Where to start with a new author

weekendwarrior

Registered
Reaction score
This may be a problem that I only have but I often run into an author who I read one book by and then I get paralysed by the choice of which book to read by them next. For example, read The City and the City by China Mieville and now can't figure out which one of his to read next. It's happened often that I choose poorly and then I don't return to them as a result.

Anybody else have this issue? Anywhere you go to figure this out (asides from trawling through reviews)?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I'd suggest looking for books you'd be interested in even if you didn't know the author, books whose concepts intrigue you or which look similar to the one you enjoyed.

Otherwise, ask around.

(As for CM, I'm not the one to ask; I've only read one by him - Un Lun Dun - and while I enjoyed the imaginative ideas and the tweaks of the old "chosen one" trope, I didn't care for the style overall, and the other books I've seen by him look a bit too surreal for my tastes.)

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I look up the author on Amazon and check if they have any books on special offer. Or I'll go to my local bookshop and ask if they have any books by the author in stock.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I don't struggle with books . If I can't enjoy it straightaway , it's binned .The problem is , when you find a good book , you just want to repeat it . It is even more disappointing , if the second book by the same author, as the first,is not as Good . I liked Keith Roberts Pavane . I'v actuly reread it several time . So far I have read three other of his books . I so want them to be another Pavane , but they are not . It was the same after I read A Clock Orange and the Name Of The Rose . It's just the way it is.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I look up the author on Amazon and check if they have any books on special offer. Or I'll go to my local bookshop and ask if they have any books by the author in stock.

Ooh, nice suggestion on the discounts. Lowers the investment.

I was going to suggest picking one that has a higher sales ranking and more reviews. That's not proof of quality, of course, but it indicates that a lot of people are buying it and hopefully enjoying it. I also read the reviews, and pay attention to the 2 to 4 stars, as the 1s and 5s tend to be overreactions.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Ooh, nice suggestion on the discounts. Lowers the investment.

I was going to suggest picking one that has a higher sales ranking and more reviews. That's not proof of quality, of course, but it indicates that a lot of people are buying it and hopefully enjoying it. I also read the reviews, and pay attention to the 2 to 4 stars, as the 1s and 5s tend to be overreactions.

Yes, it's definitely worth looking at different reviews, low and high, especially if multiple reviews pick out the same issues. I've stopped myself from buying some highly rated books because enough low ratings talked about issues that would've ruined the thing for me.