AlGore, please comment

princessvessna

Garden Geek Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Website
treesandshrubs.about.com
Climate change has to be addressed with political fervor. Otherwise, greedy polluters are going to destroy the air we breath and the water we depend on. There are over six billion people on the planet and we're still breeding like rats. Every single person dumps a certain amount of garbage. How hard is it to understand that humans are having an impact? I mean, how hard is it to observe thick smog over the cities and all those gigantic pipes spewing out crap and not see that there's a problem?? How difficult is it to realize that melting ice into the Atlantic is going to raise the water table? How hard is it to understand that if you cut down huge swaths of trees in the Amazon, that photosynthesis is that much more diminished? How hard is that to understand? This is sixth grade stuff.

Now whether somebody "believes" in human caused climate change or not is almost immaterial. We have to stop doing what we're doing, which is recklessly altering the environment, and that's what we are doing. And it takes a determined political movement to force us as a species to be good stewards of the environment, because there's a lot of greedy people out there that don't give a crap about anything other than their bank accounts, including whether the next generation gets to breath.

Nature isnt static though. There are now bacteria that digest oil, for example. All sorts of fascinating things going on in science. We can't say just how much impact we have, though, and that's the difference. Volcanos are one natural phenomena that also wreaks a lot of havoc.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Climate change has to be addressed with political fervor. Otherwise, greedy polluters are going to destroy the air we breath and the water we depend on. There are over six billion people on the planet and we're still breeding like rats. Every single person dumps a certain amount of garbage. How hard is it to understand that humans are having an impact? I mean, how hard is it to observe thick smog over the cities and all those gigantic pipes spewing out crap and not see that there's a problem?? How difficult is it to realize that melting ice into the Atlantic is going to raise the water table? How hard is it to understand that if you cut down huge swaths of trees in the Amazon, that photosynthesis is that much more diminished? How hard is that to understand? This is sixth grade stuff.

Now whether somebody "believes" in human caused climate change or not is almost immaterial. We have to stop doing what we're doing, which is recklessly altering the environment, and that's what we are doing. And it takes a determined political movement to force us as a species to be good stewards of the environment, because there's a lot of greedy people out there that don't give a crap about anything other than their bank accounts, including whether the next generation gets to breath.
And this is another post that demonstrates why these threads deteriorate and get locked.
You've blended so many assumptions and incorrecct statements into one post. You've also implicitly accused people of basically being "greedy polluters" and not caring about the environment. Not to mention the approach "it doesn't really matter if its us or if we have an impact, we just need to stop. Damn the science and the consequences."

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And this is another post that demonstrates why these threads deteriorate and get locked.
You've blended so many assumptions and incorrecct statements into one post. You've also implicitly accused people of basically being "greedy polluters" and not caring about the environment. Not to mention the approach "it doesn't really matter if its us or if we have an impact, we just need to stop. Damn the science and the consequences."

Actually, Dm, I've grown weary of people sidestepping simple common sense. Basic priorities as follows: clean air and a healthy planet trump money making. People who are suffering from health problems trump money making. The flora and fauna that we share the planet, that contribute the richness of life and our own well-being trump money making. And you can make all the accusations you want, it doesn't make you any more credible than it did on your first post.

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Though i don't actually think there's a lot of hope for a thread like this if it starts out with one side calling the other fanatics on page 1.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
Actually, Dm, I've grown weary of people sidestepping simple common sense.
Yes, if you have no power to fix the problem, then spending shitloads of money to try is pointless.
Basic priorities as follows: clean air and a healthy planet trump money making.
And that has what to do with GW?
People who are suffering from health problems trump money making.

The flora and fauna that we share the planet, that contribute the richness of life and our own well-being trump money making.
Then you will be glad that higher CO2 levels contribute to richer vegetation

And you can make all the accusations you want, it doesn't make you any more credible than it did on your first post.
This is rich coming from you. You've blended everything together. Pollution, Greenhouse gasses, deforestation and whatnot.

I'll tell you my priorities:

Making decisions based on real facts trumps feelgood policies. Taking the money to fix problems that we can fix trumps spending money on problems we can't fix.
Oh, and one small bit, understanding what the hell I am talking about trumps talking out of my ***

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
I agree. Though i don't actually think there's a lot of hope for a thread like this if it starts out with one side calling the other fanatics on page 1.
We are in agreement here. As I said, if we want to have a reasonable conversation on the subject, both sides need to call out people on their own side who trumpet bs.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if you have no power to fix the problem, then spending shitloads of money to try is pointless.

