• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Literary Aspirations / Literary Lifestyle (Belinda Williams)

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
gorokandwulf.blogspot.com
Someone was asking about this agent on a blog because an author made a big point to mention that she was represented by the agent. People were curious about the agency. However, I can't find it in this index, and it wasn't listed on P&E. The URL is:
http://www.literaryaspirations.com/

The About page doesn't tell me much about them at all. I can't tell who the agents are and what their experience is, not to mention the names of their clients. They don't even list a physical address, just e-mail and phone number.

Some of the bloggers were suspicious. I sure would like to know more about the agency. Anyone have more information?

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
In one of the threads on that blog an Anon posted the links below. Literary Lifestyle is apparently the main name of the agency and it's not an agency I'd feel comfortable approaching. I believe December Quinn pointed out there are NO Clients listed NO sales listed. There is a "Links" section and the authors there all seem to be self pubbed.

I'm casually acquainted with the author in question and when I read the report of the woman in the second link I flat out asked if this was her agent and told her to be careful.

She feels the woman is credible and says the lack of listing clients/sales is to "protect privacy". It's possible but as I said at first glance I wouldn't approach them for representation.

http://www.literarylifestyle.com/main.html

http://www.blacknews.com/pr/lindawattley101.html

Last edited:

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
Here's what I've uncovered by cross-referencing their website with Google searches. One of their clients is/was Gregory Townes, who published a book with Black Print Publishing. Here is a post from a former employee of BPP about their problems with the publisher.

Another of their writers is listed as published by booklocker.com.

Just looking at their services would put me off even if the other stuff didn't already set my spidey senses to tingling. They seem to offer everything and the kitchen sink.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
In one of the threads on that blog an Anon posted the links below. Literary Lifestyle is apparently the main name of the agency and it's not an agency I'd feel comfortable approaching. I believe December Quinn pointed out there are NO Clients listed NO sales listed. There is a "Links" section and the authors there all seem to be self pubbed.
Thanks. That'll learn me to read all the blog comments first. :D Doesn't look like a good agent to trust ones work to. :rolleyes:

I'm casually acquainted with the author in question and when I read the report of the woman in the second link I flat out asked if this was her agent and told her to be careful.

She feels the woman is credible and says the lack of listing clients/sales is to "protect privacy". It's possible but as I said at first glance I wouldn't approach them for representation.
Ack. She's been brainwashed. :eek: That's what many a scam agent has uses as an excuse. The only privacy those agents are protecting is their own.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
P&E will be listing the agency soon. We've been reviewing documentation on this for over a week now.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
They should visit Writer Beware. Any legitimate agency will be willing to share at least a handful of client names and sales even if they're not willing to share contact details for those clients. Privacy is the typical scam agent's excuse and now that a variety of their clients appear to be self-published, I'm confident this is a scam. Please help them get out.

AnneMarble

Nefarious Ghost Fan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Somebody pointed out that this agency is also associated with the following site:
http://www.literarylifestyle.com/main.html

Besides offering the literary agency service (which opens up in the Literay Aspirations URL), they offer services ranging from publicity and promotions, event planning, to web site design. Uhm, isn't there a possibility of a conflict of interest if an agency offers all those services? Anyway, if their own web site is any indication, I'd rather not purchase their web site design services.

Even worse, I clicked a link and learned from this that they offer literary services such as editing, copyediting, proofreading, manuscript evaluations, critiques, reviews (?!), and even ghostwriting. Oh, and legal briefs! Talk about potential conflicts of interest...

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
I'm not here to weigh in on this agent because I know nothing about her. I just want to mention that nearly all the agents I've worked with list their sales. It makes for great advertising and enhances their reputation. If someone doesn't list their sales, they're basically telling people they don't have anything to brag about. If there's nothing to brag about, then what's the attraction?

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
It's not really a red flag for an agency to be associated with a company that runs a variety of services, or even to offer some services themselves. Its a red flag when they recommend clients or potential clients to those services. I can think of at least one fabulous agent that is also a 'book doctor' -- but he won't agent people he works with as an editor.

The real puzzler is being associated with a company that does website design and yet having such a horrible website. Now, that's a real headshaker.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Both sites are gone. She also ran J'Adore Publishing, Inc., which put out a few books in '07, but is also gone now.