Moments you felt like a writer, without having written.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I think I feel like a writer all the time, simply because writing is the only thing I feel I'm any good at, and it's always going through my mind because I have nothing better to think about. Almost all my waking thoughts revolve around my stories, my characters, my plots, my future ideas, or at least around the things that interest me and which eventually make their way into my writing. I read a book and I think of my writing. I see a tree and I think of my writing. I feel lousy and I think of my writing.

I feel very isolated because all I think of is my writing, whereas most normal people seem to have lives aside from that. I've actually gotten very despondent in life because I want to make friends, but in order to really feel close to somebody, they'd have to be interested in my writing too simply because it's such a part of me, it IS me. When people chatter with me but aren't in the least bit interested in my writing, or like to read my writing but aren't interested in knowing ME personally, it hurts, because to me the two are inseparable. To be friends with me, one has to also be friends with my writing. To not be interested in it, that tells me one isn't interested in me, either.

And in life, people usually don't go about seeking to befriend both a person AND their work. But I AM my writing so I have no idea what else to do. I don't really feel a connection to people who don't care about my work. Why should I? Considering how much time and thought I spend on it, it's seriously the only "friend" I have. It's me.

This digressed somewhat, but this is why I feel always like a writer, more so than I should. There are times in life when one shouldn't feel like a writer, or like a plumber or a doctor or whatever, at least, if they want to carry on a normal life of any sort. Unfortunately I have no idea how to do that.

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I remember the time my son was three. It was the middle of winter, so dawn was just breaking against a black wrack of clouds. My son said of the sunrise 'looks just like a rainbow that burst'

Yes I used it

Mind you, the time he said 'where's the snow gone? Oh, I know, it went to the shop to buy me magic stars' ( toddlers sweets) comes close too.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
Idiots, TC, all I can say is, aw. xP

I sometimes get moments like the ones described... But they can be prompted by almost anything. IE, I ran into my high school statistics teacher the other day on campus and that prompted me to think about how random life is, etc.

jannawrites

no, really
Registered
Reaction score
Yesterday my best friend gave me a nameplate with my full name and "Author" emblazoned across it, as a means for inspiration and encouragement, and I felt like a pretty decent writer in that moment. I blogged about it today, as a matter of fact.

:)

And tomothecat, you articulated very well how I sometimes feel in small yet oh-so-special moments with my daughters.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel like a writer any time that something in my life happens, or I observe something and think that I would make a great story.

It's funny - I have some family members that do the same thing. Something will happen, and someone will say to me - "That would make a great story."

I know what you mean though. I think that as writers we observe life differently. Not only do we see life as a wife, daughter, mother, woman...whatever label we might have in our life - but we also see things and feel things more deeply because we think on another level - how would I describe this feeling or this event? How does this affect the whole picture?

I don't know if what' i'm saying makes sense, but I know what you're saying.

And that story was beautiful. You'll make a good mom, and I remember the buttercup test too. :)

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
I remember thinking that I should remember all the details, for later writing use, the night my apartment burned down.

It was years after that before I got serious about writing, but really, that was the evening I should have known.

Disa

Registered
Reaction score
Website
disawylde.wordpress.com
I almost never feel like a writer, but the past few months things have changed. When a situation occurs and I would normally get pissed off about it, lately I've just taken that intense feeling of rejection, inspiration, anger, or whatever the case may be, stepped outside of it and turned it into a story. Also, I find that when I am watching TV shows with unsavory characters doing horribly atrocious things to each other that I thought I could never create in a million years, I go, "what a great character, or what a great plot twist". I think I'm beginning to see past the story line and into the deeper developmental stages- or something. Seeing things outside of themselves makes me feel like a writer.

I also think you'll be a great mother, and we used to do the buttercup test, too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.