Need help with an objects name...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
Ugghhh...I can't think of what to call a column that holds an ever-burning flame. I am picturing a wooden structure about four feet tall, square or round, that holds the flame, kinda like a candle. I thought of column and altar but I don't like either.

I was thinking maybe I should make up a name, but I want it natural sounding.

Any ideas?

Lawfire

New Old Guy or Old New Guy
Registered
Reaction score
It would depend on the situation I suppose, but off the top of my head: pedestal, pylon, totem? The flaming pylon? The ever-burning pedestal?

That is a tough one. Where is this item appearing and what's its significance?

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
This may help. There are pictures, and in part, this text:
The piece comprises a twisted column, which flourishes at the top into large-scale oak leaves, nestled into which there is a bronze acorn cup holding the flame.
Other terms to consider: torch, pyre, tower. There are other references on the web for flame pylons: here and here

If your device is permanent, I would use tower or pylon (except the latter has too many confusing connotations that don't mean what you described).

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
It's a wooden structure? Sounds hazardous.

Dare I suggest that if there's any humor involved then maybe giving it a label along the lines of "the Phallus of Eternal Flame" (urk) might give an instant visual without having to search for words.

-Derek

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
This may help. There are pictures, and in part, this text:Other terms to consider: torch, pyre, tower. There are other references on the web for flame pylons: here and here

If your device is permanent, I would use tower or pylon (except the latter has too many confusing connotations that don't mean what you described).

Pyre! Bingo! Although it's not really a pyre, I like the sound of it...it's unique, just what I was looking for.

Thanks all! I knew you guys were smart.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Phooey!
I just watched a show, possibly on the history channel or A&E, which was on the military secrets of the bible. Apparently, during Moses's 40 days in the desert, he and his bunch had a skirmish with the Pharoh's guys. The Pharoh did burn some kind of torch at night for his troops, and for the life of me, I can't remember what it was called, but it may have been Eternal Flame Somethingorother.

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Pyre! Bingo! Although it's not really a pyre, I like the sound of it...it's unique, just what I was looking for.

Thanks all! I knew you guys were smart.
Pyre is something you burn a body on though. It would give me totally the wrong picture, just so you know.

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
Ugghhh...I can't think of what to call a column that holds an ever-burning flame. I am picturing a wooden structure about four feet tall, square or round, that holds the flame, kinda like a candle. I thought of column and altar but I don't like either.

I was thinking maybe I should make up a name, but I want it natural sounding.

Any ideas?

hey is your avatar the blond girl from NBC's Heroes? the one who can do electrical blasts?

Smiling Ted

Ah-HA!
Registered
Reaction score
"Pyre" implies a big ol' bonfire, in which everything is burning (or is about to burn). The dictionary definition is "a heap of combustible material." So it might sound right to you, but it would probably convey the wrong impression to a reader.

I'd suggest "pillar."

otterman

Word Voyeur
Registered
Reaction score
For me, its name would depend on what it does in your story.

Mjollnir13

I am the Meatlump King!
Registered
Reaction score
hey is your avatar the blond girl from NBC's Heroes? the one who can do electrical blasts?

Yeah, it's Kristen Bell, and all I can say about her is...WOW!

I guess pyre would give the wrong message. I wanted something sounding unique but I guess it's pillar...or Bob. Maybe I'll try another language for pillar. It's just pillar sounds so boring to me, so it probably fits my story...lol.

job

In the end, it's just you and the manuscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joannabourne.com
Fennelgiraffe, as always, has a good suggestion. Try plinth.

term is applied to the square, flat block at the bottom of a pillar or column (or a pedestal for that matter).

A block that raises a monument or sculpture.

arodriguez

Renegade
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it's Kristen Bell, and all I can say about her is...WOW!

...lol.

yeah shes super sexy. a like the way she gets kinky with the elctrical bolts. i had to make my wife leave the room, while i watched.

Status
Not open for further replies.