Daft animal names, anyone?

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
My friend had a giant Persian called Fartacus :Wha:
Oh, that poor animal.

I've never owned a dog or cat (not my choosing. Have to abide by parental rules) but I named my fish and hermit crabs some odd things.

My beta fish, Sinton. I'm not even sure that's the proper spelling, but it's a wrestling move (sinton bomb). My one friend thought it was silicon, so my other friend started calling him Boob.

Rewind the koi fish. He had a habit of swimming backwards.

Big Dude and Little Dude the hermit crabs.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Our younger child Seth would reply to "What's your name?" with "Seffie-dammit!" until he was well into his third year. He was quite the handful and heard it too often, obviously.

Maryn, bad parent (Oh-no!)

My son responds to Boo as often as his name, which is HILARIOUS when people try to sneak up and scare him.

I have a cat whose name is Leo, but we call him peanut butter. The name fits him perfectly (he's the right color, clingy, and likes to be in the middle.)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I've also had two sheep. The first was Trouble. He was. My second was named Psycho. He also was. He actually thought he was a dog, which, let me tell you, REALLY confused the dogs. LOL

Niniva

Life is just a bowl of cherries...
Registered
Reaction score
Zed the goat used to chase cars with the dog pack; people used to drive by the house just to see it.

Also, Dingus, the Newfoundland, and Doofus, the Pyrenees, were like a big, roaming yin-yang.

Reveen

Registered
Reaction score
My roommate named her rescued dog Titus. Which would work if it was a Great Dane or Rottweiler or something. Trouble is it's a little pomeranian/chihuahua/terrier/coyote thing with big dumbo ears that acts more like a hyperactive raccoon than a dog.

Not exactly the proud descendant of Roman emperors.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thing.

Many, many years ago. My first and last dog - a labrador and I loved him from a tiny puppy - hence the odd name - can't say I'd call him that if I had the opportunity over again.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A cat, Pia short for pain in the ass. Another cat was Spuddy girl and for some reason my grandfather always called her, Little Boy.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
My first hamster was called Poppy Flower, and one of my cats, Butterfly. Oh, and let's not forget Telescop (a fish).

As I don't have pets at the moment, the weirdness has spilled into my writing (just ask George, the horse).

Aaaah almost forgot! I also got to name a puppy. She was a bit flat when she was born, and when I looked at her from above (as you do) with her legs all spread out, I decided to call her "Splat". As it wasn't very dignified, I looked hard for a better name and decided on "Sea Star". She's fine now, by the way!

Liralen

Miss Conceived
Registered
Reaction score
I named one of my mother's cats "Crapper John."

He had some bowel problems. Cleared them up with buttermilk though :)

And then there's Kharma.

She's a bitch. :D

JustKia

My inner voice has terrible grammar
Registered
Reaction score
We had a cat called Muffin, which I always thought was really stupid. I said to my mom, why didn't you just go the whole hog and call her Crumpet.

I am going to have to steal that for any future furbags!

My beta fish, Sinton. I'm not even sure that's the proper spelling, but it's a wrestling move (sinton bomb). My one friend thought it was silicon, so my other friend started calling him Boob.

Rewind the koi fish. He had a habit of swimming backwards.

Big Dude and Little Dude the hermit crabs.

Do you mean a Swanton Bomb? Presuming you're a Hardy Boyz fan :D
My bettas were named Disco, Diesel, Kofi, Shaman, Imagi, Nero, Charisma and Enigma :D
Also had a hillstream loach called Rey.
Have a Pygmy cory called Little Dude and an albino Sterbaii by the name of Al ;) 2 bristlenoses -- Paddy and his son Murphy. Paddy's Mrs. was Mags.
There's a whole bunch of various corys, Khuliis and danios that are unnamed.

I have a cat whose name is Leo, but we call him peanut butter. The name fits him perfectly (he's the right color, clingy, and likes to be in the middle.)

*giggle*snort*giggle*

Years ago my mom had geese -- 2 girls and a boy -- Christmas, Easter and Granville. She also had a cat called Cookie short for Cooking Fat (or in other words Fooking Cat).

My own furbags are Spice (my sensitive, delicate old boy), Pickle (aka Little Miss Determined, Princess, Diva, Little Miss Gobby, Chunky Butt) and Pepper (aka Chunky Dunk or pretty much anything that begins with Pep...).
Previous furbags: Busta (he'd had a busted leg before we ever met) and Smudje (Spice's litter-sister).

