Rejectomancy

V1c

Hmmmmm
Registered
Reaction score
Man, i need to get a story together for The Dark. I love me some quick turn arounds. Major hugs around!

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
121 days from Read Short Fiction. It took me most of the day to polish it (with lots of interruptions from a small person) but I've sent the story off again now.

Sorry for the other recent Rs.
kd1984 - aargh, what a pain.
Aggy B - :(

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
11-Day form R from Shimmer.

The clever guys at The Grinder have made it easier to play rejectomancy. The "My Market Response List" tab shows recent responses from markets you have subs at.

M. H. Lee

Registered
Reaction score
The clever guys at The Grinder have made it easier to play rejectomancy. The "My Market Response List" tab shows recent responses from markets you have subs at.

Ooh! Loving that! Thanks for pointing it out since I normally don't bother to log in to Grinder unless I have a sub/rejection to report.

Speaking of, 2-day from Nightmare.

pyragelos

Registered
Reaction score

Yelp! I don't have that feature :( Why? Why?? Don't they love me any more?
Edit: I just needed to refresh the page (in my defence: twice). My caffeine-deprived brain could not handle the pressure.

Sorry for the Rs, everyone.
I haven't heard anything from anyone in quite a long time (like, a week? :p ) and I'm getting worried...

Last edited:

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
61 days from Waylines with a nice personal comment. Polished the story last night until my eyes crossed (tired) and submitted to another market.

kd1984

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.oneperfectword.blogspot.com
2 day form R from Shadows and Tall Trees. I didn't think it was a good fit because they are looking for quiet, literary horror. The story isn't exactly...quiet. But I figured I would give it a shot. Just re-polished and sent it off to Nightmare. Expecting my form R from them in a couple of days. :)

Batspan

My Religion is kindness -Dalai Lama
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bathughes.wordpress.com
Sorry for the Rs, all.

21-day personal R from the Journal of Unlikely Cryptography. It included encouragement to send them more.

Rats, though. I wrote the story for that call and spliced in cartography. This is the new seafaring story I described in the Check-In Lounge. Turns out the next call is for the -- you guessed it, Journal of Unlikely Cartography. I was having thoughts of a series of stories because I had a blast with this one, just not sure about completing it that quickly.

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a 36-day form rejection from Penumbra. Really disappointing, as I feel this is one of my best-written stories and I thought it had a good chance. :(

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Just got a 36-day form rejection from Penumbra. Really disappointing, as I feel this is one of my best-written stories and I thought it had a good chance. :(

Sorry to hear that Witch_turtle! I know I take Rs from themed anthologies slightly harder than regular Rs (usually because it seemed like the story was a perfect fit, and if it didn't go the distance there how will it ever make it at a boarder, open submissions call?). But the important thing is that you still have faith in the story. If you believe your story is good enough to be published, then you need to keep sending it out until you find someone who agrees with you. Unfortunately it wasn't the editor at Penumbra, but maybe it will be the next one you try. Good luck!

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Sai :) I'll definitely keep searching for a home for this one.

Aislinn

Head down
Registered
Reaction score
Batspan and Witch_turtle, sorry to hear about the themed-call Rs. I agree with Sai, & hope you can find new markets to try.

I got my first higher-tier form R from EQMM, and have revised the story ready to send out again, but I can't find a market. If anyone has experience with the mystery markets, I've asked about it over on the 'Where can I send this story' thread.

I also got a rejection from Samhain for a novel-length romance. There's nothing like a rejection before breakfast to ruin a good mood! But I've sent it off to the next market on the list - just aiming to contract this one with a good digital publisher.