Indoor/outdoor cats, litterboxes, etc. - a poopy topic (cats)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Since one of my dogs has bone cancer :(, and we don't want to feel like we are replacing her, my spouse and I are talking about adopting a kitten next kitten season. We'd prefer a grown up cat, but we kind of like the idea of one being raised alongside our dogs, since the last time that happened (it was a roommate's kitty) they were all snuggly together and best friends.

See, I am allergic to cats. I won't even notice one cat per thousand square feet; three would be pushing it; four or more is a nightmare. However, I cannot handle touching a used litterbox in any capacity whatsoever. When my spouse and I were recently fostering kittens, simply having the litterbox in the master bathroom made me break out in hives, my eyes turn blood red, et cetera.

How immoral do you guys consider it to keep an indoor/outdoor cat? I want one declawed, too, so that's another factor. We live in a suburb with decently slow drivers way out in the country - our house is about a quarter mile from the highway.

Also, is there any alternative that you guys know of to litterbox versus indoor/outdoor?

Also: no, my spouse is not good about keeping the litterbox clean.

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
Indoor/outdoor isn't such a big deal (so long as you have a cat flap so the cat can come and go as it wishes). True, there's always a risk... but that's life (for humans too). I would find it crueler to restrict a cat to living indoors only... but that's just me.

I'd beg you (please!) not to have the cat declawed though. It's not a simple nail trim (it's considered animal cruelty in many places) and the process destroys the cats ability to groom, hunt, climb and defend itself from its enemies (among other things). This is much more likely to bring harm to the cat than a passing motorist.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
All other issues aside, a declawed cat should not be outdoors IMHO. They can neither fight not climb to escape danger.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
My pair of kitties is indoor/outdoor. However, we still have to keep a litterbox, as they won't go outside in bad weather. So bear that in mind. (in summer we only have to empty the litterbox very rarely, but wintertime it's going to be much more frequent.)

I'd also suggest that they don't go outside at all until they are neutered, to prevent yet more unwanted kittens who will have short, brutal lives.

Seconding on the declawed. While there are legitimate reasons to have it done, it's not a simple procedure and can have many complications. If they're going outside and are declawed, they won't be able to climb things in order to escape other predators, nor defend themselves from agressor cats. Have you considered those little plastic nail-caps instead?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Outdoor cats have shorter lives overall, and not just because of cars. Wild animals, loose dogs, etc. are also issues. With a declawed (which is another whole can of worms), you're reducing the cat's chance of being able to fight when it encounters another animal. Immoral? I can't be the judge of that. It's not something I'd ever do, though. (Especially declawing.)

Also, your neighbors won't be pleased if your kitty decides to use their garden as a litterbox. Especially if they're growing food items in it. (And I've seen people get violent at cats for that. Totally not the animal's fault, though.)

My suggestion would be a self-cleaning litterbox. Then all that would be needed to be done is to periodically dump the waste container.

Last edited:

EarlyBird

Grinding it out
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twentyfoursevenlife.com
Indoor/outdoor cat not immoral.

Any cat declawed, immoral. .02. Claws are an extension of their paws, and NOT like our fingernails. Google it.

We don't do litter boxes. Ick. Our cat, and the one before it, were indoor/outdoor. We rescued them from shelters and after an initial adjustment period of a few-several days (depending on the cat), we transitioned them to use the bathroom outside. Our method is to move the litter box a few inches per day until it is right next to a door. The next step is to place the litter box right outside the door, leaving the door cracked. Naturally, this works best when the weather is temperate; both times we did this was in the fall. Over the next few days, the box is moved further and further away from the house, and finally, we dump it in the woods next to our home. From then on, kitty is trained to go outside to potty. You have to pick on their cues to go out, though. Our one cat didn't meow much, so when he started staring out the window, we'd put him out. The cat we have now is very vocal, so she lets us know unequivocally when she wants out (or back in). As far as nighttime, if our cat doesn't come in (her choice and sometimes she wants to be out at night), we have a front and rear porch where she can snuggle up on one of several chairs and get out of any inclement weather. A cat should have some sort of shelter out of doors, just in case.

