Depressed teen MC (suicide attempt and treatment)

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Part A:
My character is an angry, depressed 17-year-old boy. He's endured years of physical and emotion abuse at the hands of his father, and he's generally channeled his anger into sports. Unfortunately, he got hurt during a game and doesn't know if he'll be able to make a comeback. He sees an athletic scholarship as his only hope to get away from his father and have a better life, so without it, he feels completely lost.

He got himself hooked on painkillers after his injury. He drinks too much, and he almost accidentally OD'ed at a party. He also has a codependent relationship with his girlfriend who doesn't want to make a commitment to get engaged at 17. He has friends that he's been trying to push away, but his GF and best friend really do care about him. Actually, a lot of people do.

He decides to attempt suicide. Which sounds more plausible: on purpose overdose (painkillers and alcohol), crashing his truck, slashing his wrists, or something else? He doesn't have access to guns, and I can't picture him trying to hang himself. It should be a serious attempt, but an attempt nonetheless. I don't want him dead, but scarred is okay (not like he doesn't have plenty physical and emotional ones already).

Part B:
What is standard treatment protocol for a suicidal teenager? Is 72 hours observation and recommended outpatient therapy still the norm?

His mother died years ago, and his father is absent more often than not. They don't have much money, and his insurance isn't especially good.

slhuang

Inappropriately math-oriented.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.slhuang.com
Part A:
What is standard treatment protocol for a suicidal teenager? Is 72 hours observation and recommended outpatient therapy still the norm?

I believe this will depend on the setting, so you might want to post your location info (and I assume it's contemporary?). :)

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, yes, it's contemporary. It's set in Colorado if that helps also.

ETA: The 72 hours question comes from searching this forum for previous threads on similar topics, so if I'm off base with it, at least I did search the forum. ;)

Last edited:

Megann

Registered
Reaction score
The question is if he really wants to die or if his attempt is a desperate cry for help. I think that would also determine the treatment he would receive afterwards and any (permanent) damage he may have done.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
He's been trying to kill himself since he started taking the drugs, now he's just moving from dead inside to dead outside. It's a question of how violent he is and how much he's willing to have pain. Carbon monoxide, no violence or pain, just sleep. Crashed truck, way more violent, maybe hurts before you die. No guarantee it's fatal. Slashed wrists hurt. Drugs and alcohol, not so much. Is this a rash act or something he plans and then carries out? Does he want there to be a mess for his father to have to see and maybe clean up?

Answer about the mess, the forethought, the pain, and the violence and you'll know what method he'd use. It might be a combination if he really wants to be sure he dies. Funny that with death, like with life, there's never a guarantee.

I have the feeling Part B is a lot more complicated. Underlying causes and family situation would come into play, but there are others on here who would know better.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
This is speaking strictly about his treatment.

In most states, it is a minimum 72-hour hold. That will vary depending on what type of insurance he has, how compliant he is with treatment in the hospital setting, whether or not he's admitted on or over a weekend (psychiatrists do the discharging, and often they don't work weekends), etc. He will have a treatment plan drawn up before he's released, which can range from weekly or monthly outpatient visits with a psychologist and/or psychiatrist, to intensive outpatient treatment that's 9 to 5.

You say he doesn't have very good insurance. Is it possible he'd go to a state hospital? Those can be really crappy and he'd be in there possibly longer. Given his history, either public or private hospital, he might be in there a couple of weeks.

This is assuming that his attempt brings him to the attention of an emergency department. Keep in mind as well that men/boys tend to go for hanging, car wrecks, and guns, and girls/women tend to go for overdoses and slitting the wrists (more "cry for help" [sorry but I hate that phrase] than serious attempt). But that's speaking of population-level statistics, ie, gross generalizations.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info. :)

Chekurtab

Smart donkey. Please don't call me-
Registered
Reaction score
Guns and hanging are serious suicide attempts with much higher success rate than let's say 'wrist slashing'. The later is more of a 'suicide gesture' (a medical term for 'cry for help'). Drug overdose is somewhere in between, it can be lethal if done right. I'm no psycologist, but I believe in addition to gender differences mentioned in the post above, teen suicide is different than adult suicide: more dramatic and less successful. Lastly, you can combine the overdose with a car wreck, as it runs popular in real life.

Hope it helps.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If you want ambivalence as to his motivations, or his motivations as seen by the other characters, I'd go with the car crash. If he's in so much emotional pain, he may not be thinking about the physical pain.
A car crash can be deliberately plotted, or a split-second, rash decision. Or, an accident.
It would also fit in with the drinking/drugs: he doesn't have to 'get it together' to gas himself, or remember where to cut: just turn the wheel and hit the gas.
You can adjust the level of injuries: major life-changing damage, or one of those walk-away freak survival stories.

Hendo

Custom User Title
Registered
Reaction score
We had a few suicide attempts while I was working in Law Enforcement. If someone tries the OD on meds approach they'll live provided they're found by someone in time. We had guys arrive on scene once and they found someone passed out in a puddle of blue vomit. I'm not sure what he took but there was enough to change the color. We found him because he told someone in another state he was going to kill himself. Then that person called 911 who in turn called us. We didn't have an address or a correct last name but we still found him in time.

Christabelle

Registered
Reaction score
Lastly, you can combine the overdose with a car wreck, as it runs popular in real life.
This sounds like a workable situation for the story. Thanks!

If you want ambivalence as to his motivations, or his motivations as seen by the other characters, I'd go with the car crash. If he's in so much emotional pain, he may not be thinking about the physical pain.
A car crash can be deliberately plotted, or a split-second, rash decision. Or, an accident.
It would also fit in with the drinking/drugs: he doesn't have to 'get it together' to gas himself, or remember where to cut: just turn the wheel and hit the gas.
You can adjust the level of injuries: major life-changing damage, or one of those walk-away freak survival stories.
This gives me a lot to think about for my MC. He'll probably attempt to crash. He wants to hurt his abusive father in the worst way, and his mother died in a wreck, so poetic justice in his mind.

The injury level is what I'm concerned about now. I don't want to kill him, but I don't think he should just walk away. But in the middle of the two extremes, I don't want too much melodrama. He's a first person POV character whose voice I enjoy. Can't decide how much is too much or too little.

We found him because he told someone in another state he was going to kill himself. Then that person called 911 who in turn called us. We didn't have an address or a correct last name but we still found him in time.
That is very impressive that you were able to reach him in time! Wow! :)