What school year?

Laquesi

Registered
Reaction score
I know these twins who were born about ten minutes apart, but one was born five minutes before midnight on August 31st, the other five minutes after midnight on September 1st. Here in England the age cut-off point is September 1st, so the twins had to be in entirely different grades!

Also, one of the girls I know from church was born on August the 31st late at night, and my mum asked hers, jokily, why she didn't hold on for a few minutes so her daughter would be the oldest in her grade.

The girl's mother said, very nicely, that her daughter was adopted.
Awkward!

Really awkward!
And the story about the twins just goes to show that any nonsense is possible, in life and fiction. :p

Laquesi

Registered
Reaction score
As a side note, I would not use anything that dates the story. If a story is set too far in the past, some readers may loose interest because the things in the story are ... are you ready? ... in the past.

2012 may not seem too much like the past now, but in ten years your book story will be somewhat outdated for YA students.

It's a good tip, but no worries, I don't actually mention that the year is 2012. I just picked a year that made sense for the days of the week I had in mind (something happens on her birthday on Wednesday, then there is another thing on Saturday, then school starts on Monday, hence August 29 being her birthday and school starting on September 3).