Then you will be glad that higher CO2 levels contribute to richer vegetation

This is rich coming from you. You've blended everything together. Pollution, Greenhouse gasses, deforestation and whatnot.

I'll tell you my priorities:

Making decisions based on real facts trumps feelgood policies. Taking the money to fix problems that we can fix trumps spending money on problems we can't fix.
Oh, and one small bit, understanding what the hell I am talking about trumps talking out of my ***

You know, Dm, political process is so important, and you just want to ignore it. YOU are the one that makes claims like "nothing can be done" because I suspect you don't like the political movement associated with climate change and all it represents. But that movement essentially embraces environmental health. "Climate change" is the banner under which the battle is fought, but it represents so much more. It's an entire philosophy, and I'm absolutely for it.

I don't really care to discuss the "facts" as you'd like to "debate" them because the "facts" regarding climate change aren't really at the core of the problem. I have the scientists I believe - an awful lot of them - and you have yours. Arguing about it is a waste of time. I think the consensus agrees with me. But most importantly, I have my own observations -as does anybody with eyes that can see and a nose that can smell - and those observations undeniably underscore the need to change our behavior.

What's at the core of the disagreement about climate change is philosophical. It's political. And the people who want to maintain the status quo are going to lose, because the movement toward a healthier enviroment is far too strong and an absolute priority.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
You know, Dm, political process is so important, and you just want to ignore it. YOU are the one that makes claims like "nothing can be done" because I suspect you don't like the political movement associated with climate change and all it represents. But that movement essentially embraces environmental health. "Climate change" is the banner under which the battle is fought, but it represents so much more. It's an entire philosophy, and I'm absolutely for it.
Here you go, making assumptions again.
You suspect wrong. I am actually not claiming with certainty, "nothing can be done". I specifically think that GW is overwhelmingly due to natural processes that we can't do anything about, but this is my opinion. And I reached this opinion as a scientist after reading enough on the subject and being in the pro AGW camp for years (not combative, but generally pro). But again, I am advocating an open scientific debate to determin whether we can do anything about GW. As for general "environmental health", you simply make assumptions without knowing anything about me, my way of life.

I don't really care to discuss the "facts" as you'd like to "debate" them because the "facts" regarding climate change aren't really at the core of the problem.
Obviously. That's really a nice way to advance knowledge.
I have the scientists I believe - an awful lot of them - and you have yours. Arguing about it is a waste of time. I think the consensus agrees with me. But most importantly, I have my own observations -as does anybody with eyes that can see and a nose that can smell - and those observations undeniably underscore the need to change our behavior.
See, here is the difference between us. You simply believe what others tell you. Is it based on actually reading scientific papers, or just reports in the media? I, on the other hand, take care to actually read relevant papers from both sides and analize (to the extent I understand them. After all, they are not in my field) and to reach some conclusions. And the last sentence has what to do with GW, again? See, you keep lumping pollution with GW. I have no problem whatsoever of going for more efficient cleaner technologies. But that doesn't prevent me from distinguishing between different things. To you, on the other hand, as you yourself admitted, it isn't a matter of science, but a matter of ideology.

What's at the core of the disagreement about climate change is philosophical. It's political. And the people who want to maintain the status quo are going to lose, because the movement toward a healthier enviroment is far too strong and an absolute priority.
That is complete bollocks. Two sceptics I constantly cite -- Nir Shaviv lives in an environment friendly house (that means off the grid) and the other one Antony Watts, is also environment friendly (driving an electric car). The core of the debate (at least for many people) is what we base our actions on. And whether turning a scientific debate into basically a witch hunt is the right thing to do.

Here is a little note. I think IPCC and the whole AGW crowd has done science maybe irreparable damage. They try to suppress the opposition, push legislation and declare that "science is in". Well, there are a lot of signs now that science is definitely not in. If they are wrong (something I believe) we will continue to see divergence from the mainstream theory and scientists abandoning the ship. But here is the problem, IPCC, given the force of their statements have nowhere to retreat. If they admit they were wrong, it would mean they pushed bad science and this will damage the authority of science. Not to mention the policies they tried to pass. If they don't admit they were wrong, but shown to be wrong by continued refutation of their predictions, it will have the same effect, maybe even worse (and this pains me to say as a scientist). Hell, you see the number of Americans agreeing with the consensus theory going down already. What do you think it'll do in the future, when you try to make a case for other enviromental issues?

