Not open for further replies.

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
Hello all,

Well, after being off line for what feels like forever due to a house move and appalling broadband service, I am back onto the interwebs.

Looks like it's been pretty busy since I last logged on - congrats to Rosie and all the others who have had amazing news. I wish I could say the same.

I have been on sub since September and have heard back from 8 out of 12 publishers. They have all said no, but were mostly complementary - seems like they all liked my writing, the setting, the premise, blah blah blah, but something just didn't click. I have four left to hear from, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm thinking that if they wanted it, we would have heard back by now? My agent is lovely and has been great throughout, but it doesn't make it any easier.

Does anyone have any stories of books being signed at this late a stage? Any small tendrils of hope I can cling to?

Carla.

Repped you also! But basically--I don't think amount of time on sub reflects whether your book will sell or not. I know plenty of writers who sold after many months.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,

Does anyone have any stories of books being signed at this late a stage? Any small tendrils of hope I can cling to?

Carla.

I believe OtherLisa's book sold after a year on sub. (I'm clinging to those tendrils too)

I met with my editor and agent in Toronto for the first time and while I was there, Penguin released its Press Release. So cool -- copy on my blog! For the first time, it actually feels real.

Awesome press release, Peggy. Your book sounds so intriguing, just the kind of mix of mystery and politics that I like to read. So, when are you going to change the name of your blog? referring to that, ahem, "aspiring"

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
I've changed it to 'debut' author on the blog, thanks, Cloud Eight! (I guess I need to change my signature line here as well....)

Thanks everyone!

Kristoff

Registered
Reaction score

So I woke up this morning to an e-mail from my agent informing me about my first offer from a major US publisher. The book has been on sub for less than a month.

Say it with me:

Holy shiiiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Kristoff --- hell's afire! Good news, congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Kristoff!!! Fantastic. Your book sounds awesome -- I'm not surprised.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Big congratulations and big WOO HOOs to Peggy and Kristoff.

Sending luck and strength to you, Carla! Are you getting your next book ready, just in case? That's always been my motto -- "if not this book, then the next".

At least, as writers, we can always write ourselves new chances.

Hang in there! In my opinion, it still seems too early for you to be worrying about the end of the road for your novel.

Here's hoping that soon, you, too, will receive good news.

Em

cspradbery

Best before 1998
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations Kristoff, that's awesome news!

Horseback, I am about two thirds of the way through my next book. My agent has read the first few chapters and seems to like it so far, which is encouraging. I just keep thinking how heartbroken I'll be if my first book doesn't make it. There are only four more publishers left to hear from so the odds seem stacked against me.

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Kristoff---YAYYYYY!!!! Seconding Kellion, your story sounds fantastic. Now you've got to tough it out and see what else comes in :D! (And I bet something will)

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Horseback, I am about two thirds of the way through my next book. My agent has read the first few chapters and seems to like it so far, which is encouraging. I just keep thinking how heartbroken I'll be if my first book doesn't make it. There are only four more publishers left to hear from so the odds seem stacked against me.

I know your probably don't want to hear from me right now, but I don't think the odds are stacked against you, cspradbery. Each sub offers an opportunity for someone to love it. It might be the first who reads it. It might be the last. It might not be any of these people, and something else comes along.

This isn't my first time repped or on sub. The first time didn't end so well. It was a tough time, but you pick yourself up and you carry on. Never give up! Never surrender!

Hedgetrimmer

What happened, just there?
Registered
Reaction score

If it's causing you mental anguish, simply ask your agent what's the plan if none of the four make an offer. S/he may have other houses in mind.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
This is a completely random thought, but what's up with the picture at the top of this page of a demon whacking a child by the Christmas tree???

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding Hedge, cspradbery. Your agent may be thinking of another round, with or without a revision first. Or s/he may already be thinking about how to sub your current WIP. Or s/he may be very hopeful about the four houses that have it. Four houses is a lot, actually.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
It's the Krampus. Hie thee over to Office Party. there's a sticky explaining him.

Basically, he's a demon who accompanies St. Nicholas. The good kids get gifts from St. Nick. The bad kids get whacked with the Krampus' birch switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.