The Old Neverending PublishAmerica Thread (Publish America)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveKuzminski

Re: Another Lie

Gosh, I actually missed that discussion between Marti and HB. Anyone get a copy of it? I want to see if they spelled my name right. ;)

I'll bet that not one of them voted for me as the most hated by PA. That's real gratitude for you when you think of all the things I've done for them.

James D Macdonald

Gee, Dave, you just keep on makin' friends wherever you go, don't you....

DaveKuzminski

Well, that was most illuminating. Marti, HB, and Rose, I'll gladly accept service if you think your master will permit you to expose PA in court.

By the way, Marti and HB, Rose didn't give you the whole story, did she? I mean, did she point out her previous message where she tried to tell others not to post in a topic devoted to warning about PA? No? For shame, Rose. That wasn't very nice of you.

Just in case, here's what you said in one posting:

HotHeadedBrunette

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:27 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cathi I did not curse at you and I apologize if you thought I did. damn it was used as my frustration to this topic and Dee and Dave according to Cathi it doesn't happen.

Again Dee and Dave I do not appreciate that everytime I state my exsperience my opinion that you add to it a negative comment about Pa.

I'm not sure how to put this in simple terms.

You have negative opinions and are unhappy with Publish America fine you have voiced it 100 times over.I respect that.

I am happy with Publish America.

Nothing you say will change my opinion of them why because it is my opinion of them .

Nothing I say will change your opinion of the service you received.

Now this will be my last post here.

I will not be back to post again. I have already posted my goodbye and thank you to everyone on W&W

I wish you all luck with your future success as a writer. I hold no feelings and once again I apologize Cathi if you felt I was cursing at you. It was not my attention.

My attention was more unless dam it on trying to say anything in this topic or damn it for my freedom to say what is on my mind.

again I'm sorry Cathi my damn it was not meant to offend and I'm sorry if I did.

Rose
Rose DesRochers is the Founder of www.todays-woman.net a community where writers/poets/columnists meet. Are you looking for the best in custom website design visit her husbands website. www.invision-graphics.com/

vstrauss

Re: Dear Tim...

>>Why am I seeing a lot of strange mixed-genres coming out at the movies and on TV, but when it comes to books are practically being shunned (from what I’ve seen anyway) by so many legit publishers—mainly the biggest ones, I guess?<<

Tim, I think perhaps you haven't explored the market enough, or perhaps have been looking on the mainstream shelves in the bookstore...in the SF/fantasy/horror market, to which I pay most attention both as a reviewer as a reader, there are plenty of mixed genre books--for instance, Jim Butcher's Harry Dresden series, which freely mixes fantasy, hardboiled PI fiction, and horror elements. There are SF/crime hybrids, fantasy/mystery hybrids, and horror (a.k.a. dark fantasy) goes with just about anything. Have you read any Clive Barker? Try Coldheart Canyon if you want to read a pitch-dark mix of fantasy, horror, and reality which doesn't stint on the grotesque and the taboo.

Contrary to popular belief, editors are not only looking for cookie-cutter knockoffs of the Latest Big Bestseller; something new and different will snag their attention too (as long as it's publishable. That's the biggest "if" in the can-I-get-published sweepstakes, not mixing genres or dealing with controversial subjects).

As Uncle Jim and I both said, don't assume rejection if you haven't tested the market. It sounds (and forgive me if I'm wrong) as if PA was the only publisher you tried. If that's the case, you have no idea how your ms. might be viewed in the marketplace. What do you have to lose by trying?

As you say, though, right now it's a moot point since PA has the rights. If you get them back you can try submitting the book. In the meantime, follow Uncle Jim's advice: write another, better book, and submit that one.

- Victoria

vstrauss

Rose keeps saying this will be her last post. Pray one day she keeps the promise.

- Victoria

ProandCon

Here you go, Dave. Marti had not posted when I saved this part of the thread last night.

From Rose
I'm so ticked off, Despite that the rules of a well known forum I post on state both sides are free to post their opinion I'm being told I can't post good things about PA in a topic warning people about PA and accused of being a PA troll by one of the I'm not happy with PA posters.My Good God as a Canadian I do believe my freedom of speech is being taken away.

To: HotHeadedBrunette
Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:50 pm
Subject: Re: Listen
Have you noticed, however, that you're trying to express your pro-PA opinion in a topic meant for warnings about PA?

It's not unusual for PA to send what we refer to as a troll to post such comments and other remarks in the warning topics in order to sidetrack the warnings. That's part of why we're posting there when you do. Whether you're a troll or not, we have to act so that other writers who do not know anything will know that there are problems with that company. If we don't post after you or a troll, unsuspecting people will then conclude that the problem was resolved and that everything is fine now.

I know this for a fact from running a writers' advocate site for nine years. New writers always tend to assume that all publishers are okay unless they find a current warning in place.

So, it's not anything personal against you, but there are serious problems with PA. We intend to see that those are not ignored until PA corrects its policies and treatment toward writers.

From HB:

Dave needs serious psychiatric help and something to do besides paying for websites to bash PA disguised as something to help writers.

I suggest a class action suit against that lunatic for damages incurred with his website. He has been harming the legitimacy of all titles from PA for years and I think it's time he got hit in the wallet for it.

Anybody with me? I've had enough and I won't wait for PA to put a stop to the nonsense. I'll do it myself.