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here you go, making assumptions again.
You suspect wrong. I am actually not claiming with certainty, "nothing can be done". I specifically think that GW is overwhelmingly due to natural processes that we can't do anything about, but this is my opinion. And I reached this opinion as a scientist after reading enough on the subject and being in the pro AGW camp for years (not combative, but generally pro). But again, I am advocating an open scientific debate to determin whether we can do anything about GW. As for general "environmental health", you simply make assumptions without knowing anything about me, my way of life.

We have had open scientific debate. We've been debating it for years, Dm. Debate at this point means paralysis. We're beyond paralysis. People want something done to insure their health and well-being, that of their offspring and in general the flora and fauna. Climate change is a reality; there's no question about it. Who cares if it's partially man-made or completely man-made? It's our behavior that has to be altered and we should all be on that path.

Obviously. That's really a nice way to advance knowledge

Thanks for taking me out of context. But no matter how cheap, I guess you'll take your shots anyway you can get them.

See, here is the difference between us. You simply believe what others tell you. Is it based on actually reading scientific papers, or just reports in the media? I, on the other hand, take care to actually read relevant papers from both sides and analize (to the extent I understand them. After all, they are not in my field) and to reach some conclusions. And the last sentence has what to do with GW, again? See, you keep lumping pollution with GW. I have no problem whatsoever of going for more efficient cleaner technologies. But that doesn't prevent me from distinguishing between different things. To you, on the other hand, as you yourself admitted, it isn't a matter of science, but a matter of ideology.

No, that's not the difference between us. I've read so much about this that at this point it actually bores me. The difference between us is that you're deliberately missing the point. It's political. It's that simple. You don't like that. Too bad.

That is complete bollocks. Two sceptics I constantly cite -- Nir Shaviv lives in an environment friendly house (that means off the grid) and the other one Antony Watts, is also environment friendly (driving an electric car). The core of the debate (at least for many people) is what we base our actions on. And whether turning a scientific debate into basically a witch hunt is the right thing to do.

I don't care who you're quoting and whether or not they live in an igloo. As long as climate change is relevant in the eyes of a great number of people willing to change behaviors and make the environment a priority, I don't care whether you call it a climate spike, climate dip, climate control, climate alteration or climate concern. The point is, it's the vanguard of a movement that will make our quality of life better. Do I personally believe the climate is being changed by human behavior? Yes. But I don't care to what degree. As I said, climate change is the vanguard of a movement that will carry us into a healthier future. I'm on board.

And regarding your little "note," your litte "note" is not a little note. The battle about this issue has gone on for years. The "nothing to worry about" crowd is losing, and therefore, they claim suppression of information. If you're on board on stringent pollution control, that's the best I can hope for.

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really care to discuss the "facts" as you'd like to "debate" them because the "facts" regarding climate change aren't really at the core of the problem. I have the scientists I believe - an awful lot of them - and you have yours. Arguing about it is a waste of time. I think the consensus agrees with me. But most importantly, I have my own observations -as does anybody with eyes that can see and a nose that can smell - and those observations undeniably underscore the need to change our behavior.

But debating the facts is exactly what science is supposed to do. It is not a waste of time. The consensus agrees with you, whop-dee-doo. The consensus of scientists in Germany agreed with Hitler's eugenics theories too. They were wrong. Politics stopped the scientific debate, and millions died.

We must keep our science free of politics, or it ceases to be science.

And, of course, I think we all agree that we're against pollution of air and water (and land). It is not the same debate as AGW, and it's a mistake to confuse the two.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
We have had open scientific debate. We've been debating it for years, Dm. Debate at this point means paralysis. We're beyond paralysis. People want something done to insure their health and well-being, that of their offspring and in general the flora and fauna. Climate change is a reality; there's no question about it. Who cares if it's partially man-made or completely man-made? It's our behavior that has to be altered and we should all be on that path.

Thanks for taking me out of context. But no matter how cheap, I guess you'll take your shots anyway you can get them.