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
My little dog thinks her name is--and answers to--Pee Pee Head. She has an unfortunate tendency of walking under Big Senile Dog exactly when he lifts his leg.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Count me in on seeing Draft instead of daft...

but let's see

Had a milking shorthorn cow named Freckles
Several cats including: Mouse, Tigeress, Peanut, Blackie, Kittie, Spike, Gunther, Del, and currently Olaf (not a viking kitty) and Sadie (sadistic little wench)
Dogs: Ausie (awesome cow dog when we were kids), Tip (short for tripod, because he only had 3 legs), Lady (dumped Huskie mix who was such a loveable girl) and currently parents have Sugar (90 pound lap lab), Katie, and not sure what the other dog is at the moment.

X's dad had gold fish who would come to the top of the tank to get a scratch

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot about this thread. Fun!

We just adopted a kitten named Kale. He came with the name, which is in some way appropriate as it's our favorite food (the boy and me), but... who names a kitten Kale?

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
We had a parakeet named Robin.

And a turtle named Tubby.

I had a gerbil named Hand. Her husband was Alexander. Can't remember what we named all their babies.

Right now I have two Eastern Black Swallowtail caterpillers eating dill that's in a vase, sitting on top of the microwave. They're both named Willie.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
When I was a kid, my aunt had a cat named "Pussy Galore" after the Bond character. She went by "Puss" most of the time, though.

Also had a family friend with a cat called "Kitty White Toes."

The strangest named pet we ever had was a cat named Frobenius (Bean for short) who was named by my then boyfriend now husband after This guy. Why? We were in grad school at the time and Doug was using some of Frobenius's mathematical methods.

kestra

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kestra.ca
I had a cat named Disease-Mo. It started out as Gizmo (which I hated) and eventually progressed to Disease-Mo. Yes, I would call him that out the backdoor.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I named my most recent rescue dog Bouf, which was one of my uncles' way of saying "Snowball" when he was three years old.

The vet techs would do anything to avoid saying Bouf, though. Bouf wasn't that fond of of his name either, so he ended up as Yoda (which he approves).

Yoda has triangular ears that stick straight out to the side when he's happy, so that people get surprised expressions and say, "Oh--that's why you named him Yoda!" I keep threatening to dye him green with Kool Aid for Halloween :evil.

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score
I knew someone who named all of her cats "Treat."

My spouse's childhood cat was named "Prince of Darkness."

We rescued and fostered two kittens from the same litter this last spring. I wanted to name them Bathsheba and Charlemagne, but stupid husband won out with Ninja and Pirate.

For me, the only daft animal name is a human name. I positively wince every time I hear of a dog named Charlie ("You should make his full name Charlemagne," I tell the owners, "or change it to Harley") or Molly ("Maleficus?") or Casey ("Caesar?" with the real Latin pronunciation, Kai-ser).

One of my dogs - a mastiff - came with the name Jessie, and I promptly changed it to Majestica. (Because she really needs a superhero name and a cape to get her through the stormy nights. Big ol' pansy, my girl.) Our other dogs are Mishka (Russian for teddy bear), a lab-collie mix, and Zerbie, a border collie-Rottweiler mix, with all the intelligence of a Rottweiler but the agility of a border collie. She likes to leap off of eight foot decks without even looking to see where she'll land. Somehow Zerbie really fits. It's short for "zerbert."

Albedo of Zero

That didn't hurt
Registered
Reaction score
Stinky-inky-buttonbottom-motorbird-and-clark was my mom's cat when she was a child.

I had a dog named Beans & Weiners, another named Pudgy Von Scheisskopf, both mutts with a mix of chow and something really big.

And my nephew named one of my hens Much the Conqueror.

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
My parents had a cat once called Face. It was short for Facial Scrub because he liked to greet people by rubbing his face onto theirs.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
A cat I had when I was young was named Annabelle. Doesn't seem so bad until I go on to explain that Mum had a song that went like this:

"Annabelle,
Rotten smell,
Floating through the air..."

(To the tune of 'Jingle Bells')

My favourite daft animal name, though, was our young buck goat called Kbottomless Kpit. As a newborn he had the appetite of a goat three times his size and he had to have a name starting with K because his mother was Kimberley. We eventually named him Kavan.

...because it sounded like 'cavern'.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Nina Ballerina...she was a wonderful Great Pyr. She danced. She ran. She never let a helicopter or butterfly land on our farm.