley. I still go to conventions and cosplay, but stopped watching anime because it was all so horribly...boring and bland and unoriginal. Until Tiger & Bunny that is. Definitely something different and quite enjoyable.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
An anime I recommend anyone and everyone to watch is Tiger & Bunny. If you love super heroes, then its right down your alley. I still go to conventions and cosplay, but stopped watching anime because it was all so horribly...boring and bland and unoriginal. Until Tiger & Bunny that is. Definitely something different and quite enjoyable.

I'm enjoying Tiger & Bunny too, but there's plenty of other recent stuff that isn't boring, bland, or unoriginal as well.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
So after a long time I remembered that I never finished Shaman King.
Just got done doing so.
How do I put this . . . Ren and Jeanne?! W!T!F!?

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hey, an anime thread. I must join this.

I have an anime blog ('tis in my signature of course) and am thoroughly obsessed with anime/manga/cosplay/conventions/everything else related. At the moment I'm keeping up with 23 of the currently airing series, because...that's what I do. And I don't drop things, ever, unless it's one of those things that could go on forever and I'm just not interested in it.

And if anyone here has not watched Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica (aka Puella Magi Madoka Magica), you really should go do so this very second.

Chumala

Registered
Reaction score
I just got Netflix, they're anime section is meh. BUT THEY HAVE the full Chobits.... so I'm rewatch that. <3

I've never finished it. :(

Can someone spoil the ending and just tell me if it's happy? Like I don't need indepth, just tell me if it's crap.

I just need the words "The ending sucks."

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I never watched the Chobits anime, but I'm going to assume the anime ended the same way as the manga, which is to say...it's a really fantastic ending. Perfect fit for the series. I need to re-read it.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I never watched the Chobits anime, but I'm going to assume the anime ended the same way as the manga, which is to say...it's a really fantastic ending. Perfect fit for the series. I need to re-read it.

I finally read the manga this summer after failing to watch the whole anime series some years back. I very much enjoyed it; the tinge of bittersweet-ness the ending left was actually pretty deep.

In other news, I'm going to want to watch Interstella 5555 again before long. Has anyone else sampled this movie?

Camilla Delvalle

Dreaming of other times
Registered
Reaction score
@Mawaru Penguindrum

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.
Yes, it's wild.

Steins;Gate seems to be near the end.

In Dantalian no Shoka there were a couple of fun quotes, like:
lord Disward said:
You mistakenly sold a phantom book, and at a discount???!!!
There was a another, similar quote, but that would be a spoiler.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
@Steins;Gate: Two more episodes. And they'll have to wrap up the first episode...

@Penguindrum: Nearing half-time. I bet the diary is a decoy, and they're after the stamp but don't know it. (And yes: Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit)

@Dentalian: One of the better shows this season. Very consistent in quality, not relying on special effects too much.

Next season:

Persona 4 (first time I'll see a game adaption of a game I've actually played)

Working'!! second season (liked the humour of the first one);

C3 = Cube x Cursed x Curious (Actually I'm really curious, but hopefully not cursed);

Tamayura (If it's anything like the OVA, it's pure feelgood stuff)

Fate/Zero (never seen Fate/Stay Night, but this one's got a Yuki Kajiura soundtrack and a story by Urobochi Gen; enough to lure me in at least initially)

Kimi to Boku (Slice of life based on boys rather than girls; rare enough that I just have to give it a try)

Ben-to (A school club that helps students compete in a battle royal for limited-offer half-priced bentos; potential winner - or totally stupid)

Your picks?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Fate/Zero (never seen Fate/Stay Night, but this one's got a Yuki Kajiura soundtrack and a story by Urobochi Gen; enough to lure me in at least initially)

It's in the Nasuverse. I.e., by the same person who wrote Kara no Kyoukai, which everyone should watch. So naturally, the original story should be pretty damn good, but the adaptations have varied in quality from "God Tier" (Kara no Kyoukai) to "It officially doesn't exist to the fandom" (Tsukihime). Fate/stay night is pretty good. Kind of mediocre in execution, but definitely entertaining enough to be worth watching, and damn good visually, especially for the time. The movie version, Unlimited Blade Works, follows a slightly different path, and kind of throws out the story to focus on the fuckin' badass, which succeeds magnificently if you're actually familiar with the story and willing to ignore the extremely-rushed pacing, and fails gloriously and confusingly if that doesn't describe you.