No, that's not the difference between us. I've read so much about this that at this point it actually bores me. The difference between us is that you're deliberately missing the point. It's political. It's that simple. You don't like that. Too bad.

I don't care who you're quoting and whether or not they live in an igloo. As long as climate change is relevant in the eyes of a great number of people willing to change behaviors and make the environment a priority, I don't care whether you call it a climate spike, climate dip, climate control, climate alteration or climate concern. The point is, it's the vanguard of a movement that will make our quality of life better. Do I personally believe the climate is being changed by human behavior? Yes. But I don't care to what degree. As I said, climate change is the vanguard of a movement that will carry us into a healthier future. I'm on board.

And regarding your little "note," your litte "note" is not a little note. The battle about this issue has gone on for years. The "nothing to worry about" crowd is losing, and therefore, they claim suppression of information. If you're on board on stringent pollution control, that's the best I can hope for.
You've just proved that for you this is a political issue and not a scientific one.
And no, the battle is still on. And the recent and upcoming years will open it yet further as we are in a cooling trend.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've just proved that for you this is a political issue and not a scientific one.
And no, the battle is still on. And the recent and upcoming years will open it yet further as we are in a cooling trend.

And the cooling trend is due to an overall warming which I would think you would know, and thus the beat goes on. Of course it's a political issue. The science has been established. It's just a question of how quickly we can ramp up and do something about it.

GregB

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Scientific Consensus" is a meaningless term.

If I weren't convinced it's all a hoax, I'd suggest that this view makes rational discussion between laypeople a bit difficult.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
And the cooling trend is due to an overall warming which I would think you would know, and thus the beat goes on. Of course it's a political issue. The science has been established. It's just a question of how quickly we can ramp up and do something about it.
What?
A cooling general trend is due to overall warming?
And no, the science hasn't been established. This is the whole point.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
So, scientists "hope to understand". Do you have any evidence this is actually happening? Or even a link to a study as opposed to an article in a newspaper? Because, you know, I can hand wave a lot and say "I hope to understand how the planet has warmed".

EDIT: Just to be clear here. Are you trying to claim that the recent trend (about ten years) of cooling is due to what you linked here? Seriously?

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You remeber that first post you made in this thread? About how these things get locked? Well, this post is an excellent start.
I think the problem is more the anger with which some reply to simple factual statements.
You've just broadbrashed everybody who opposes AGW (and that includes around 70% of US citizens), including many reputable scientists, and compared them to creationists. That is absolute bollocks. While this comparison might be true for some, it certainly isn't true for most.
First, your figure is incorrect; it's exactly the opposite. A majority of Americans believes that gw is a real and serious problem, according to numerous polls over the last few years.

A majority of Republicans, however, do doubt it.

Second, I did not reference those who question if GW has been definitively proved. I referenced those, like Senator Inhofe, who proclaim GW "the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on the American people."

And third, I have never said that being conservative equals being a GW denier. What I said was that if you are a GW denier, the chances are great that you are also politically conservative. That is a simple factual observation. The possible reasons for that I did not address.

Not all, or even most GW doubters are creationists. But all or most creationists are also GW doubters. Make of that what you will.
In general, you want to have a rational debate on the subject, start by not accusing people who disagree with this theory of having alterior motives, not understanding science, being on par with creationists etc. And call out people on your side that do this. Same goes for the other side. Accusing AGW proponents of hoax is unhelpful and serves no other purpose but to inflame.
Actually, I have no interest in continuing the GW debate. My post was a direct response to Zoombie, and agreed with the observation that this scientific debate is split mostly upon ideological lines. That observation is demonstrably true.

I also tried to explain why I believe supporters can be so passionate, but that was just my opinion.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Gee, generalizations are abounding.

See, it's so much easier to make this a partisan issue than to debate the realities of it. After all, it's all the Republicans' fault. Democrats would never disbelieve in global warming, would they? Only the Republicans would do such a thing--or, at least, the chances are greater that such people would be conservative.

So, instead of discussing this issue from a scientific or factual basis, let's make it into a conservative and liberal issue instead. That way all of the facts can be buried beneath baseless accusations and mud-slinging. That way, any meaningful conversation can be lost behind ideological platforms. That way, this thread--like all the others--can deteriorate into arguments that get increasingly acrimonious and accomplish nothing.

