Facebook want you to use your real name - or do they just want you to set up a page?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
Facebook have already removed the no-search option, which means anyone can find a person's profile (including stalkers). Stuff hidden from your timeline page can still appear in search results and other parts of facebook. You can 'restrict' messages, which means you still receive everything but some of it gets diverted into a separate folder, and you can only restrict friends requests to friends-of-friends. In short, facebook's recent changes to make life easier for their dataminers means there's very little a person can do to stop a stalker without leaving the site.

My personal concern with pages is that it's only a matter of time before facebook continues along its pro-datamining anti-anonymous path decides it wants everyone to know which profile is running the page. When that happens I'm going to have to make a decision about whether I want my employers and relatives to know my pen name, and I'm pretty certain the answer to that is going to be 'no'.

Not that there's a lot of point to maintaining one anyway. I went from about 1/5 of my followers seeing posts to 1/20 earlier this year, and now it's hit or miss as to whether the posts turn up in my own profile feed. Time sensitive stuff seems to be the worst at appearing, though maybe I'm just more aware of the fact that "competition closes tonight" posts takes three days to appear compared with the 'adorable pandas' posts. I did managed to hit a keyword someone else had paid to promote the other day, which shot the views right up. I'm sure they loved that their money was helping promote my page!

Honestly, the harder facebook push people to use pages, the more businesses are going to drop the site. It's just not cost effective to pay to promote every post just to reach people who've actively stated they want to see it. And in the meantime, they're hurting users who genuinely want to support the site but can't use their own name (or have a name facebook doesn't recognise).

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think Facebook has worked out that 'real name' personal profiles are where the profit will come from because they lock people into using the site habitually. Pages are just a sop to other entities.

Becky Black

Writing my way off the B Ark
Registered
Reaction score
Website
beckyblack.wordpress.com
The issue of being able to interact with other people as your page is actually an interesting point, I think. Is there a way to post on other pages or people's timelines with your Page name being your identity.

If there is I haven't been able to find it, and that's the reason I now use my pen name on my profile that was set up with my real name anyway. A Page is sort of like an island that I can't leave and others have to come talk to me there. Which is weird for something that's meant to be a social network.

If they even see my post to reply to anyway, which most of the people who Like my page won't unless I pay.

Does anyone here pay to boost their page posts? Do you feel it's worth it?

Last edited:

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I may know someone who may have an alternate FB identity as well as a FB account in his/her real name. ;)

The alternate ID has had an email account for many years, so perhaps that makes a difference. Makes it seem legit. Perhaps new users of FB who also have new email accounts under the new name would have a tougher time.

But - I wonder, is it possible for a company - or a person - to know how long ago an email address was set up? Is there a listing somewhere of when email names were established?

nkkingston

Bemused Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.solelyfictional.org
You can use a page to interact (the little cog symbol in the corner gives you a choice of "use facebook as") but it definitely seems more limited than using it as a profile. You can mostly interact with other pages, but I don't think you can easily comment on profiles.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com
I don't think you can systematically verify the age of an email account with publicly available info.

Real name profiles are the most consistent source of income for sites that make money off datamining. They can be resold to many vendors, and they require no explicit aaction on the part of the profile owner. Other money-making tools like paid fb messages and post boosts make a certain amount of money, but probably less than selling profiles.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I suspect that if FB games didn't require so much help from 'neighbours', half the fake accounts would disappear overnight.... Using your real name is no guarantee of 'good' behaviour and using a fake one doesn't automatically mean 'bad'.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Wow.

I really think FB is in decline, esp. since large numbers of younger people, say teenagers, started migrating from it in droves. Oh, yes, many keep up a profile there - 'for my gramma,' I heard one college-age girl tell her friends at a family party. They all giggled in agreement.

I had a FB profile for about two weeks, then started getting messages from former students, cousins I want nothing to do with, and past friends I thought (or hoped) had departed the country. So I dumped it.

Of course my two daughters use it, and one for multiple pages of she and her family doing family things. For her, it's a perfect place to share and she's one big sharer.

For those who are upset enough to find a new 'internet home,' where do any of you suggest?

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
This is my internet home now.

I'm from an 'era' of the internet which said you don't give out personal information online. Privacy and all that. If you want it private, you stay off the internet. When you're on, use a pseudonym and try to keep it as unconnected from your real life as possible.

It was only here (and after a few years of being a member) that I started to connect bearilou with my real name. I am still not far and wide doing that. Only in little dribs and drabbles.

My facebook page is under yet another pseudonym that gamers know me as. I have a 'first' name and a 'last' name. The day I sign in and they tell my I've been suspended? Bye bye facebook.

And I goddamned am sure not going to 'upload' any 'proof' of my real identity to them or anyone else that has no justifiable, real financial proof of need for it. The Home Depot credit card theft and subsequent of the millions of IDs that are now for sale online is just one more nail in the coffin to keep my identity to my f*cking self and retreat back behind pseudonyms again.

NRoach

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I don't care about Facebook knowing my name, but I'm sure as hell not going to upload proof of identity for them.

WendyN

8-armed cyborg tree
Registered
Reaction score
You can use a page to interact (the little cog symbol in the corner gives you a choice of "use facebook as") but it definitely seems more limited than using it as a profile. You can mostly interact with other pages, but I don't think you can easily comment on profiles.

