7th Heaven Star Confesses to Child Molestation

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
Could this be ruled inadmissible? Not only was it a therapy session, but it was marriage counselling?

If it were, I don't think that would rule out testimony from victims if they came forward.

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
It's a little unclear to me--from the article, I get the impression that it was the wife who released the tape, and that it may have been the wife who taped the session in the first place, possibly without the therapist's knowledge. In that case, does doctor-patient confidentiality apply? Though therapists can request that people don't reveal what other patients say in group/couples sessions and can make future participation contingent on the patients' respect for confidentiality, the therapist can't control what patients divulge.

If the therapist recorded or permitted the recording without his consent, then I would have a big problem with that. When I was in therapy, there was a lot of emphasis placed on getting my consent to have sessions taped, and I believe my therapist also told me up front about what types of situations permitted her to reveal things stuff from our sessions to other parties.

But if the wife took it upon herself to record the session and then chose to release the recording, I don't see what the therapist could have done to prevent that. I think it was a bit underhanded for the wife to take advantage of the supposed confidentiality of a therapy session to obtain the confession, and I question her motives for releasing the tape now, and to TMZ.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.

It would seem that she doesn't give a shit about the victims here at all, she's just looking to punish him. And that's a shame, especially considering he might have molested other children since 2012.

this is what I was thinking as well, not to mention that now that TMZ has the tape (did she get paid by TMZ to hand over the tape? If so add in another layer of sleaze.) it would seem that some of this information can no longer be used in court against the guy, if it is in fact all true.

I really feel for the victims here, seems that they are once again getting the short end of the stick.

milkweed

Abuses commas at will.
Registered
Reaction score
I think it was a bit underhanded for the wife to take advantage of the supposed confidentiality of a therapy session to obtain the confession, and I question her motives for releasing the tape now, and to TMZ.

I'm guessing she's making some major $$$ from TMZ for the release of said tape. Also if she's a washed up has been of an actress, don't know who she is never heard of her before today, then it also puts her back on the map PR wise.

Like I said in my previous post, she's a major sleaze bag. She's known since 2012 so apparently didn't care one wit about the victims, just about herself.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
It's a little unclear to me--from the article, I get the impression that it was the wife who released the tape, and that it may have been the wife who taped the session in the first place, possibly without the therapist's knowledge. In that case, does doctor-patient confidentiality apply? Though therapists can request that people don't reveal what other patients say in group/couples sessions and can make future participation contingent on the patients' respect for confidentiality, the therapist can't control what patients divulge.

If the therapist recorded or permitted the recording without his consent, then I would have a big problem with that. When I was in therapy, there was a lot of emphasis placed on getting my consent to have sessions taped, and I believe my therapist also told me up front about what types of situations permitted her to reveal things stuff from our sessions to other parties.

But if the wife took it upon herself to record the session and then chose to release the recording, I don't see what the therapist could have done to prevent that. I think it was a bit underhanded for the wife to take advantage of the supposed confidentiality of a therapy session to obtain the confession, and I question her motives for releasing the tape now, and to TMZ.

That's how I read it too, but I think it's tricky legal ground. Did he have a clear expectation of privacy there. Then there's spousal privilege. But I also know that the inclusion of a 3rd party can nullify both.

If I have a conversation with my doctor in front of Paul Stanley, then it's not covered by patient/doctor confidentiality.

If I have a conversation with my wife in front of Patrick Stewart, same thing.

But if I have a conversation in what I expect to be covered by doctor/patient confidentiality for a marriage counseling session, does that negate any privacy or violation of self incrimination, or re-enforce it.

In the end, I don't think it'll matter. They need to find victims. But legally, I'm not sure.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score

HeavilyMedicated

Registered
Reaction score
According to the article, she consulted with a lawyer and was told it was legal.

I find it telling that she had this tape in 2012, but is only releasing it now during a nasty divorce.

I feel no sympathy for him, but I think it's pretty sleazy to secretly tape a therapy session.

I think she denied releasing it, but who knows how true that is.

I have zero sympathy for him and I think the crimes he admitted to trumps whatever sleaziness of recording it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Could this be ruled inadmissible? Not only was it a therapy session, but it was marriage counselling?

If it were, I don't think that would rule out testimony from victims if they came forward.

It's likely useless, but not because it came from marriage counseling the way I think you're thinking.

There may not be anything to come of this. It was apparently long ago and there's no victim.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Yes -- again, it depends on the state law -- here, you can practice 'therapy' without much education, but you still have to be licensed and anyone who is, is required by law to report crimes and imminent danger. There are exceptions to the licensing requirements, like someone who is a 'spiritual advisor'. I'd have to go look up the regulations to see if someone like that would still be considered a mandatory reporter. I know lots of other professionals are, such as medical staff, teachers, etc. I was, when I was a massage therapist.

