The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket - oh, I WISH! The summons said no cell phones were allowed in the courthouse...so I'm thinkin' that's a NO. But I've debated "forgetting" it in my purse, and seeing if they tell me I have to put it in my car. I just would really not want them to confiscate it, so I'm on the fence.

Houndrat, I wish I was like you! I just wish I could forget, really...not be optimistic OR pessimistic...just forget it was even happening. But...yeah. Not likely! ;-)

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Hey tracy and C.T. I usually use that time to write, but nothing was working last night. So it was just wasted being awake. :) I think I dream of a full night's sleep like some people dream of sand between their toes and umbrella'ed drinks. Bliss...

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
What's going around down here? Seems to be contagious. More alcohol! That'll kill whatever it is. And I know I could use a shot of something significant right now. Whiskey, tequila, somethin'.

Off topic: Anyone in the Southeast going to the St Simon's writers' conference this weekend?

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
TTW:

I wouldn't take the cellphone to court; the concern is that there may be a ban on publication, and that a person with a cellphone might release info to the public that ought not to be out there.

They could confiscate it. I'd leave it at home. (Criminal defence lawyer of 30 years here...)

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Peggy - I did, don't worry. And actually, the separation was not as painful as I expected! (AND there was no news anyway) ;-) I ended up spending most of the day at the courthouse but not being selected for a trial. It was actually really neat to go through the process, though I admit, I'm not sad I wasn't selected...got lots of writing to do this week!

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it is an interesting process. I ran quite a few jury trials back when I was still in active practice as a litigator and it was always fun trying to pick jurors. I'm not sure where you are exactly, but in Canada, in the 1980s, all you had to go by was their name and address.

I actually picked a juror who lived next door to the new house I had just (like, a week earlier) purchased from the Crown prosecutor involved in the case ie. his old neighbour was my new one. My new neighbour (who I too came to love) was quite disappointed when we had to recuse the jury and start over because of a conflict of interest.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
Got my first rejection today on the new project. Strangely, it didn't upset me at all. I was just like FINALLY, some news. I was kinda of just dying for some editor feedback good bad or indiffernt so it was nice to read some good things and know the project isn't just terrible, even if it wasn't for her.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
I actually picked a juror who lived next door to the new house I had just (like, a week earlier) purchased from the Crown prosecutor involved in the case ie. his old neighbour was my new one. My new neighbour (who I too came to love) was quite disappointed when we had to recuse the jury and start over because of a conflict of interest.

Oooh, sounds like the basis of a nifty mystery.

ETA: sorry to hear about the Rs, Jenn and CT

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
{{{Jenn}}} glad you heard something though. seems to be REALLY slow right now!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
((Jenn))

Sorry for the R but yay for news? Sometimes just hearing something is a relief.

So I got an R on the ms but it was for the old version so I don't really mind too much. Agent just sent the revised to two eds and might be sending to a third so I'm both excited and nervous. I was more confident on Friday when I finished up revising, but now that it's out there again I just feel super nervous....I mean you just don't know. The R I got today just proves how totally subjective the biz is so it's like...you just never now man.

Plus it might take them years to get back to me :( Oh well. I'm kind of interested in hearing what they say about the revised...what kind of feedback I get....*throws up*

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
*throws up in sympathy with Roly*

tracythewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Agent said she is going to read the first 5 chapters of my new WIP tomorrow...EEP!!!! I really, really hope she likes it!

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Big hugs to Jenn and Roly.

Fingers crossed for the reading, Tracey. Agent will love it!

Insomnia yesterday, how about dreams where you're walking down the street, and email after email start coming through your phone, all from Mr. A., and all listing the reasons for multiple rejections on book. For example:
'Surprised how strongly editors are opposed to this book', 'Rejected due to overuse of... (insert page long list of high frequency words, such as 'The' 'There' 'a' 'is'....)'. :Shrug:

Woke with a very warm and toasty feeling this morning. :sarcasm

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, Tracy and Roly! Hugs to Jenn. A rejection is better than the void, where you start wondering if editors chose your manuscript to adopt agents' "no response means no" policy. A rejection feels real and respectful.

MadDabbler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Ditto the hugs and sympathy vomiting.

I know how hard the waiting is. I've got two editors looking at my ms right now and both are big for me. I don't want an R (really, really don't) but I want to hear something because it seems like the waiting is aging me.

Is it normal for editors to provide feedback at this stage? I'm so new to this, I have no idea what to expect.

Status
Not open for further replies.