XThe NavigatorX

Re: Yet one more story

I have the rest of the thread saved, too. It's a little long, so I won't post it here, but I just sent it to Dave and Dee.

I wonder how PA would react if one of their authors did sue someone like Dave. I don't think Marti or HB would be pleased with their reaction.

Ed Williams 3

Dave, I wonder if HB will....

.....use a vanity/contingency fee based lawyer to sue you with, or a traditional one? :D

I wouldn't lose too much sleep (and I know you won't). This is the same HB who's going into TV script writing, undertaking stand-up comedy, and who recently claimed that he had someone willing to back him financially re his writing. HB is sort of like the literary equivalent of the Loch Ness Monster, you keep hearing all the rumors, but when you look in the water you find nothing swimming around...

DaveKuzminski

Re: Yet one more story

Thank you to everyone who furnished a copy.

I think folks like Marti and HB don't think it through with some of their remarks. After all, if PA wasn't afraid of a court battle, they wouldn't have gone to such lengths in their contracts to define that any arguments would be decided by an arbitrator. They also would have taken some kind of court action by now in order to shut down some of the sites opposed to them. Now they think that PA's going to let them start something among their authors that would lead to exposing their business practices in a real courtroom? Not very likely.

Ed, that's a riot!

D James

Re: another one joins the ranks

"Rose keeps saying this will be her last post. Pray one day she keeps the promise."

I hope it won't. Sooner or later the honeymoon ends, and she'll need somewhere to go when the divorce proceedings start.

Rose, you're welcome here. I understand because I've been there.

Email me if you'd prefer.

D James

CaoPaux

It might be up to Jenna to welcome Rose. She was banned a year or so ago for abusive posts and harassment via ez-mail, IIRC.

James D Macdonald

I hope it won't.

I agree. As long as the lines of communication are open, and dialog is taking place, there's hope.

This is a religious position of mine.

BeckEaston

Another Lie!

Anybody with me? I've had enough and I won't wait for PA to put a stop to the nonsense. I'll do it myself.
Now, who do you suppose put him up to that, Dave? Oh my. I had to lift myself quite literally off the floor. Free speech and all. Oh my goodness. I am laughing so hard. You see, I find this double-standard way of PA doing business almost so completely absurd that I can only but laugh to their ridiculousness. LOL...I'm sorry. It's just so darn funny!

For those who do not know, PA says blah blah blah on their web site and then they say, "you can't hold me accountable for that?!" It's like they want to be able to do whatever they feel necessary for a buck, but when someone who has absolutely NOTHING to gain financially from it, speaks the truth, well, then they get really pissed off. It's all not so funny and yet, as I walk to my next room to pick up my hamburger I just bought, I will be giggling. Shrugging my shoulders and scratching my head. There's no rhyme of reason for their actions. None at all.

vstrauss

Re: another one joins the ranks...or not

I was referring to a flamefest on another board (as, I believe, was Dave). As far as I know, Rose hasn't posted here.

- Victoria

triceretops

Re: another one joins the ranks...or not

I just get the feeling that Publish America has to keep their writers penned up within a barb-wire enclosure, protecting them from the rest of the world. Within that little ranch, PA
feeds them doped up grain, soothes their woes, incites them when they feel threatened , and sings them lullaby's. Completely cut off from reality, they graze around with these happy maniacal expressions plastered idiotically across their faces. And PA wouldn't have it any other way. It's their creation, of course. We'll never reach those stupefied PA members, for their transformation has been complete. They
have now become the....

Stepford...Scribes.

Tri

DeePower

Press update

The NBC affiliate in NY is interviewing a PA author who has had a negative experience in their studio tomorrow, so that story isn't quite wrapped up.

The Washington Post story is finished and gone to edit.

The Associated Press reporter is finishing up the interviews.

And the newspaper I haven't named yet will have the interviews completed mostly by the end of next week.

Dee
www.BrianHillAndDeePower.com

DaveKuzminski

Concerning Rose

I'm afraid that she's not going to be happy after tomorrow. Victoria, you should take a look at the Todays Woman site she operates. Pay particular attention to their rules of use, especially Section 7.

You can find those at URL www.todays-woman.net/dll....file=terms

Actually, I should correct that to not being happy after today.

FM St George

Re: Concerning Rose

now ya got me curious, Dave...

*clears throat*

huh?

:\

Dhewco

D James, Uncle Jim

"I hope it won't. "

Uncle Jim: I agree.

D James and Uncle Jim agreed on something? That's rare, isn't it?

Kate St Amour

"Section 7"
Ouch! Who would give up their rights forever-- for free? Yikes!

wurdwise

Sounds like a government housing program.

Section 7

Rules: You stay forever
Location currently available: Oblivion, USA

Amie87

This part of Section 7 also got my attention:

"You agree to grant to us a worldwide, royalty-free, perpetual, non-exclusive right and license ... to create derivative works and compilations, in whole or in part."

Perhaps these comments about todays-woman.net should be pulled over into their own Bewares thread?

Amie

P.S. Hey, Cao. She has a third ezboard account under "woman0ntop". Yes, the zero in the name is correct. I know that one slipped by the banning because she used that name to write some nasty comments about me on a board. (Rose and I don't get along.)

Status
Not open for further replies.