• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Cherry Weiner Literary Agency

batgirl

Writting broad
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bmlgordon.com
I thought there was a thread for Cherry Weiner, but it looks as if there's only some passing mentions on the Lori Perkins thread, so ....
This agency is listed in a few places as representing sf/f, also listed as not accepting unsolicited queries. They don't seem to have a website, and nothing on Publishers Marketplace.
Their AgentQuery page lists some good-looking sales, but from 1995-2001.

I found this on a conference website:
"Cherry Weiner started out by handling science fiction, fantasy, and horror. She now handles all genres. Among the *all genres* she handles a good number of fairly well-known authors in the field of Westerns and Native American Works. Some nonfiction has even crept into the mix but no poetry. Her experience is more tentative so she tries not to handle children's and young adult manuscripts, but a few of her authors are doing the y.a.run so she is trying to learn the genre and submitting for them."

Googling for clients brought up Mike Silvestri 'author of the Lazy Dog mysteries' who was signed in 2006, and Larry D. Sweazy (Westerns?). No sales mentioned yet for them. And Robert W. Walker, who has many sales (HarperCollins, Avon, Penguin Putnam) of mysteries and thrillers.
Finally I found this:
"Gini Koch's TOUCHED BY AN ALIEN, in which a woman joins forces with gorgeous aliens to protect the Earth, kick evil alien butt, and save the day with hairspray and rock and roll - not necessarily in that order, and ALIEN TANGO, in which anti-alien conspiracies, threats from outer space, and a couple of killer alligators are all in a day's work, but internal alien conspiracies bring a new meaning to the term chaos and confusion, to Sheila Gilbert at Daw, in a nice deal, for publication in 2009 and 2010, by Cherry Weiner at Cherry Weiner Literary Agency (world)."

Does anyone know whether she's considering any queries via referrals or whatever, or has personal experience of working with her? Oh, and in the best-case scenario of someone having an offer from a publisher in hand, would that override 'closed to queries'?
-Barbara

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
The mysterious Cherry Weiner doesn't take queries of any kind anymore. She has a large stable of successful authors most of whom she met at conference. This I know because I know one of her authors. She has to like you as well as your books before she'll take you on as a client. I'm not sure about the offer in hand thing. I doubt that would make much difference. She's super successful at what she does. If you could nab her as an agent through referral, she might take a look, but probably not before she met you.

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
I met her at conference..she currently has my full. Does anyone know what her response time is? Normally she asks for an exclusive but..with me she said she'd take her chances..since I was new and wanted to pitch to other agents.

When I talked to her she had just signed a sixteen year old...I just turned 18 myself. She seems keen on young writers..or more open to it than other agents I'd say.

Does anyone know anything else about her?? Like how long she takes to read...? It's been two months and the wait is definitely not fun..

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Cherry's my agent. She's great, and works very hard for her authors. As already stated, she almost never takes new clients unless she's met you at a conference. Larry S. (who I know personally) has several books sold by Cherry, btw, and most are Westerns. She sold my first book to DAW, that 2-book deal highlighted in the original post, in 6 months (which is fast for a new author).

Barbara, if you do have an offer in hand, yes, most likely, Cherry, like many other agents, would be willing to forgo meeting you in person. As with anything, pick carefully. For me, Cherry was one of my top 10 hoped for agents, because she carries all forms of commercial fiction, other than Children's, and I write all forms of commercial fiction, other than Children's. :D I didn't want to have to find yet another agent -- getting one is hard enough! I also wanted an agent truly interested in my writing career, which she most definitely is, with all her authors. She's been an agent for over 30 years, and has a full list, but is always open to new authors, making her something of a rarity.

Evvie, as for wait time, I know she has at least 20 requested manuscripts in her pile waiting to be read. If she said she'll get to you, she will. However, 3 months is a FAST read from most agents, especially if they have your full in hand. If Cherry didn't give you a general time to check, I'd drop her an email after it's been 4 months, but not before. If she did give you a time, wait at least 2 weeks after it to check.