Another problem I discovered with page vs profile is that when you are using a page you CANNOT join a group as that identity, which means that to join the writing-related groups I was interested in, I'd have to use my REAL name. Not very effective for networking as an author.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
For those who are upset enough to find a new 'internet home,' where do any of you suggest?

If I knew, I'd be there. I've actually gone back to lj for blogging, something I never thought I'd do....

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
Huh, I know there are tons of RPers who used Facebook for RPs... I wonder if they've been banned?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
And all those people tweeting as their characters...do they do that on FB too?

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score

Probably, but I'd guess there's fewer of them than people who are known characters like Harry Potter or something. It's weird that they would not be going after these accounts first because if you have an account under the name Harry Potter that states your current school is Hogwarts and have a picture of bespectacled Daniel Radcliffe as their profile picture, you know, I'd guess that's not actually who's using the account, and that these would be the most obvious people to go after. However I have never heard of one of these accounts being shut down...

Then again, having a character account would not mean that you could not sell things to the user of that account. If someone has a Harry Potter account, then they like Harry Potter, right? Try to sell them a bunch of stuff that a Harry Potter fan might like -- Harry Potter merch, stuff of similar genres, wizard costumes, owls, whatever.

As for a "new home on the web"... for the most part for me it's here and Twitter. I do have a fair amount of LJ nostalgia but the thing is that LJ has really stagnated in its development and the last straw for me was how they completely gutted their mobile app into something nonfunctional. If you really like LJ but don't like what they've done to the place, Dreamwidth is what a lot of people have migrated to. The journals look pretty basic unless you can create layouts yourself, but hey, no ads and none of the insanity going on at LJ right now.

Reaction score
Second star on the right and on 'til morning.
Website
atsiko.wordpress.com

It happens, yes.

As far as college kids not using it, I don't know about that. I'm sure there use snapchat(eww), Twitter, and other more niche services a lot also, but I imagine most of them are still on Facebook. Speaking of college, many people in sorrities change their names during rush weeks, for specific purposes. Lots of college-age or around there people change their profile names during job searches, too.

If there was a social net-work where I could interact with the majority of people I want to interact with, I would be off Facebook in a second. But they've used some pretty clever techniques to tie people to their Facebook accounts, so it's unlikely that will happen in my life-time.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I had a friend who Facebooked as her cat, and they eventually suspended her account. Evidently some self-appointed FB "citizen" police were trolling for pet accounts and reporting them repeatedly. A bunch of posting-as-my-pet accounts got suspended about a year or so ago.

To be fair, the pet accounts *are* forbidden in the TOS. On the other hand, they were fun and interesting and I miss some of them. Oh well.

ETA: To clarify, FB themselves did not seem to be hunting the pet accounts; it was private users who appeared to have a vendetta against them.

Last edited:

LeslieB

Geek Unique
Registered
Reaction score
I know quite a few people with two FB accounts to have one for employers/professional contacts and another for friends and family. A friend of mine said, "I really don't want people in my profession to see how many times I click on a Farmville link for my mom."

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I had a friend who Facebooked as her cat, and they eventually suspended her account. Evidently some self-appointed FB "citizen" police were trolling for pet accounts and reporting them repeatedly. A bunch of posting-as-my-pet accounts got suspended about a year or so ago.

To be fair, the pet accounts *are* forbidden in the TOS. On the other hand, they were fun and interesting and I miss some of them. Oh well.

A friend of mine's daughter set up a Facebook account for her dog, and it's still live -- check out Alfie Austin. She posts under that account, and does not have her own.

And as I said before, I know I never had to provide ID, because I couldn't. I'm in with my pen name, and have another account for my books.

Maybe in the UK it's different.

I have not registered in my real name for ANY social media sites. Only a select few on AW know my real name, and I want it so stay that way. There's a public and a private me, and I keep them apart.

Last edited:

The Emissary

Registered
Reaction score
This is exactly why I enter nothing but false information on my facebook. Exactly why. Only my true friends on there know my secret identity.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Article about a start-up alternative to FB called "Ello." http://www.newyorker.com/business/currency/ellos-anti-facebook-moment?utm_source=tny&utm_campaign=generalsocial&utm_medium=facebook&mbid=social_facebook

"Ello promised to be different. It would make money by selling access to special features—like changing the background color of your profile—for a fee of a dollar or two."

But there were problems getting it to work ... and problems with privacy (!) ...

"As it turns out, one of the biggest concerns people have voiced about Ello is that it lacks robust privacy features—or, really, any privacy features at all."

So, for now:

"Shafiq, Lil Miss Hot Mess, and other Ello users told me that they hope the site improves with time; every one of them said that, in the meantime, they’re still using Facebook. It works better for the time being—and, besides, it’s where all their friends are."

I wonder if FB has become so big, so pervasive that it will be impossible to replace.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I am in ello but I find it user unfriendly. I cannot for the life of me figure out how it works. I "followed" two people and want to follow a third but dunno how to do it. I can't really be bothered to wrap my mind a new system -- I find Twitter hard enough. I think I am just too old for this sort of thing. At the moment, nothing to see. For the record, I am https://ello.co/aruna.

Status
Not open for further replies.