Because, of course, if we don't get our digs in at the opposite side of the political spectrum then we're not accomplishing our true goal--which is to blame one party for the actions of generations of human behavior regardless of political ideology. As long as people continue to make this a political issue, we won't be able to arrive at a solution to the problem. That is our goal, after all--right? To solve the problems of global warming if such a thing exists? To sift through the scientific information and arrive at a logical and realistic conclusion? To help save the planet even?

Political accusations will not save the planet. To make environmental issues into partisan debate pushes them onto the back burner and prevents us from taking action. Why don't all of us try to take Democrat and Republican out of this debate and look at the real issues for a while. I realize that some of you won't be happy unless you can sit at your desk and blame this all on George W. Bush (who is also responsible for the last Ice Age and obesity apparently) but you're not accomplishing anything by doing so. All you're doing is deflecting the conversation away from the real issue and substituting a personal agenda of your own.

And that doesn't help to solve anything.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
See, it's so much easier to make this a partisan issue than to debate the realities of it. After all, it's all the Republicans' fault. Democrats would never disbelieve in global warming, would they? Only the Republicans would do such a thing--or, at least, the chances are greater that such people would be conservative.
Yes, far better to ignore inconvenient facts.

I haven't blamed anyone for anything. I have simply acknowledged an interesting fact -- that for whatever reasons, the debate in this country, and the world, is largely divided on ideological lines.

Are you saying that isn't the case?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
I'm saying, rugcat, that the propensity for turning environmental or scientific debates into the blame game based upon party affiliations is counterproductive to the actual problem and creates new problems that eclipse the real issue.

Can I be any more clear about that?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Regardless of the reality of GW, I maintain:

1) that those claiming absolute predicative power re the future of the climate are fooling themselves at best, being absolute fools at worst

2) that those who believe they can change this future in a predictable way--by whatever means--ARE absolute fools

3) that any world-wide program designed to "prevent" global warming will have large-scale unintended consequences that have the potential to be much worse for mankind than the "predicted" future

4) that there remains a good chunk of people devoted to GW as a means of acquiring wealth and power.

I'm not a Global Warming denier, by any stretch, but I believe I'm much more of a realist than any of those that fit the above descriptions.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I have simply acknowledged an interesting fact -- that for whatever reasons, the debate in this country, and the world, is largely divided on ideological lines.

Are you saying that isn't the case?
I agree with you. But its predictable--from my vantage point--because those on the left are more willing to believe in causes that require large-scale government fixes. The economy is no different, nor was Aids, nor a host of other things. In contrast, those on the right are apt to doubt causes that require large-scale government intervention to "save us all."

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
I can't stand Al Gore. (which has absolutely nothing to do with global warming and everything to do with Smart Grid.)

I guess that's another thread though.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I'm saying, rugcat, that the propensity for turning environmental or scientific debates into the blame game based upon party affiliations is counterproductive to the actual problem and creates new problems that eclipse the real issue.

Can I be any more clear about that?

But I'm not turning it into anything. I'm acknowledging a very real problem that exists, one that won't go away just because it's never mentioned. For example, Al Gore is anathema to conservatives. Anything he says will be viewed with skepticism and hostility. If he says GW is a real and serious problem, there are many who will assume he's lying, and will rush to find evidence to support their belief.

When liberals see an arch conservative like Inhofe declaring GW a hoax, they assume whatever he's saying must be the rantings of a nutjob and do the same.

This is the exact opposite of the model for scientific research. where data is gathered and conclusions are formed from that data. If people come to the GW debate with preconceived beliefs based on ideological positions, from both sides, there can be no fruitful debate.

And sadly, that's exactly what has happened. Most people see the question through an ideological lens. You may see that pointing out this incontrovertible fact as unhelpful; I see refusing to acknowledge it as pointless.

"Since 1997, Republicans have grown increasingly likely to believe media coverage of global warming is exaggerated, and that trend continues in the 2009 survey; however, this year marks a relatively sharp increase among independents as well. In just the past year, Republican doubters grew from 59% to 66%, and independents from 33% to 44%, while the rate among Democrats remained close to 20%"

http://www.gallup.com/poll/116590/increased-number-think-global-warming-exaggerated.aspx