I've edited this to add: why do you want a declawed cat? To avoid scratching furniture? I've never had a cat who did that, probably because a. they were indoor/outdoor and had access to natural items to scratch, and b. we have a cat tree indoors with several scratching posts on it, just in case she wants to scratch while inside. Out cat loves the cat tree and uses it all the time.

Last edited:

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
SELF-CLEANING LITTERBOX! THERE WE GO! Thank you! That is brilliant. And we can put it in the garage so I don't have to go near it. I really did not want to have to do the indoor/outdoor thing.

I'd beg you (please!) not to have the cat declawed though. It's not a simple nail trim (it's considered animal cruelty in many places) and the process destroys the cats ability to groom, hunt, climb and defend itself from its enemies (among other things). This is much more likely to bring harm to the cat than a passing motorist.

I knew this would open a can of worms. I don't have a choice in the matter. Cat scratches are even worse than litterboxes, I'm afraid. ETA: And I don't even do well with them making biscuits on me.

I'm not a fan of it either, trust me, not just for the reasons you describe but 'cause declawed cats can become biters.

I'll actually be looking to adopt a kitten or cat that's already been declawed so I can feel better about it (and know if it's a biter). Hopefully I can find a young-ish cat or kitten that way.

Last edited:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I knew this would open a can of worms. I don't have a choice in the matter. Cat scratches are even worse than litterboxes, I'm afraid. ETA: And I don't even do well with them making biscuits on me.

I'm not a fan of it either, trust me, not just for the reasons you describe but 'cause declawed cats can become biters.

I'll actually be looking to adopt a kitten or cat that's already been declawed so I can feel better about it (and know if it's a biter). Hopefully I can find a young-ish cat or kitten that way.

I can understand it seeming like a necessity, and I can understand getting one that's already been declawed could be a compromise (so long as it comes from a rescue and not a place that purposely declaws prior to selling - which might be the case with a young cat).

On the other hand, without wanting sound rude, should you be getting a cat if you're that allergic? Seriously - it seems like there's several important reasons why you shouldn't, and only one - the emotional point of your dog (I'm so sorry, it's a horrible thing to happen) - why you should. What happens if you grow attached and your allergy does become a problem? It's a long term commitment, especially with a young cat.

Why not wait and perhaps get another dog later down the line? I know it's hard and it can feel like you're replacing a beloved member of the family, but I think most pet owners have been there at some point. Most pet owners also come to the realisation that each animal is unique - it's never a case of replacement... just giving a cat or dog or llama or whatever a much needed loving home and family. :)

usuallycountingbats

Procrastinating on the net.
Registered
Reaction score
It's actually illegal to declaw cats in the UK. (I appreciate you're in the USA). Please don't do it :(

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
It won't become a problem. I've lived with cats on-and-off for roughly ten years. I do rescue and fostering.

My spouse is a cat person, TBH. He was really upset when we rehomed the last kitties, and the one before that, and... even though we had agreed beforehand that three pets was our maximum limit.

If it were up to me completely I'd definitely get another dog, preferably another hundred-or-more pound one. But we don't agree about dog sizes - he likes them smaller... I not only prefer the large ones but feel the need to offer a place to a dog that has more trouble finding a home. I'd been looking into getting an Aussie or Collie mix or some such for agility a while back, but then I saw a litter of ten GSD/Great Pyr mix puppies, and I was smitten. Yeah, if we adopt a dog next it is going to cause marital conflict.

I prefer big cats (and he prefers smaller ones), too, but he's not opposed to a large cat - his is a matter of being able to pick up the dog and snuggle with it in his lap (he does this to our lab mix and rottie mix, and doesn't care for the fact that he can't with our mastiff. For some reason he is opposed to floor cuddling).

Anyway, you guys have at least convinced me to look for a cat that's already been declawed (and of course I mean through a rescue, not a kitty mill situation). It's not a matter of convenience or furniture, but rather not wanting to be itchy 24/7.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why you want a cat when you're so allergic to them, and seem to prefer dogs anyway.

I didn't think that cats' claws triggered allergies: I thought it was the dander on their coats.

