prediction?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
WTF is up with the big tease anyhow? Is this a press release or the Oscar for Best Picture handed out in the last 10 minutes?

:e2Order:"Announcement at 8:00 Immediately Followed by Rioting at 9:00." :mob

If the authorities really want to avoid trouble make the announcement at 5:00 a.m. in the middle of a blizzard.

Amadan

Banned
Reaction score
It's certainly fine to withhold judgement if one chooses, but IMO one should respect the opinion of those who believe they've seen enough to decide, one way or the other.

I respect everyone's right to have an opinion, no matter how they came by it.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
I can't agree with the second part of your statement - for me, my impression of what happened evolved from the public eyewitness statements, the dueling autopsy reports, the cell phone audio of the end of the shooting, the discrepancies in the police statements, etc.

It's certainly fine to withhold judgement if one chooses, but IMO one should respect the opinion of those who believe they've seen enough to decide, one way or the other.

But then how much of that information have those of us not sitting in on the grand jury gotten 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th hand, and in many cases "spun"?

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.reddit.com/live/tdrph3y49ftn/

Here's one of many live feeds you can watch. Basically for the last fifteen minutes or so, the crowd has been walking and chanting "FTP, fuck the police" and "shut it down".

Also police politely asked them to move to the sidewalk, and they politely obliged. No hostility in that exchange, which was good to see.

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
But then how much of that information have those of us not sitting in on the grand jury gotten 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th hand, and in many cases "spun"?

It's a mixture - there's certain stuff which is factual, like the cell phone recording. Or the police saying Brown's body was ~35 feet from the SUV, when overhead photos show it was more like 150. Then there are eyewitness statements, which one has to determine what to believe, given all the problems inherent in that. (While they certainly may have given more information to the grand jury we're not privy to, they've said a fair amount in public).

I think it's entirely reasonable for people to reach different conclusions on those things, but I do think there's a difference between a snap judgment to one side or the other and someone who feels they have information to determine whether or not there's a legal question that Officer Wilson's shooting of Brown was unjustified

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
That's how I feel. Stating categorically that Wilson "deserves" to walk or "deserves" to be indicted assumes a level of knowledge that I don't think anyone outside the grand jury room has. Or, a prejudgment that was likely formed before actual details of the case came out.

yeah well, anything that begins with the question "prediction?" probably isn't claiming to be a categorical statement.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Don Lemon, live on Anderson Cooper's show is saying that a 'source close to Darren Wilson' says there is no indictment because he has not been asked to surrender yet. Live on TV, so no link.

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The news is in: No indictment.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
No indictment.

I predict rioting. Let's hope I'm wrong on this one, too.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
McCulloch is talking right now, but he hasn't announced anything yet.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
This guy has been talking for over five minutes, when is he going to say it? (watching online, so I might be a minute behind).

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
McCullough hasn't announced anything yet, but good lord is he making a hash of it.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
By the tenor of his remarks, there can be no doubt that he is going to officially announce the jury did not return the true bill.

Oh, yeah. He started by bashing all the public witnesses...

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, yeah. He started by bashing all the public witnesses...

I didn't hear bashing. I heard damage control. I heard him saying we had multiple people saying they saw things, then that information immediately went out on social media, inciting rioting. Those same statements that went out and made people scream for Wilson's blood later didn't stand up to further questioning, or physical evidence.

I think it's good he explained that so people can't say "wait, what about so and so who saw him get shot in the back of the head."

Last edited: