The Daily Rejection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Well, this morning, we discovered a major ground bee infestation that seemed to pop out of nowhere. My landscaper said she wouldn't mulch if they were around because they're nasty little things.

They don't creep, but buzz angrily about. That okay with you, Carleree?

Sorry about the R. At least you'd written it off :Hug2:

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Meh, don't care about the R. Bees, however, are a problem. I'm deathly allergic.

Someone call me when the insect discussion is over. I'm going to go play with my blog.

That sounds vaguely dirty...too bad I have to keep it PG.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Weeeell, this horrible spider talk puts stuff into perspective at least! I hadn't had a rejection (or response) in a week but I'm back in the game. It's silly but I'm starting to feel a teeny bit down... which is lame, because what's three rejections? Especially when my novel is stupidly short- in the 50 k word range short. Considering plenty of agents (even literary ones) are going to toss it based on that alone, hell, a 1 in 20 request rate would probably be good!

Anyway though, I've only been bitten by a kitten recently, so really I have no grounds for complaint!

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
"Thanks so much for sending your sample chapters, and for your patience in waiting for my feedback. Unfortunately, this isn't quite right for my list so I'm going to step aside, but I appreciate this opportunity to acquaint myself with your work and will be rooting for you from the sidelines!"

This....is not very helpful. From a partial sent a month ago.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Carleree: bees aren't insects. Snakes--can we talk snakes? Parasites, maybe? Disgusting skin diseases?

flapperphilosopher: bitten by a kitten? Sounds like an nice little children's book. Feel free to use the title.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
"Thanks so much for sending your sample chapters, and for your patience in waiting for my feedback. Unfortunately, this isn't quite right for my list so I'm going to step aside, but I appreciate this opportunity to acquaint myself with your work and will be rooting for you from the sidelines!"

This....is not very helpful. From a partial sent a month ago.

Sorry, hon. I always wonder about all the "stepping aside" business. Doesn't someone step aside to get out of the way for someone or something else? Why don't they just say they're passing?

And rooting from the sidelines...with an exclamation point? Maybe you're better off without this person. Exclamation points have a way of getting annoying! (See?)

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
I think she's getting toward the end of her pregnancy, which you and I know makes you nuts. I forgive her the exclamation points, but not the reject.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
I think she's getting toward the end of her pregnancy, which you and I know makes you nuts. I forgive her the exclamation points, but not the reject.

True, I may have been nuts. However, I didn't resort to exclamation points.

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, it's OK - I figured we weren't on the same page, because she's a very fast, passionate responder, so when I didn't hear at the 2 week exclusive mark, I guessed no.

HOWEVER, now I'm all like WHY? WHY?

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
Mind if I sit a while, lick a few wounds?

I received a rejection on a full manuscript yesterday. My ms went through two senior editors before they decided it just didn't make the cut. I was rewarded with a long, detailed rejection, helpful and thoughtful, full of specifics of what they liked and what didn't work. I know this rejection should be seen as a good rejection. They put a lot of time in it and I appreciate that. But I'm just at that point where I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever figure it out.

So I guess it's time I stop pouting and start drinking, er, I mean writing and editing.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
I have no problem with snakes. They don't have legs.
icon12.gif

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
No news--kind of depressed today, even though agent says this is our year. Can't figure out why she would say such a thing, about three times now in the past month. She never used to before. Maybe she knows something I don't and can't reveal it. One of those real close things that's teetering on another decision. Gawd, I hope it's that. I need some serious uplift.

tri

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Sorry, Polly!

Sorry about the full reject, StoryG27. Those good comments sometimes hurt more. Sounds like you're close, though.

Tri, it's great that you've got such a champion for your work. I hope your agent's right. Keep the faith.

I spoke too soon about the agent silence. Just got a form R. It was lurking in my spam folder.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
tri, try to be uplifted by the fact that you have an agent who believes in you and is now sounding optimistic.

If folks are still depressed (come on now, guys, wait until an even-numbered day), I got a card in the mail saying this company had the pleasure before of providing heating/cooling service on my comfort equipment. I'd think I'd remember that. But, it's nice to know there are folks who'll do it, huh ;)

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Rejection on a query today and another partial request.

Puts me at 3 partial, 2 fulls out there. Two of the agents I'd sign with without a second thought, two I'd happily sign with (but aren't on my 'A' list) and one I'd like to research a little more before I'd sign (once bitten jitters, more than anything specific).

Finally getting to a comfortable number of manuscripts out there, but three are due to respond within the next week or so (according to their QT stats).

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Now that was a cool snake, Hathor.

No writerly news to offer, but smallest child is getting into the school of my choice in September. First bit of good luck I've had in weeks.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the school placement, Carleree. I understand the anguish such issues can cause.

Carleree

Queen of Catastrophes
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats on the school placement, Carleree. I understand the anguish such issues can cause.
Thanks! It won't be official for a few more weeks, but dd is first on the list and the school said it was 99% sure she'd get in without a problem. Which means she gets to do her welcome day at the school I want. Yay!

Now if the agents hanging on to my fulls for dear life wouldn't mind giving me the same kind of news, I'd be euphoric.
icon12.gif

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
GAH! We are 42nd on the middle school wait list up the block. Middle school assignment is 1200 kids, 100% full of shit. I am mad.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
GAH! We are 42nd on the middle school wait list up the block. Middle school assignment is 1200 kids, 100% full of shit. I am mad.

What happens if they don't get to 42? Is there anything you can do?

pollymilton

please hold....
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I am. The middle school closest to us is small and kind of "crunchy" but prob. manageable. The middle school we are assigned to is the one with 1200 kids (grades 6-8) and no openings in the advanced learning programs. Grrr.

Private school is out right now - even Catholic schools start at 6k a year.

Everything seems wrong today.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, give 'em hell. Damn school systems. (Every time I work on my NF, I get angry again. Either I'm not a forgiving person or I'm a moving author ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.