This is kind of true for all agents. They are busy, busy people. For we writers, the waiting seems interminable, but look at it this way -- when said agent becomes yours, do you want him or her reading manuscripts from new authors, or do you want him or her selling your book? We all know the answer -- we want them selling our books. Which they do, 8am-6pm M-F. They get to read their requested MSs in all those other free hours. In between eating, sleeping, and having lives. :D

This is a hurry up and wait business, and once the MS is there, you're on "wait". My advice is -- write another book. Why? Because, after the "yes I'd like to represent you" moments, the first words out of your agent's mouth are going to be, "What else do you have for me?" Be sure to have that "else" ready or in process. (It makes the waiting go much faster, too.)

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Gotta be the worst name I've ever heard.
Those of us represented by her don't mind it at all.

As a not so gentle reminder, agents and editors do come onto AW and they do look at where their names and their friends' names show up.

Truly, making fun of anyone's name, particularly a successful agent's, isn't the brightest move an author could make. And, you're not nearly as anonymous as you think you are.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score

As a not so gentle reminder, agents and editors do come onto AW and they do look at where their names and their friends' names show up.

Truly, making fun of anyone's name, particularly a successful agent's, isn't the brightest move an author could make. And, you're not nearly as anonymous as you think you are.

Actually, he's not anonymous at all, if you look at all those links.

As someone who also has a weird name (I was "Bozo" all through high school) I have great admiration for those who wear their names proudly.

And it could be worse. :)

Note: as I point out on that link, that agency has a very good reputation, too.

frandavea

Registered
Reaction score

It was not my intention to make fun of the name, nor the agent. For that, I apologize to anyone who took offense at what I wrote. It was meant more as a 'tough break in the name department' comment, which in hindsight, has no place in this forum.

Again, sorry.

And, yes, I know I'm not anonymous.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
It was not my intention to make fun of the name, nor the agent. For that, I apologize to anyone who took offense at what I wrote. It was meant more as a 'tough break in the name department' comment, which in hindsight, has no place in this forum.

Again, sorry.

And, yes, I know I'm not anonymous.
Very polite and well worded apology very happily accepted. :)

Evvie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dormroomdreamer.blogspot.com
Oh my gosh! I checked this thread constantly last year and was so sad when I found no responses...lol obviously there must have been something wrong w. my computer--maybe my internet, I'm not sure.

I know this is a really late response, but thanks so much Jeanne for posting a response!!

In case you're wondering Cherry didn't take me on, but I received some helpful feedback :) She's a very nice lady. Oh and I did take your advice! I'm revising a second manuscript!

A. R. Braun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Cherry Weiner may not be the agency for me, but they've sure got the best name in the business.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
So, does anyone have anything useful to report on Cherry Weiner? I know she reps some great writers, but she isn't open to general queries. I met her at an RWA function last year, and I have a tentative network contact with her. Basically, if I get an offer, then I'm supposed to email her agency. I like that she represents science fiction and fantasy as well as romance and erotica. I like that she knows everyone in the business. I worry that she may be nearing retirement, but I'd hope she's been training the next generation.

I'm looking for positive and negative feedback, since I'm close to a couple of offers. Cherry may be my last hope for a capable agent. PM me if you don't want the info to be public.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Nope, no website that I know of. She's not open to general queries, and prefers to get a rec from someone she already knows, and/or meet new writers at conventions, workshops, etc. She's my agent, through the series of silly/unlikely events I alluded to above. I'm very happy with her. But I'd met her a year before she agreed to rep me.

truantoranje

Registered
Reaction score
Nope, no website that I know of. She's not open to general queries, and prefers to get a rec from someone she already knows, and/or meet new writers at conventions, workshops, etc. She's my agent, through the series of silly/unlikely events I alluded to above. I'm very happy with her. But I'd met her a year before she agreed to rep me.

Thanks for the info. It proves that old axiom it's not what you know, it's who you know. And that's not a bad thing (I have a film adaptation of my novel in development because I happen to know a movie producer). Get it where you can!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I honestly think it's a combo of 'what' followed by 'who'. Unless you have something to back it up, 'who' will rarely get you more than a convo in a hotel bar.

Cherry was my agent for four years on one project, and I can't say enough good things about her. I'm going in a direction she doesn't represent much, hence the change. If she reps your work...you are in professional hands.