• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Green Shore Publishing

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I was so looking forward to finding out which books these authors had written. And was it my monitor, my eyes or the low quality of the video that made Clive look as though he was appearing against a chroma keyed background?

I made screen grabs of the three satisfied GSP customers in mid-spiel and had a bit of fun with Google image search, possibly the best invention since Nutella. 'Jack' didn't ring any digital bells, 'Clive' remains nothing but a tragic victim of bad green screen work, but here's 'Richard' singing the praises of Forex Trading Writers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGtHe9lRPWI

Something tells me it was recorded on the same day and in the same room as his 'author testimonial' for GSP, or perhaps that's just his favourite shirt.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
It's like the party I know I should leave before it turns into a drunken, shooty brawl - but a nihilistic part of me just wants to hang around and see what happens next.

Filigree, that was either a typo for "shouty" or you go to much more exciting parties than I do.

And what happened to Conor? Come back, lad! We're dying to hear more!

Sixpence

Registered
Reaction score
Website
orlawritesthings.com
I went to look at the Forex Trading Writers site and saw their unfortunate header inviting people to "take a goose at" some of their work.

Yeah, I'm not one for colloquialisms in promo copy (given that they often don't translate across markets), but even so, using the *right* colloquialism would surely be important?

I wonder if Richard's double-duty means the companies are related?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Not a typo, alas. I try to stay away from those kinds of parties in RL, now.

I think GSP might be mirroring America Star (PublishAmerica) in an effort to reach South Asian, Chinese, and African writers who might be more credulous and uninformed clients. Especially those living in or with ties to the UK. It's not a particularly slick pitch, but GSP only needs to hook a few authors to make reasonable money from the 'package fees'.

There is no real indication of past skill or achievement from the staff. No physical books to judge yet. No indication that their distribution channels are more than the standard POD catalog that rarely shows up in brick and mortar shops. No evidence of effective marketing. A disturbing number of editing gaffes in their initial posts and advertising. An emphasis on jingoistic keywords and phrases already common among vanity publishers.

They talk a great game, but I don't yet see proof they can actually play. If 'Conorp' is a real author with a real book, I apologize for doubting him, and wish him well. I'll check back in two years to see if anything has changed.

ETA: Nope. I am done. I read through more of their copy, and they claim to have been publishing for ten years. (Bottom of homepage, under 'publish with GSP'.) Not a new outfit. Is it an older vanity publisher rebranding itself (also like AmericaStar)? They mention radio ads and book trailers as proven methods to attract readers - at least in the US, that hasn't been very effective. They claim television media ties, too.

Too old a company to be making those kinds of errors.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I went to look at the Forex Trading Writers site and saw their unfortunate header inviting people to "take a goose at" some of their work.

Oh, dear heaven!

So close...and yet so completely and utterly not right.

ETA: I see that the testimonial for Foster Writing is (apparently) provided by the owner of the company, which seems a bit recursive to me.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: I see that the testimonial for Foster Writing is (apparently) provided by the owner of the company, which seems a bit recursive to me.

Given that Forex Trading Writers' "lead editor" is Alfrick Opidi I'm even less impressed by the testimonial from www.forextradingbig.com - whose CEO is Alfrick Opidi!

http://www.forextradingbig.com/about_us/

I've emailed Forex Trading Writers to ask if "Richard" is an employee, and if so is there a connection between FTW and Green Shore Publishing.

And I too tend to stay away from wild parties in case I get gandered by drunks.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Crikey, these fake reviews are popping up like toadstools!

GREEN SHORE PUBLISHING MADE SUCCESSFUL SALES A REALITY FOR ME
POSTED BY ADMIN ON JULY 13, 2014 IN BUSINESS | NO COMMENTS

As a professional writer I have always been looking for a book publishing service that could actually help me make successful sales.

Have you tried submitting your work to a real publisher instead of using a book publishing service?

Now, there have been times when I was barely able to pay my monthly bills and not because my manuscripts were worthless – quite on the contrary, as critics stated – but due to the fact that the publishing service I was relying on did nothing to promote my work.

