• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

CookeMcDermid Lit. Mgmt. (formerly The Cooke Agency) / Cooke International

LlordLlama

Registered
Reaction score
Cooke Agency

I submitted a query the Cooke Agency perhaps a month ago, despite seeing the "not accepting queries/submissions" sign posted on their site.

Three days ago, I got an email from E. Griffin asking to see the entire MS. I was stoked. Recently, I had gotten Writers House in NYC to request the full MS, but after some time, they decided to pass! Gah!

So I am hoping the Canadians are kinder than the New Yorkers.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Llord Llama - they must have been keen on your query to have requested the full straight away. Seems like a good sign!

Let us know how it works out :)

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
been waiting for 13 days now. not that i'm counting, oh no lol

Elizabeth *did* say in her email: It usually takes us about 6-8 weeks to respond to a submission as we like to have it read by a few people here at the office.

I really hope it's more like 6 weeks, it's only been 2 weeks and I'm checking my inbox too often to not be considered neurotic!!

Anyone else out there waiting on responses to partials/fulls/queries??

AngelaA

Are we there yet?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angelaaddams.com
I queried them last year with a different project and they requested the full right away...it took one month to hear back from them with a rejection. I'm not sure if it will be faster for a partial. I'm thinking another few weeks before I hear anything.

Sarah Christine

I think you can do better.
Registered
Reaction score
Where did the floor go? (This is not an existentia
ChrryBlssmGrrl, I think it was about two weeks before I received a rejection, and that was just recently! So, I can't imagine it should be too much longer. As advertised, however, they don't personalize their rejections even on partials. Just a form letter. Sad to me :(

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
ChrryBlssmGrrl, I think it was about two weeks before I received a rejection, and that was just recently! So, I can't imagine it should be too much longer. As advertised, however, they don't personalize their rejections even on partials. Just a form letter. Sad to me :(

Sorry to hear that Sarah Christine :(

I've had 6 partial requests in total and so far 2 have ended in form Rs - one took MONTHS and all I got was a one line 'I'm afraid I didn't think it quite commercial enough for a very tough market', the other took a few weeks and again it was the very generic: '
Although I have considered this carefully I'm afraid it just doesn't quite grab my imagination in the way that it must for me to offer to represent it. So I shall have to follow my gut instinct and pass on this occasion. I'm sorry to be so disappointing, but thanks for thinking of us'

It's tough out there!! But we can stick together at absolute write and try and give each other the encouragement to keep trying :) I've still got 4 partials out there, fingers crossed the good people at Cooke like what I sent them!

Sarah Christine

Registered
Reaction score
At least you got a few specifics? Sort of? In a way? The 'commercial' response especially, because some agencies only want stuff that's really commercially marketable, and some agencies are more lenient. It helps narrow your search? Maybe? A little?

The form rejection for the Cooke Agency reads exactly like a form query rejection. It's very tough! Because then you're left wondering, "But...but, but why....*sob*"

Six partial requests in 34 queries is pretty impressive, though!

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
At least you got a few specifics? Sort of? In a way? The 'commercial' response especially, because some agencies only want stuff that's really commercially marketable, and some agencies are more lenient. It helps narrow your search? Maybe? A little?

The form rejection for the Cooke Agency reads exactly like a form query rejection. It's very tough! Because then you're left wondering, "But...but, but why....*sob*"

Six partial requests in 34 queries is pretty impressive, though!

Thanks for the heads up, at least I won't feel too bad if I get a form R to my partial from Cooke - it mustn't be personal!! I'm trying to work on my opening at the minute because I really really want a agent who requests my partial to like it enough to move it up to a full - getting lots of good feedback from the resident gurus over on the Share Your Work boards ;)

Sarah Christine

Registered
Reaction score
Oh thank you! I like to have some sort of silly way to chain the titles in my series together.

Omigosh I have no samples up, I'm much too scared to post up my stuff (which is ironic since I'm trying to get published!) for public axing. I used to do it a lot in high school, but I guess I dropped my backbone somewhere along the way. LOL.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Omigosh I have no samples up, I'm much too scared to post up my stuff (which is ironic since I'm trying to get published!) for public axing. I used to do it a lot in high school, but I guess I dropped my backbone somewhere along the way. LOL.

lol - well let me know if you change your mind!!

Just saw this news release on Cooke website when I was nosying about yesterday (tho it has prob been there for a couple of weeks): http://www.cookeagency.ca/TheCookeAgency-PR.htm

I guess this goes some way towards explaining why they're closed to submissions atm and why it's taking a while to get back to people - my guess is they are pretty busy with all of this!!

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting on a requested partial with them.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
If I counted right I think there's about 6 of us posting on this thread who currently have requested partials/fulls with the Cooke Agency at the minute - so it looks like they're experiencing a tidal wave of AW brilliance at the minute!!

Anyone heard anything back yet? @ KeatsLove - you had a request from them in June, did you get a response yet?

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
They've had a partial of mine since July 8th after I'd queried on June 1st.

So I guess that's just a bit more than the 8 weeks Cooke Agency think it will take for them to review a partial. But you would be expecting to hear any day now then right? That's exciting! Good luck, let us know what happens :)

Saskatoonistan

Still the wrong side of Saskatoon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
So I guess that's just a bit more than the 8 weeks Cooke Agency think it will take for them to review a partial. But you would be expecting to hear any day now then right? That's exciting! Good luck, let us know what happens :)

I'm not going to hold my breath - there's a bit of a disorganized vibe to everything I've been reading about them.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not going to hold my breath - there's a bit of a disorganized vibe to everything I've been reading about them.

Hmm - that's disappointing but they do rep some mayjah writers, like Sarah Waters for example, so I guess (or hope!) that they must do a good job for their clients. And hopefully we will be able to count ourselves among their number someday soon!

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
Gah - I'm still waiting lol. How's everyone else doing? Still hanging in there? ANyone got a response yet??

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
I sent them sample chapters on July 8th and have heard nothing since then. I think I might send them a nudge but I'm afraid I won't get a response to the nudge for months. My experience is that when it's this long, you wind up with a generic PFO letter.

Last edited:

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I sent them sample chapters on July 8th and have heard nothing since then. I think I might send them a nudge but I'm afraid I won't get a response to the nudge for months. My experience is that when it's this long, you wind up with a generic PFO letter.

that blows!! i know 6-8 weeks is kind of an ambitious time frame for any busy agency to respond to all partials within but you've been waiting over 3 months now, and i'm behind you in the queue :-/

hope my other partials out there fare a bit better!!

Saskatoonistan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sean-cummings.ca
The Cooke Agency had the full of my upcoming novel Shade Fright from Nov 2/08 until it was rejected on Feb 24/09 - I imagine they must be very busy given the lag in responding to everyone.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I should be careful what I wish for lol

Heard back from Cooke today - form R on partial I sent them in August. I sent them the revised version a couple of days ago so maybe I nudged them into rejection, I'm not sure, but I suppose it's better to know. boo hoo.