We have three cats, and I can't remember the last time I got scratched by one of them. It doesn't even happen by accident. They're kind, friendly cats, and just don't scratch us. They do all go outside when they want to but we have litterboxes inside, too. I wouldn't dream of having a declawed cat, even if it were legal in the UK: it seems a brutal thing to do to a cat.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
Again, my allergies only seem to be activated by bodily fluids. I'm not even sure if a metric buttload of cats in a house without any litterboxes would bother me.

And again, like I said, I'd be looking for a kitty that was already declawed. They are actually abundant - I'm in the Southeast, which is less progressive on these sorts of issues. My neighbors just rehomed their declawed cat. ETA: as for it activating allergies, cats carry a lot of dust and dirt and maybe even poop on their paws, so maybe that is the reason - or maybe it's just a blood reaction, dunno. Just know that I don't react well to cat scratches.

No need to dogpile, guys. I am having a rough and stressful day.

Last edited:

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
Yorkist, relax. You're doing a good thing, giving a home to a pet that otherwise wouldn't have one. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

I disagree about the declawing thing. If done properly, with the proper medication, it isn't painful, and I've never seen a cat start to bite more because they don't have front claws. As a matter of fact, they still use scratching posts with their front feet. I do agree that a declawed cat should not go outside. Part of the reason is a decreased ability to defend itself. Part of it is a decreased ability to escape into a tree.

Regardless, I'm not going to get into a fight about it. One thing I will say. There are many cats who would not have homes if they were not declawed. They'd have been euthanized instead - not a good alternative.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Sorry, but I also have to question getting a cat under these circumstances.

My last cats were indoor-only, and I'd never go back to outdoor. The last cat I had before... well, I'm sure the local coyotes would enjoy it if I got them another snack. And then there was the stray who showed up and gave the whole flock feline leukemia... not to mention what our Husky mix did to cats who wandered into our fenced yard. I really didn't think very highly of the neighbors who let their cats roam free, when I was standing barefoot in the yard at 5 AM trying in vain to haul those dogs off a doomed cat... couldn't blame the dogs for being dogs, but humans are supposed to know better.

As for litter boxes, they're part of having a cat. If they're indoors at all, they need a place to go. Having a pet is like having a kid; cleaning up the waste is part of the package. The new self-cleaning litter boxes might take some of the "ick" out of it, but if you're in an allergy situation I don't think it'd eliminate all contact. There's always going to be a risk of accidents or health/behavior issues that make them miss the box - I know from personal experience. And hairballs... litter boxes do nothing about hairballs, and if it's bodily fluids that set off your allergies, a nice slimy hairball can't be good. Even well-groomed cats can get them - not as often, but it's always a chance. (Well, you could consider a Sphinx, but they cannot be outdoors. At all. Even in warm climates; they can burn. And they need regular bathing to clean their skin, or they develop problems. So you'd be handling it more, and in stressful, bite/scratch situations, than a haired cat.)

Have you considered other animals? My sister had chinchillas for a while. They were great fun, very soft, fairly clean, very aware and friendly, plus they go nuts when you give them a dust bath. If I ever wound up in a place where I couldn't have cats, I'd go for a chinchilla. Ferrets can be fun, too, but they overexcite easily and can nip, plus there's the ferret aroma.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I love chinchillas but I don't know if my dogs could be gentle enough to not accidentally kill them. I know they do well with cats (they love cats, for reals) but chinchillas are very wee.

Like I said, I've rescued and fostered cats for years. Occasionally I'll encounter one that bothers me slightly for a few weeks, but we always get used to each other.

FYI, I am also allergic to: dogs, dust, grass, pollen, platinum, most artificial fragrances, and work. But I manage to get along.

Dreamer, yeah, I'm with you - not at all wild about the indoor/outdoor cat idea, plus that makes them sweat and shed more and increases the possibility of allergy problems. The only cats I've ever had issues with are ones that I'd brought in from an outdoor situation (though that's still rare).

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't care for declawing at all. I absolutely abhor people who let their pets run unrestrained outdoors. Not only are these loose pets at risk from all manner of predator (car, people, animal, disease) but they're a damn nuisance for the neighbors who happen to like birds and wildlife and not having to dig cat shit out of the garden.

Status
Not open for further replies.