Let me get this straight. You're a critically-acclaimed author who has somehow been able to earn a living by writing, yet you've sometimes been hard up because your "publishing service" - which almost certainly used the POD business model - didn't promote your books? What's your name and what have you published?

Besides, a couple of my titles hit the shelves in a terrible condition – I wouldn’t have bought those books myself; tasteless design and low quality paper were just two of the aspects that drove me to make the decision to cease all collaboration with my publisher.

Gosh, that's awful. Didn't you check the quality of your publisher's books before you signed the contract? Mind you, your "publishing service" did remarkably well to get their books into bricks and mortar bookstores.

I decided to give it another try and contacted Green Shore Publishing at the suggestion of a fellow writer. I was skeptical at first, but when I saw that high quality production really is a standard for this company, I stoppd having doubts.

So you've actually laid eyes on GSP's elusive books! What's the name of this fellow writer? Is he or she a GSP author?

Last, but certainly not least at all, I have to say that I have never dreamt about such a successful sales rate. Now I can really sit back, relax and cultivate my passion for creative writing – all thanks to Green Shore Publishing!
http://biohunt.net/green-shore-publishing-made-successful-sales-reality/

I'm afraid the rest of us can only dream about GSP's "successful sales rate" because we can't find any evidence that the company has ever published a single book.

biohunt.net is another Domains By Proxy job but all its content can be found on the previously mentioned sustainabledesigncorp.org.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Hmmm...I believe the Advertising Standards Authority takes a dim view of questionable testimonials.

(Questionable Testimonials, by the way, is the name of my new band.)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any real evidence that they've been around for ten years? My guess is that they're just saying that to avoid the "don't go with the new company" stigma.

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Doesn't look like there's real evidence of anything they're claiming :/

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Is there any real evidence that they've been around for ten years? My guess is that they're just saying that to avoid the "don't go with the new company" stigma.

GSP told me in an email that they'd only been "opperating" for six months. Even that's probably an exaggeration as their website was created in March and the videos were uploaded to YouTube in April.

I've also had an email from Alfrick Opidi:

Thank you for your query. While there is no association with FTW and the said company, the guy in the testimonial used to be our employee.

Another dead end...

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Aliceshortcake, I am hooked on this detective story. (Which is narrated in my head by Oscar Wilde.) (Or Stephen Fry playing Wilde, such is the power of popular culture.)

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Aliceshortcake, I am hooked on this detective story. (Which is narrated in my head by Oscar Wilde.) (Or Stephen Fry playing Wilde, such is the power of popular culture.)

What a delightful compliment!

*places green carnation in buttonhole, takes cab to the Cafe Royal for champagne with Bosie*

Mike99

Registered
Reaction score
GSP

I received a contract from GSP a while back. I also received another contract from Raider Publishing (Raider Publishing International
350 5th Ave. – 59th Floor, New York) at about the same time. As it turns out they have almost the same T&C. The weird thing is: they have the same signature on the contract (one as Raider Publishing Director, the other as GSP Rep!!)

I'm quite new to this but thanks so much Alice & Co for this thread, it really is an eye opener. I was having similar difficulties with vanity galleries (when I was trying to show my paintings).. for some weird reason I thought publishing fiction would be different!!!

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I received a contract from GSP a while back. I also received another contract from Raider Publishing (Raider Publishing International
350 5th Ave. – 59th Floor, New York) at about the same time. As it turns out they have almost the same T&C. The weird thing is: they have the same signature on the contract (one as Raider Publishing Director, the other as GSP Rep!!)

Ye gods. Just when you thought things couldn't get any more bizarre! Here's the signature from my contract:

GSPsig_zps1a918ae9.jpg

So that's supposed to be 'Adam Salviani'?

ajaye

partial to a gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

I agree! Though I wasn't hearing Stephen Fry - till now :)

I need more popcorn.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
More about Raider here: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22776&

I love the way Mike99 just swooped in with that info about the matching signatures. Thanks largely to DomainsByProxy I would never have made the connection between GSP and Raider.