Mandated reporter laws are stricter for crimes or threats involving children than for adults, at least in many states. Here in CA, if you are an educator or employee of a school or of the public education system, a child care provider, a health care provider, a mental health care provider, a member of the clergy, a law enforcement officer, or even a commercial film or photographic print processor (yes, they used to catch child abuse this way, because some molesters like to take pictures--of course nowadays, digital photography makes this sort of thing less relevant), you are a mandated reporter. This means if have reason to believe a minor child has been harmed, or may be harmed, through willful abuse or neglect, you're required to report it to the authorities.

But every state is different.

And mandated reporting means reporting to the proper authorities, not putting a therapy session up on the web. The latter could be a violation of doctor-patient confidentiality, even if laws require you to report crimes against children.

SKDaley

Registered
Reaction score
Supposedly, the wife handed over the recording to the police, not TMZ (she claims she had nothing to do with that. Who knows?) She also says she learned about the abuse earlier in 2012 and was secretly recording the session on her attorney's advice (nothing to do with the therapist, at all.) So, if you believe her, she didn't know about his crimes during their marriage.

Now, he is being investigated by the NYPD, and the taped session is part of it. I don't know what the statute of limitations is on child abuse. Hopefully, he will see some jail time.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They need to find victims. But legally, I'm not sure.
There may not be anything to come of this. It was apparently long ago and there's no victim.
Now, he is being investigated by the NYPD, and the taped session is part of it. I don't know what the statute of limitations is on child abuse. Hopefully, he will see some jail time.
One of the victims did file a report but New York's statue of limitations had run out by the time she'd tried.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I never watched the show. The saccharine commercials for it always made my hackles lift. I can't say 'Now I know why', because I've always instantly distrusted a certain kind of overt, sanctimonious religiosity. Texas Southern Baptists in the extended family - I know what kinds of skeletons can be in those closets.

The wife's apparent selfishness is as much a problem as the husband's criminal behavior.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Seth MacFarlane wasted no time firing him today from his "small role" on Ted 2.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/07/ted-2-drops-stephen-collins/

Although the 67-year-old actor has not yet been charged with a crime, the recording of him admitting to the crimes (first published on TMZ) and the police investigation that has since been launched were enough to lead MacFarlane and Universal Pictures to immediately end his involvement in the movie.

Last edited:

Jack Oskar Larm

Just me and my guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Shine a light and watch religion wither.

When will we say we've had enough human sacrifice?

Through gritted teeth, I apologise for these words.

Forbidden Snowflake

I'm quite put out.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vinjii.ch
I loved it. Part of it was sentimental. Carol the mom on the show was pregnant with twins at the same time we were. Plus, I'm a sap.

I loved it as well. Obviously we made fun of some of the heavily moral filled episodes. Obviously it was cheesy. But it was so sweet and heart-warming, especially when you're 14 and have the impression the world is evil ;)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

What does religion have to do with this at all? Because he played a pastor on TV? I smell an agenda in this post. But whatever...

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
According to the article, she consulted with a lawyer and was told it was legal.

I find it telling that she had this tape in 2012, but is only releasing it now during a nasty divorce.

I feel no sympathy for him, but I think it's pretty sleazy to secretly tape a therapy session.

My thoughts exactly.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, they've been divorced for about two years now, according to most of the articles I've seen. He ex gave the tape "to the authorities" back in 2012, during the divorce proceedings, and it's only now coming to light. Something's not adding up here.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it as well. Obviously we made fun of some of the heavily moral filled episodes.

Some? I can't think of a single episode that was NOT up its own ass with religious righteousness. I recall the episode about how you should respect women, and how listening to rap music will prevent you from doing that. That one almost went too far for even me and my friends to laugh at.

Vince524

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com

What does religion have to do with this at all? Because he played a pastor on TV? I smell an agenda in this post. But whatever...

He also played the 1st officer of the Enterprise in the 1st Star Trek movie. Should we also shine a light and watch the values of the Federation and Starfleet wither?

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw now that the tapes were turned over to police in 2012, who apparently decided NOT to press charges? Holy shit.

heza

Registered
Reaction score
I never watched the show. The saccharine commercials for it always made my hackles lift. I can't say 'Now I know why', because I've always instantly distrusted a certain kind of overt, sanctimonious religiosity. Texas Southern Baptists in the extended family - I know what kinds of skeletons can be in those closets.

The same kinds of skeletons members of every other group in the world can have in their closets?

I'm not sure why you're bringing Southern Texas Baptists into this particular conversation since the show wasn't about Baptists (the services appear to be shot in a Christian Church, but the vestments/service seem to be more United Methodist Church) and isn't set in Texas but in California.