Two choices: What Should I Do?

rac

Registered
Reaction score
This month I'll be putting three books on Kindle e-books. The first book, which I'll be giving away free in the beginning, was published in hardcover and paperback in the U.S. and in Europe. It was published years ago but still feels contemporary today. I'm putting this book first because it was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize, which I can use as a tag line on the e-cover.

The other two books have not been published. One of them is bound to be controversial. I was told by the agent I had--a prominent one--that "you can't say those things in print." I believe you can say anything in print as long as you say it responsibly.

Anyway, this is my problem: I have to keep my name on the first book the way it was originally published. As it happens, there is another writer who has the identical name with the identical spelling, who has written a number of well-received books that are e-books (they are translations of novels). I think I should use a different last name for the two new books so that my name won't be confused with hers. At the end of the kindle e-books there can be a list of other books by the same author so I can direct them to my other books if they enjoyed the one they read. As it stands now, if they put the author's name in for a search, they will get a long list of her books. I have been told that this could benefit me, but I don't see how.

What should I do, use my name which is the same as her name, or use a different last name for the next two books?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, AFAIK there is no 'nominated' for a Pulitzer, it's 'entered' or it's a 'nominated finalist'.

If your work was entered, well, good for you, you paid some money to have it considered. If it's a nominated finalist, that's an entirely different ball of earwax.

Why don't you use the last name, but a different first name? There are lots of authors with the same last name, so people differentiate by first name, initials or middle name, whatever works.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone who cares to enter their novel can be in the running for a Pulitzer; there's no real nomination involved, so claiming one means nothing. Now if you were a finalist, that has some weight. However, since I'm assuming your publisher's returned your rights to you (the only way you'd be able to self-publish it), I'm guessing this isn't the case.

Unless the books are in wildly different genres, there's no reason not to keep the name you're known under. If you first book garnered any sort of following, then it can help boost your sales if fans who already know you go looking for more material.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, AFAIK there is no 'nominated' for a Pulitzer, it's 'entered' or it's a 'nominated finalist'.

If your work was entered, well, good for you, you paid some money to have it considered. If it's a nominated finalist, that's an entirely different ball of earwax.

I was a nominated finalist. I would never have paid to have it considered.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

My two cents:

If you were a nominated finalist for a Pulitzer, then I would think you would benefit from using your real name. And yes, you actually might benefit from the other lady's following.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

rac

Registered
Reaction score
[QUOTE
If you were a nominated finalist for a Pulitzer, then I would think you would benefit from using your real name. And yes, you actually might benefit from the other lady's following.

[/QUOTE]

I'll use my real name on the first book, although I'm well aware that people might remember the winners of Pulitzer's, but they certainly don't remember the names of the losers. In the end, it's just a credential for lack of a better name to call it. I might be better off using a quote from a review.

I think you have a really good point about the possibility of me benefiting from the other lady's following. It's something to think about.

Thank you for your input.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
If you don't want to use the same name due to getting confused with the other author, something like an added initial seems like a good way to go. That way, it still looks like the same name and will still come up if people search based on your award thing. But the small difference will set the name apart for record keeping purposes.

The advantage of that method is you can use the same new name on all the books, including the previously published one.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
This month I'll be putting three books on Kindle e-books. The first book, which I'll be giving away free in the beginning, was published in hardcover and paperback in the U.S. and in Europe. It was published years ago but still feels contemporary today. I'm putting this book first because it was nominated for a Pulitzer Prize, which I can use as a tag line on the e-cover.

Be very, very sure you have the rights to do this.

The other two books have not been published. One of them is bound to be controversial. I was told by the agent I had--a prominent one--that "you can't say those things in print." I believe you can say anything in print as long as you say it responsibly.

There's controversy and there's controversy. Be very, very sure you are willing and able to cope if an internet hate storm descends your way.

Anyway, this is my problem: I have to keep my name on the first book the way it was originally published. As it happens, there is another writer who has the identical name with the identical spelling, who has written a number of well-received books that are e-books (they are translations of novels). I think I should use a different last name for the two new books so that my name won't be confused with hers. At the end of the kindle e-books there can be a list of other books by the same author so I can direct them to my other books if they enjoyed the one they read. As it stands now, if they put the author's name in for a search, they will get a long list of her books. I have been told that this could benefit me, but I don't see how.

When you say they are translations of books - of her books? I remember Old Hack - on the Self Publishing Review - had a book of translated poetry which wasn't the author's to translate. If somebody suddenly realises this other person is acting illegally, that's not going to be good for you if you can get mixed up.

What should I do, use my name which is the same as her name, or use a different last name for the next two books?

I'd be inclined to add an initial or similar to differentiate you, and have your original publishing name as one of the tags for your book so people can find it.

rac

Registered
Reaction score
If you don't want to use the same name due to getting confused with the other author, something like an added initial seems like a good way to go.

The advantage of that method is you can use the same new name on all the books, including the previously published one.

You solved the problem. That's the way to do it! Thank you!

rac

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be inclined to add an initial or similar to differentiate you, and have your original publishing name as one of the tags for your book so people can find it.
I'm going to add the initial on all the books. I appreciate the other points you made. I am concerned about the controversy--people can get really nasty when they're hiding behind their computers--so I can either respond or let them rant without responding. On the other side, there are people who will agree and those who may benefit. It can go either way, or both ways, if the novel gets attention.