Mike, if you still have the Raider contract would you mind posting Salviani's signature so we can all revel in schadenfreude?

ETA: this bogus testimonial takes on an entirely new meaning when you realise that it could have been written by Salviani himself, who is one of those ex-PublishAmerica authors who weren't satisfied with PA and decided to set themselves up as publishers:

Besides, a couple of my titles hit the shelves in a terrible condition – I wouldn’t have bought those books myself; tasteless design and low quality paper were just two of the aspects that drove me to make the decision to cease all collaboration with my publisher.

Last edited:

LindaJeanne

On a small world west of wonder
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: this bogus testimonial takes on an entirely new meaning when you realise that it could have been written by Salviani himself, who is one of those ex-PublishAmerica authors who weren't satisfied with PA and decided to set themselves up as publishers:

We need a name for that subset of vanity and amature presses that were set-up-by-a-disillusioned-pa-author-who-doesn't-realize-just-HOW-different-pa-is-from-how-real-publishers-work-and-so-try-to-create-a-"better-pa"-rather-than-a-real-trade-press-but-they-THINK-its-real-trade-press-because-they-have-no-experience-with-actual-trade-publishing

There are so many of them that we really need a more succinct way to refer to them.

Edit: YAPARP? Yet Another PA Remorse Press?

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Sometimes I wonder if vanity publishers like PA act like the original vector in a disease epidemic. They 'infect' uninformed authors with their philosophy and business model. Those authors either have no idea how publishing actually works, or they cynically realize the profits are far beyond the work involved. And they go off to start vanity publishers of their own.

The link with Raider is disturbing, because it indicates premeditation on Salviani's part.

This is beyond popcorn.

ETA: after skimming the Raider/Purehaven thread, I'm fairly certain this is the same guy. In which case, yes, he has been 'in business' for ten years. Beyond the owner's name, there are tonal and stylistic matches in the ad copy, blog posts, and websites.

The owner does not appear to be clueless or well-meaning.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: after skimming the Raider/Purehaven thread, I'm fairly certain this is the same guy. In which case, yes, he has been 'in business' for ten years. Beyond the owner's name, there are tonal and stylistic matches in the ad copy, blog posts, and websites.

The owner does not appear to be clueless or well-meaning.

I couldn't agree more about the tonal and stylistic matches between Salviani's work and the two most recent anonymous "reviews" of GSP. The last one in particular has Salviani's fingerprints all over it. Even before Mike99 dropped the bombshell about those identical signatures, it was obvious that the biohunt article was written by a 'professional writer' with no experience of commercial publishing.

Sixpence

Registered
Reaction score
Website
orlawritesthings.com
Tripped across this while tumbling down the rabbit hole of Adam Salviani search results: a collection of testimonials for Raider Publishing. This article is by Mick Rooney who also took part in the Raider Publishing thread here.

It's all horribly familiar. I guess we can expect a shiny video rebuttal on the GSP website from "Jennifer Holloway" in the not too distant future. Salviani still lists Raider and Perimedes on his LinkedIn profile, despite both being defunct. I'm guessing it would be too much of a giveaway for him to have amended it to include the Castello Book Group and Green Shore Publishing.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Tripped across this while tumbling down the rabbit hole of Adam Salviani search results: a collection of testimonials for Raider Publishing. This article is by Mick Rooney who also took part in the Raider Publishing thread here.

Whoa, deja vu!

It's all there, isn't it? Video testimonials from authors who don't have surnames and don't even mention their books, claims of some sort of special relationship with WH Smith in the UK and Ireland, books that can't be found anywhere on the internet...incredible!

It mustn't have occurred to Salviani that his scrawl of a signature might be recognised by someone who submitted to both Raider and GSP. If you're reading this, Adam, and I suspect you are, here's a couple of tips: if you wanted to make a fresh start, unencumbered by Raider's poor reputation, you should have adopted a completely different prose style and made sure that your name didn't appear anywhere on GSP's website or contract.

Last edited: