• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Laura Langlie Agency

Sary

Registered
Reaction score
E-query -- 2/15
Partial request -- 2/15
Full request -- 2/15
Offer of representation -- 2/24
Accepted! -- 3/03

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone looked her up on Publishers Marketplace? It says there are no deals for the last 12 months. That doesn't sound like a good thing.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
Cyia, not all agents post their deals. PM does not report all deals made; it's dependent on agents or editors submitting their own news.

LL is a big-name agent who is, I guarantee you, selling books for her clients.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
One of the determining factors (and suggestions even here) for choosing an agent to sub to is their sales history. You should be able to find some record of sales somewhere. I'm not saying she doesn't make them, but without being able to say for sure, one can only go on the available information. And it's not a good thing when there are no visible sales in over a year.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
While that sounds right, I'm with Cyia in wanting to know what they are. Because I don't see anything for 2008-9.

How about looking at who her clients are and then seeing if they've made any sales in the past year?

Laura Langlie's clients: Meg Cabot, Malinda Lo, Jessica Benson, Mignon F. Ballard, Joan Druett, Jack El-Hai, Sarah Elliott, Melanie Lynne Hauser, Robin Hathaway, Mary Hogan, Lauren Lipton, Leslie Margolis, Jonathan Neale, Delia Ray, Cheryl L. Reed, and Jennifer Sturman, + more.

It just requires a bit of research. LL is one of those agents who doesn't have to report her sales anymore. Her reputation kind of speaks for itself, IMO.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
How about looking at who her clients are and then seeing if they've made any sales in the past year?

Sorry, when you said that you guaranteed she was selling books, I assumed you actually knew this.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I do know she is selling books, which is why I replied. A five-second glimpse through her author's list will turn up sales. Many of them.

I posted this:

As polite encouragement for people to do some research on LL if they are interested in her. In other words, if you want to know her sales--look them up. It's not difficult.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Not it's not difficult, but the polite thing to do is offer at least one example to support your assertion.

According to Amazon, Cabot is Ms. Langlie's breadwinner, with a couple pages of stuff coming out for 2009 (meaning deals made '07 to early '08). Otherwise, only Lipton and Sturman have anything new for '09; the rest have pb/audio editions for previous books or nothing at all.

ETA: Elliott and Hogan not included because names too common to determine which was her client. Also, I didn't find any listing for Malinda Lo.

Last edited:

Prickly Pear

Registered
Reaction score
This is from Publishers Weekly, March 2008:

Kate Sullivan at Little, Brown won out over four other houses for a debut YA novel by Malinda Lo titled Ash; Laura Langlie sold world rights (except Japan and U.K.) to two books. Ash is a retelling of Cinderella, only Ash doesn’t fall for Prince Charming—she falls in love with a young woman.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Excellent, thanks. That'll probably be out for late '09, early '10.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Not it's not difficult, but the polite thing to do is offer at least one example to support your assertion.

I kind of figured that mentioning Meg Cabot is one of Ms. Langlie's clients would serve as example enough. Seeing as how Meg Cabot alone has about twelve (new) books published a year.

I also figured it would be more helpful, considering the other posters seemed to want something more concrete than just my word on the matter, to point out a way for them to do their own research--not just on Ms. Langlie but on any other agent they might be interested in. As mentioned, not all deals are reported on PM. Sometimes you can turn up helpful information by clicking over to an author's website and seeing if they have new releases--something as simple as that.

It's also more beneficial for an interested writer to investigate a potential agent's clients/books represented on their own so they can get a feel for what the agent's looking for, rather than having someone list a sale or two. Don't you think?

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
Me too. By far not her quickest time.

Yes, I believe I have won the prize for the fastest rejection yet... two minutes. That's all it took to determine that my project wasn't right.

Obviously I need to rework my query.

Two minutes!!!

Sary

Registered
Reaction score
E-query -- 2/15
Partial request -- 2/15
Full request -- 2/15
Offer of representation -- 2/24
Accepted! -- 3/03

Found a publisher for my book -- 4/10!

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Are the agents really busy this month or something? I was just wondering because I"ve queried six (two of whom, including Ms. Langlie are known for being fast responders) and I"ve gotten no responses whatsoever.. No rejections, even. So is this a busy season, or is it just me?