I'm looking forward to the new noitaminA series of course, and I'll kind of figure out the rest of what I'll pick up after the first few episodes, and depending on what my fellow Evageeks like (as I can generally trust their taste).

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I know I've complained about this series enough, but for a show that's supposedly about a NEET loli detective computer nerd... this show is not nearly nerdy and computery enough!! I don't think any code has even appeared in a single episode!

I'm still enjoying it enough to keep watching it, and Alice is still the only thing that makes it worth watching at all, but from the episodes thus far, she could just as easily be a regular — though ridiculously moe — hikikomori with some basic Googling skills, à la Nakahara Misaki, and I have no hope of it getting any more geeky.

C'mon, in Lain, we had C, LISP, Copland OS, a 21st Century Macintosh, allusions to The Instrumentality of Mankind, singularity, the Newton, FORTRAN, Smalltalk, etc., etc. all in the first few minutes. I know I'm comparing regular shounen shit to the best of seinen ever, but I was hoping for a little more geekiness from a show whose main character is supposedly a NEET detective cracking genius blah blah blah... yeah, and I'm Donald Knuth.

ETA: Sorry, sorry... I really shouldn't have even ever considered such potential for typical shounen crap, but... I really, really want to see another character like Lain and Nakamura Ryutaro is too damn sickly, so I'm losing hope of Despera ever getting made, and my ABe craving ever to be satisfied. GAHHH.

Last edited:

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Some random thoughts:

Durarara has some nice twists :)

Big O tomatoes! How do they work!?

I think I like Shaman King more than FMA . . .

ETA: Any recommendations for Change 123?

Last edited:

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the fate/stay night info. :)

Okay, I know I've complained about this series enough...

Boring with occasional cute. I haven't watched the latest yet, and I'm not in a hurry. I will, eventually.

I'm also disappointed with Blood C. The only thing it excells at is monster induced massacre. Almost everything else is mediocre.

Durarara has some nice twists :)

Try summarising the plot for people who you know is not interested in anime. Fun experience. ;)

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Try summarising the plot for people who you know is not interested in anime. Fun experience. ;)

Not too hard. (SPOILERS FOLLOW)

"It's about what happens when a charismatic psychopath engineers a gang war between Anonymous, a cult possessed by a demonic sword, and a teenage gang of anti-yakuza, the leaders of which all happen to be best friends in the same high school class with each other, while simultaneously not knowing each others' true identities. Oh, and there's also mad scientist, his girlfriend-slash-headless-motorbiker who's a type faerie from Irish folklore, a freakishly strong not-a-bartender, and a black Russian sushi chef who also get messed up in their crazy antics."

Which reminds me, while I enjoyed the allusions to Anonymous, the similarities between them and the Dollars are pretty much only on the surface, which was kind of disappointing. Once again, a show does not score enough nerd cred with me.

Last edited:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
Y'know...I'm obsessed with Durarara!! (to the point that I own the light novels and have more than 6000 pictures for the series)...but whenever I watch it over again, I realize that it's still not very good. The execution was flawed (light novels: much better) in more ways than one, and the 8/10 I gave it in my review remains consistent, and not only would I not raise it, if I reviewed it again I would probably drop it down to a 7.

However, what makes the series worth it and something I'm obsessed with? The characters. They're fantastic to watch. (I actually met my significant other because they cosplay Izaya and I do Shizuo, and we both slash it hardcore, so...that worked out in my favor.)

As for the Anonymous allusions--I honestly don't think the author of the light novels was aiming for that. He just thought an Internet gang sounded like a pretty good idea. Which it was. And Mikado is about a million times more bad-ass in the novels than the anime (he stabs a guy with a pen, great times for everyone). Actually, everyone is better in the light novels. :D