The Great Absolute Write Spec Fiction Anthology!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwm

Gator Bait
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats to all those who made it!

To those like me who didn't -- I'm looking forward to seeing your stories elsewhere. It's an honor being in the company of such talented folks.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
When I get back to where there's Internet on more than my phone I'll be bugging people to show me where else to send it.

Sorry about the R. ):

If you haven't already found it, a lot of us like Duotrope, and there are some good market threads in both Short Fiction and the W1S1 forums.

HTH!

jazzman99

Recovering Academic
Registered
Reaction score
Really looking forward to seeing the TOC now--we still don't know how many stories there will be, do we? I wonder how close to the 90K word goal they came...wouldn't be surprised if they went over.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I do hope Mac posts the table of contents for us all to see now that the stories have been picked :D

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, am I remembering the title of the anthology correctly as Absolute Fiction?

Was there a subtitle on it TBD?

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Already resubmitted elsewhere. This was only the second rejection for that story. I guess it's time to see how many I can rack up. ;)

Got you beat, there. Mine had already been rejected four times before this. Not sure, but the format might have had something to do with it. I fixed it, but I think I'll let this one RIP. :roll:

ETA: I'll keep coming in here to see it the TOC is put up. I'm interested in seeing it. And again, congrats to those who made it, and :Hug2: to all. I know the others will find good homes. :)

Last edited:

Jessianodel

Blessed by the AW Gods
Registered
Reaction score
Aaaannd....I'm out too. My first rejection - I guess I'm an official writer now, huh? It would've been nice but I know why it was rejected - it didn't fit the theme very well. But I'm still proud. My very first flash fiction made it this far...now I just have to find a new home for it. :)

Congrats to everyone who got in! And hugs for my fellow rejectees

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
If you got to the second round, chances are it was mainly because there wasn't enough room so they picked stories that fit the theme... It also means your story is totally able to be submitted elsewhere...

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, am I remembering the title of the anthology correctly as Absolute Fiction?

Was there a subtitle on it TBD?
I believe Mac was leaning towards both of these things, with the subtitle defining it as SFF so other anthologies, if any, could have their own.

I still like Absolute Wonder (and any other anthologies being Absolute ______) myself

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Aaaannd....I'm out too. My first rejection - I guess I'm an official writer now, huh?
Absolutely. One thing I've learned is that when you submit a story, it may or may not get published, but when you don't submit it -- pretty much definitely not getting published. You gotta play to win.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I sent the scariest submission I ever did send yesterday*. I dithered for a week over it and finally threw caution to the wind and sent it... if it hadn't been for my loyal and faithful cheerleading beta reader I would never have even written that story never mind send it :)

*I am not explaining in public why it was scary but may be pressed in private to explain all if appropriate bribes are offered... :)

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into SF&F magazine. I have a really cool scifi mystery about cyborg-ish-things to send them. But I have to shorten it.

It was a novel that never got past 64k - and I can't send them all that. I will have to try and squish it all below 25k... we shall see :D

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score

Congrats!!!
mini-graphics-smileys-169435.gif

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder how much it would cost to send a print copy of the anthology to all the accepted authors so they could sign it? :D

The logistics are mind-boggling!
Depends on how many of us there are.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into SF&F magazine. I have a really cool scifi mystery about cyborg-ish-things to send them. But I have to shorten it.

There was a time that The Magazine of F&SF was one of the primo places to get published. It probably still is. That was where I was going to send my story next, honestly. It's one of those "pie in the sky" writer's fantasies that's bounced my brain now and again. ;)

Good luck!

I wonder how much it would cost to send a print copy of the anthology to all the accepted authors so they could sign it? :D

The logistics are mind-boggling!

You'd do better to mail around a book plate for everyone to sign. With the cost of mailing, sending the book itself even to one author and back is pretty frightening.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
There was a time that The Magazine of F&SF was one of the primo places to get published. It probably still is. That was where I was going to send my story next, honestly. It's one of those "pie in the sky" writer's fantasies that's bounced my brain now and again. ;)
It's good to start big

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

You could potentially catch a bunch at once at either Worldcon or WFC.

And I may be in Australia in 2014...

Status
Not open for further replies.