Status
Not open for further replies.

Yāoguài

Strange Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thedaoshichronicles.blogspot.com
I realized recently that I'm the only genre writer in my writers' group. Everyone else is producing literary fiction. In general this makes me feel like a stripper who wandered onstage during a ballet.

But specifically, the feedback I receive, the general rules I hear, don't fit the kind of books I'm hoping to create. I don't want to make fiction of poignant understatement, angsty silences, fragmentary perception and human failure to connect.

I want to make rip-roaring, suspenseful novels that build to emotionally satisfying climaxes, saturated with the imagery of particular magic, imbued with suspense that keeps a reader edge-seated, action that thrills, and mysteries that reward the attentive reader.

What techniques build toward this kind of fiction? Jim Butcher recommends "scene and sequel" and "tags and traits." What other techniques do you think the aspiring urban fantasist should try to master? Because the tools that create a house aren't the same tools that sow seeds, repair cars, or fight off the invaders. Are there any devices you specifically recommend for writers of urban fantasy? Books, essays, or blogs about these devices would be helpful.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I'm really sorry I can't help, but if someone does reply, I would like to see what people say. I just started trying to write Urban Fantasy, and it's a bit difficult for me. So, I really could use some advice for it. Urban Fantasy is a genre I would like to look into.

Kookicat

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me that there's nothing wrong with what you want to write but rather the writing group is a bad fit for you. :)

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
Honestly? The best thing to do IMO is read the genre. Self-help books or blogs will only take you so far. The more you read, the more you'll instinctively know what makes a good story and what doesn't. The only rules are that the magic/creatures makes sense in the world, and stay consistent. For pacing, every scene has to have a purpose. Unlike literary, no scene should be in the novel solely to develop a character or give us backstory. If something doesn't HAPPEN, it doesn't belong.

Jim Butcher is a master, and he's the epitomy of an outliner. The level of detail he maps out before he writes is astonishing. Kim Harrison is also a fav. UF author of mine, and she has a much different approach than Butcher does. But she still has the mystery, action and suspense with a fast pace. Which approach, if either, is going to work for you really depends on how you write in general.

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
Generally, the techniques that you should master apply to more genres than just UF. Including literary fiction. I agree with Kookicat that the writing group you're in may not be a good fit.

Scene and sequel is good to know, yes. Master POV, especially deep POV (in either 1st or 3rd).

Master characterization. Learn how to worldbuild with subtlety. Learn how to raise tension (Donald Mass's Writing the Breakout Novel has a lot of tips). Know your tropes and how to twist them.

It's a matter of study and practice. :) The best way to do this to read and write. A lot.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
It's not like you can't have the things your writing group is suggesting in genre fiction.

But I will agree with the other commentors that this may just not be the writing group for you.

What's really going to teach you to write genre is reading a bunch of it, and then writing a bunch of it. A lot of your early writing won't be very good, but learning by doing is much more effective than obsessing about rules and techniques.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
It does sound like the writing group you're participating in is not quite for you. It's a bit difficult to tailor advice when the things you want help with/mentioning you're having problems with are so broad.

Have you considered posting anything in Share Your Work here on AW once you get your post count up to 50? Or looking for a beta reader?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Scene and sequel is good to know, yes. Master POV, especially deep POV (in either 1st or 3rd).

Master characterization. Learn how to worldbuild with subtlety. Learn how to raise tension (Donald Mass's Writing the Breakout Novel has a lot of tips). Know your tropes and how to twist them.

It's a matter of study and practice. :) The best way to do this to read and write. A lot.

I think these two are biggest issues. A lot of the UF novels I found are in 1st, and I'm used to writing in 3rd limited. I know that 3rd limited is as close to 1st as 3rd person can get, but I still feel like I won't be doing it well. I don't know maybe that's just the inner critic in me. :tongue

The characterization and worldbuilding are things that I know I have to do.

I think though I just have to study the genre more; I'm pretty sure the more I read of it, the better I'll understand it/get at it. Hopefully. :D

Jess Haines

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
While 1st POV is popular for UF, there are some in 3rd. I do suggest reading more in UF/PNR to get a feel for the genre.

Also, have you tried looking for any books on the craft of writing that specifically address how to write that POV? Or any classes? I'm not sure of any off the top of my head, but it might be worth looking into.

You may also want to check out THE FIRE IN FICTION and see if that helps. :)

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Urban fantasy isn't written in a way that's any different to other similar genre fiction. Probably more specific would be issues relating to concept. Is it different enough to stand out? Is it similar enough to have wide appeal? Which I don't have any good advice for, as I appear to have veered way too much into niche. But it is the thing you might want to find advice on. Good writing means nothing if the story concept doesn't fit in the market.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Urban fantasy isn't written in a way that's any different to other similar genre fiction

Well, yes and no. One thing that urban fantasy has to have a lot of is worldbuilding. Probably more than any other genre. Because you not only have to create great paranormal elements, you have to shoehorn them into our reality in a way that's believable. We have technology. We have cell phones and the internet. If you're going to make your world hidden, how is it possible? If it's open and known, why haven't the humans declared war in total fear?

