The Next Circle of Hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
I don't send anything. My agent sends a "my office is closed" e-mail.

I feel like it is kind of unprofessional to send agents presents, but that's totally just me. I will send something if we ever manage to sell a novel.

Dawn Schaefer

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Huh. Dh always gets holiday presents from his boss/co-workers/etc. So we always give. Never though of it as unprofessional - but maybe it's a law firm thing?

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a gift to each of my agents this year. And my new editor. I like to give my friends and colleagues small gifts (the ones I work closely with). I think, given the success my agents had this year, it was the least I could do to show them how much I appreciated it. Nothing big -- just thoughtful. (I'd tell you what but then they might find out what's under the tree!)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
We do a small gift exchange at the office. Emphasis on small, and it's only between the people you actually work with. However, I love cooking, and I'm on friendly terms with my agent and editor, so I'll send them each a small batch of Killer Brownies (just like I sent them when they sold/bought my book).

houndrat

Pulsating Whatnots Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houndrat.com
I don't think it's unprofessional at all. I do think it depends on each individual person and what feels comfortable to them. Jamie, if you feel like you want to send a gift, I say go for it.

Now, sending a gift/yummy with your query letter PRIOR to getting an agent is another story. ;)

JamieB

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.jamieblair.blogspot.com
Now, sending a gift/yummy with your query letter PRIOR to getting an agent is another story. ;)

I wasn't supposed to do that? LOL. Just kidding.

I sent her a couple baby outfits after she sent us an email telling us she'd be out on maternity leave. Guess I already crossed that bridge if it was unprofessional. And maybe if I send cupcakes it'll make up for all my neurotic emails about submission.

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
Hmmm, I sent NB gift(s) to celebrate things. Last year I sent a bunch of silly China souvenirs to the S0h0 gang.

I'll probably send cards to any and all this year.

Cloud Eight

Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, yeah, it's the comfort question.

Actually, what Jenn said...
>> i wanted to make sure i was heading in the right direction before i killed myself writing it, so she read the first 30-40 pages or so and gave me a thumbs up to keep going.<<
...is what I'm feeling.

Kellion, have you set it aside for awhile and come back for a cold reading? If so, and you think it works, I'd think it's ready to send. But I sure sympathize with the agony of revising the hell out of something so the agent will see it at its best.

Speaking of which.....
Mad, THAT's the kind of agent response I'd welcome.
icon11.gif

On the gifts issue: no gifts for us. Happy holiday emails.

Peggy Blair

I like my snow hot.
Registered
Reaction score
On the point of gifts, I was a lawyer for 30 years. I've kept throughout the decades two little gifts I got from clients as a new lawyer because they were so unexpected and really meant a lot.
One was a pottery card holder that the client made for me, and the other was a little scales of justice.
I think if you want to get something for your agent they will really appreciate it. And if you don't, they won't even notice.

Last edited:

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Thanks Cloud Eight. I'm waiting for her to finish the ms because there's one part I've always fretted over, though all my betas said "Leave it." We'll see what she says. I'm a little... oh, who am I kidding? :) I'm a mess waiting to hear.

On the gifts, I bought her a small something and will send it out this week. It's the first holiday season as a "literary couple" so I thought a little something would be appropriate. (She mentioned in a conversation she was a big fan of a certain film so I got her a memento.)

rosiecotton

Lover of Tea
Registered
Reaction score
Great feedback, Mad! How nice is it to hear something like that!

Kellion--I'd say go for it and let your agent read! (Though I totally understand the last minute jitters!) My hands were sweating when I recently sent Mr. A. my ideas for the series. I even made him promise not to laugh! He didn't. He loved the ideas. So I vote deep breath and hit send!

Interesting discussion about gifts--I'd never given it any thought! Mr. A's so cool and calm, definitely ice to my fire (which is a very, very good thing). It gave me a chuckle thinking about a basket of cupcakes landing on his desk all wrapped up with a big holiday bow! If we sell the book, though... ;)

MadDabbler

Clearly confused and adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisetompkins.net
Thanks everyone for your good will. She just finished and sent me a quick note that says to "finish the sequel, [she] needs to know what happens next." Wahoo! So I've got to shake off the turkey coma and the insecurities writing brings and get back to work! I'm 2/3 done (61k words) and at a stumper of a plot point, but I have a feeling this may be the motivation I need to move past the block.

Thanks again everyone!

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
ooh - i totally missed the news, Mad - congrats!:)

as for gifts - i think it's just what you're comfortable with, but i've always done gifts with coworkers, etc. i usually give baked goods, bottle on wine, etc. and I get gifts from almost everyone in my office, but we have a small-ish and def not professional type office, ha. I'm not sure on the agent gift - I'll do something small - either have cupcakes sent or some other small token.

*puts on thinking cap*

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I'm just popping in to say Hi. I can't do a thing until my artists finish what they're doing, which won't happen until near Christmas. Collaboration -- sigh.

Good luck and healthy nails to all you waitie-woos! I hope to share your plight in January.

HorsebackWriter

Dream at a gallop!
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, mad, and big congrats to all who've had good news the last few weeks, and strength and courage to all who are waiting.

As for gifts -- I've found donations made in a person's name are a wonderful way to go -- how could anyone feel weird about a donation in their name made to St. Jude's Children's Hospital or an animal shelter, a horse rescue, or a myriad of other good causes?

It does everyone good. : )

Em

Suzan

Living the Dream...
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, Mad, on a job well done!

Posting my most recent Blog link for any one who wants to read. Not really relevant to writing, but since today is World AIDS Day... Be healthy and well, everyone! December, here we come!!

Oh...and I got some good news from my agent this morning. My novel got a bite. We're getting our first read!!!

Last edited:

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Congrats Mad! That's awesome!!! :snoopy:

As for gifts, my agent is Jewish, and last year I kinda sent a Happy Holidays email bc I wasn't for certain yet she was Jewish, lol, since we hadn't been a literary couple but for six weeks then. I may send her a Hanukkah card this year.

But I think it's a perfectly acceptable thing and one that you should do on your comfort level with your agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.