Crit a book trailer?

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
Yep. You'll have to post it publicly if you want us to see it. The other option is to post it on vimeo and include a password protection that you share with us. But the more difficult you make it for us to see the video, the less likely you'll get critiques. Trust me, I learned that the hard way.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I thought it was reasonably well done.

I didn't understand the titling. It says Part I at the beginning.

I thought you could have used a little stronger and more descriptive wording, but it's okay. I liked the line "She shouldn't have kissed him."

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com
I thought it was pretty darn good. I did not personally like the second image that you used. The style didn't match your paintings, and it made the text difficult to read. I also felt that the video cut off too abruptly at the end.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lblankenship.blogspot.com
I thought it was pretty darn good. I did not personally like the second image that you used. The style didn't match your paintings, and it made the text difficult to read. I also felt that the video cut off too abruptly at the end.

I was worried that combat picture would make the text hard to read... I'll see what I can do. And fix the fade-out on the music, fade the logo out...

True, that picture doesn't fit the style, but it's public domain. And it doesn't openly clash with the fantasy theme, I hope.

Gale Haut

waxing digital artistic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.galehaut.com

Six Alaric

The terror, the terror
Registered
Reaction score
Nice work. The music is subtle and effective. The art is impressive - although I have to agree about the battle piece not quite fitting with the other images.

The movement on the landscape image lags a bit, which is slightly distracting. Slowing it down might help; the other pictures moved at a lower speed and they all worked smoothly.

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Good work, just a few things:
Who wrote it again?
What does the packaged book look like? (i.e. what am I buying here?)
Where could I find it if I wanted it?
Also watch the margins on the text. It is well broken up, so easy to read.

Have to second on Gale's thoughts about the second painting.

Tigerlilly79

Maybe I should see someone . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Nice, but you do need to add important info like the author's name and where the book can be purchased.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This trailer will be going up in my Kickstarter campaign, actually. But yes, I'll add the book info if I use it elsewhere.

Thanks for the crits, everybody! I tracked down a battle painting from a later era that may work...

Rachel Udin

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.racheludin.com
Much better! Well done.

The second painting looks like it's about the crusades... since there are people in Middle Eastern garb (I say that because it was meant to be generic at the time it was painted). I'm not quite sure if that's the correct painting... though I'm not sure that many people will notice.

LBlankenship

VPXV 4EVA
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The second painting looks like it's about the crusades... since there are people in Middle Eastern garb (I say that because it was meant to be generic at the time it was painted). I'm not quite sure if that's the correct painting... though I'm not sure that many people will notice.

True, but finding a post-Renaissance, public-domain painting of knights without plate armor is... tricky. I put a lot of work into maintaining a 13th-century vibe in my fantasy world, and that was before plate armor.

I'll just have to commission some more paintings over at DeviantArt when I have the money. :D

Thanks for the second look, Gale and Rachel!