For every question your reader has, YOU must ask it too and answer it before you write it down. If it doesn't make sense, the reader will never pick up the next one. "Here there be dragons" only works in today's society if it's a preserve somewhere that's protected from trophy hunters. ;)

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
While 1st POV is popular for UF, there are some in 3rd. I do suggest reading more in UF/PNR to get a feel for the genre.

Also, have you tried looking for any books on the craft of writing that specifically address how to write that POV? Or any classes? I'm not sure of any off the top of my head, but it might be worth looking into.

You may also want to check out THE FIRE IN FICTION and see if that helps. :)

I haven't looked at any books for tips for writing in first POV. I've really gotten help from other writers through forums, especially this one.

Truthfully, I see third more with PNR, and first more with UF. However, I'm still very new to the genre so, I could know nothing. :tongue

I don't know how I feel about writing in first. I mean I know obviously that the POV is determined by the story being told, and I know that learning to write in first will probably be beneficial to me.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Also would you all have any advice for writing UF short stories(or even novelettes)? What I'm kind of worried about is the worldbuilding and plotting. I know that you'd have to really start right when the problem or action happens, and I have read some novelettes that UF. However, I'm still just having trouble seeing it still I guess. Does that make sense? The only reason why this is bugging me is because I kind of consider myself a short fiction writer really more than anything. I hope I'm making sense.

Her Dark Star

Registered
Reaction score
It does sound like an issue with the writes group you're in, your goal's are quite different. There's a lot to be learned from every style of writing but they probably aren't going to be able to give you great crits if what you're writing just isn't their bag. SYW board here will certainly help, hopefully there may be another group more suited to you.
Otherwise you've already mentioned Jim Butcher, for UF the Dresden Files are always my first recommendation, definitely a lot to learn from that guy. However read widely, look at the SYW board to see what other people are doing, when you've got 50 posts then share and we'll see what we can do to help :)

Midian

My sarcasm got the better of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkslingereditorialservices.com
+1 you're probably in the wrong writing group.

There are plenty of UF 3rd person stories. What gets published is a consequence of what's coming through the doors, not what's expected in that genre IMO. Of course, the bookshelves might disagree with me but that's beside the point. ;)

A good story is a good story is a good story. Write a good story, forget about the rest.

BTW, Stacia Kane writes excellent 3rd person UF. As do Neil Gaiman, Patricia Briggs, Eileen Wilkes, Laura Bickle, Emma Bull just off the top of my head.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, Stacia Kane writes excellent 3rd person UF. As do Neil Gaiman, Patricia Briggs, Eileen Wilkes, Laura Bickle, Emma Bull just off the top of my head.

In what series did Patricia Briggs write in 3rd POV? I'm reading the Mercy Thompson series, and that's 1st POV. Is it her other series that she uses third?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Alpha and Omega.

Okay, thanks. I may look at the other writers you posted who write in 3rd. I mean I kind of have an idea of how to write UF in 3rd person, but it doesn't see an example. I still do want to learn first POV don't get me wrong, like I said, being fluent in both will probably be good. However, seeing as how I'm still learning and experimenting with this genre, I'm still kind of nervous to try writing in a POV I don't normally write in.

EDIT: I still need help with the UF short story/novelette thing so, anyone can give some advice I'd appreciate it. :tongue

Last edited:

Jess Haines

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
EDIT: I still need help with the UF short story/novelette thing so, anyone can give some advice I'd appreciate it. :tongue

For novellas, I'd recommend reading anthologies--but realize that it is often a lot harder to sell novellas unless you're already a "name" and are invited to write for those anthos.

As for short stories, I'm not very familiar with the markets, so sorry if I'm not much help there. Good luck!

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
For novellas, I'd recommend reading anthologies--but realize that it is often a lot harder to sell novellas unless you're already a "name" and are invited to write for those anthos.

As for short stories, I'm not very familiar with the markets, so sorry if I'm not much help there. Good luck!

So, if you're writing UF, it would be better to write novels or something close to it (novellas) , wouldn't it? You can be honest; it would be better for me to know now. :ROFL: I mean I would prefer to write short stuff, mainly short stories because that's what I'm used to. However, I know that UF is different(and similar) in some aspects to my previous genre so, it's quite possible the regular length would be different.

Last edited:

Yāoguài

Strange Monster
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thedaoshichronicles.blogspot.com
Faith Hunter once summarized her writing tips as follows:

"BIC. Hero? Intensity and POF. Kill Off A Character. No Duh. BS. Ruthless Words. Transitions. Five Senses. Immediacy. No Excuses. No Fear."

One could always wend one's way to her blog and find out what she meant, but there's something instructive, I think, in making one's own guesses, trying to figure out what reasonable advice might be hiding behind each of these crypticisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.