Has anyone have this problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firecam3

Registered
Reaction score
And idea came to me the other day about for a story that has nothing to do with the one I am working on at the moment. But the thing is I have already created a Nine year timeline summary for it and its still expanding. I was wondering has anyone else have this and if I should work on this idea first then my other one.

chekzchevov

soup
Registered
Reaction score
Little confused about what you're saying here- you've created a 9 year summary for the new idea, or the story you've been working on for a while? If you've created a 9 year summary for this idea, then just start a new story with it. If you're saying that you want to incorporate this idea into a 9 year timeline for your previous story, then it can be done, there's just going to be a lot of tweaking needed. Happens to all of us and it's up to you, the God of your world, to make it work.

firecam3

Registered
Reaction score
Little confused about what you're saying here- you've created a 9 year summary for the new idea, or the story you've been working on for a while? If you've created a 9 year summary for this idea, then just start a new story with it. If you're saying that you want to incorporate this idea into a 9 year timeline for your previous story, then it can be done, there's just going to be a lot of tweaking needed. Happens to all of us and it's up to you, the God of your world, to make it work.

Well to put simple I got two universes. One that has a timeline of 65,000,000 years. While the new idea has so far a 9 year time line.

Minate

Registered
Reaction score
I usually have issues with multiple ideas running through my head and having trouble focusing. I'm currently experimenting with the idea of having two simultaneous works in progress and just bouncing back and forth depending on what's running through my head and what I'm in the mood to work on. If you have a new idea you definitely want to get all the thoughts you have for it down but you also don't want to neglect your current stuff. So maybe you could try that same tactic. Sure if something is running around in your head write it down, but try to trade your time back and forth between the two.

C. G. Hagy

Registered
Reaction score
Flip a coin. As it tumbles through the air, you will know your answer.

Dreambrewer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm somewhat confused. Do most people simply focus on one idea at a time when writing? Like, they write for that one idea only until it's ready, and rewrite it and so on, until they have it perfect, and only then move on to the next?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Whatever I'm working on at the moment becomes the primary project. But when I switch off to another project, that one assumes importance. It's just a matter of training your focus.

Some WIPs stall out, and need a few weeks or months in stasis.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Individuals have different working patterns. Some have to obsessively focus on one goal and work through it until the end. Others (like me) have several projects on the go at once and when you get blocked on one you can switch to another. It all depends on how your brain works and everyone's brain works differently.

With practise and experience you find a working pattern that suits you. I would start work on one of them at random and see how it goes and if I reached a brick wall, move onto the other one for a bit until my mojo came back on the first project.

AceTachyon

Odd person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.abnersenires.com
Pick one. Flip a coin or roll dice to figure out which one. When you've chosen, work on that.

When--and if--you find yourself getting bored with that one, switch to the other idea.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
Working on two projects at the same time can certainly work, when you're struggling with one you can turn to the other. Be careful about letting ideas run away with you though, my biggest problem is that I've got outlines and first chapters for about 30 different books and every time I sit down to one I end up designing another book instead of actually writing one.
Everyone has their own habits and what works for you, works for you. Focus and discipline are my personal pitfalls but might not be an issue for you.

Jill Karg

So many WIPs which one to work on
Registered
Reaction score
I usually have issues with multiple ideas running through my head and having trouble focusing. I'm currently experimenting with the idea of having two simultaneous works in progress and just bouncing back and forth depending on what's running through my head and what I'm in the mood to work on. If you have a new idea you definitely want to get all the thoughts you have for it down but you also don't want to neglect your current stuff. So maybe you could try that same tactic. Sure if something is running around in your head write it down, but try to trade your time back and forth between the two.

Only two? I have five all different wip novels and series of novels going on right now. 3 scifi (adult and YA) 2 fantasy novels (both YA).

All of these books and series are in different stages. When I can't get passed a hurtle and the book needs a chill down, I will pick up one of the others books. 1 series is a six book series. All 6 books are in that is rough draft format or 2nd edit stage. So I do know that feeling of mmm which one to write about this evening. Just get to writing and all will fall into place.

MJNL

A Little Lost
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lostetter.wordpress.com
Dude, if you only have two ideas fighting for supremacy at once, it's nothing to get worked up about. A lot of us have a lot more than that. Make what notes you need to, then pick one project and run with it. The other one will still be there (and hopefully, many more) when you get done.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
And it's even worse when you've extrapolated personalities so well that the damned characters won't shut up with the helpful dialog and exposition. There are days when I would cheerfully love to have only two sets of characters squabbling around.

yanallefish

Registered
Reaction score
Website
howewriter2000.4t.com
Agreed on all counts. Do I have this problem? CONSTANTLY. I've a mess of books in my second stage of personal editing (before submission starts), several worlds to play around with, and several stories to edit/cull. I can't work on just one at a time either; characters/ideas from one of these projects won't shut up when I try to work on just one other of them. So, working on at least two at once works for me.

In the end, I really think it depends on how insistent your mind is about this idea: do you have just one idea for the newer piece, or is it spawning more and more as we sit here? If you've only a thought about it, write that thought/idea down (somewhere you can find it*G*) and continue on with what you were working at. If there's more than one thought going on, then do them both at the same time.

jamesn65

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nickjamesbooks.com
Also, it's not necessarily unheard of to be working on multiple projects at the same time. Sometimes it's good to have something different to occupy your mind for awhile so you don't get burnt out with just one project.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
Yes, many other people have experienced the same problem, so don't worry, it's all quite normal and you're in good company.

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Also, it's not necessarily unheard of to be working on multiple projects at the same time. Sometimes it's good to have something different to occupy your mind for awhile so you don't get burnt out with just one project.

I do this frequently.

RainShadow

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely do that one.
For me I have a history of leaving heaps of half-finished, fragmentary would-be novels in my wake, so I actually need the discipline of focusing on just one at a time. Not that I don't cheat a little, but I have to watch out for the urge to work on anything else rather than actually put the time in to get one project finished.

I think the main deciding factor for if working on multiple stories is the way to go is whether you can give them both their due. If you (and when I say you, I'm thinking of me) are just going to switch to something new the minute you start really getting somewhere on the second project, then it's time to reel yourself back.

For picking which idea to start with, let me recommend two approaches:
a) flip that coin, and if the result makes you unhappy, go with the other one.
b) Sit down to a blank screen/page, and start writing whatever's in your head right then.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.