Do you read much outside of the genre you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Gnome

Two Thumbs Up
Registered
Reaction score
I read everything but romance, and have written 6 different novels in different genres so far.

My problem is that I don't read enough newer stuff. I've read less than 5 books released in the last decade. So its sometimes hard to get a feel for the current style, themes and ideas in these genres.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I read everything - genre is irrelevant.

If something is well-written, I will read it.

Flicka

Dull Old Person
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theragsoftime.com
I'm not even know what my genre is... Possibly historical mystery/thriller?

I do read a lot of historical fiction though, and crime too, but far from exclusively. I basically read everything I can get my hands on.

Pinkclaw

Registered
Reaction score
I do but I'm more selective with them, when reading fantasy/horror/paranormal stories I read because I know I'll enjoy and can see how the authors will work the themes or what I shouldn't do. With others genres I won't give them much layaway.

chaeron

loves sci-fi and fantasy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jadekerrion.com
I write sci-fi but read extensively across most genres, including non-fiction. The genre I rarely touch is horror, but that's only because a good horror book will keep me up for a week and a half.

GummyShoes

Registered
Reaction score
I actually don't tend to read the same genre's that I write though I do like psychological horrors I haven't found many that I liked and I prefer dystopia's and fantasy's which I do write too just not as well.
I guess I'm picky.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
So far I've tried writing literary fiction and historical fiction.

I read both of those, but I also read women's fiction, mysteries, and spy novels. I rarely read fantasy or sci fi. I'll read YA if I'm assigned to for my work. (I had to do a bunch of novel study guides a couple of years ago.) I never read horror. Ever.

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
I read a bunch of genres, though the genre I am more interested in developing my skills at -- romance -- I rarely read. My dislike for romance is what takes me to want to write it, so I can get out of my comfort zone and work with something I have a "block" with.

Although is not exactly working. I had two great ideas for romance but still, I don't develop them because I get bored as soon as I begin.

Civic

Isosceles Triangle Expert
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not against reading broadly, but the last five or so books have been in the genre I'm writing. As long as it's good I'll read it.

L. Y.

Thread surfer and virtual bartender
Registered
Reaction score
My genre is fantasy fiction, and I read a boatload of that, but I read quite a bit outside my genre, including horror, suspense & mystery, historical fiction and non-fiction, etc.

In my humble opinion, good writing is good writing.

Hiroko

Which of them was the machine?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a sci-fi person, but I can read outside the genre no problem if the book interests me enough. One can learn from any writing, really.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I write fantasy and have recently started experimenting with erotica and erotic romance. Together those genres are definitely a lot of what I read, but I love SF (as long as it isn't preceded by the word 'hard' or 'military'), horror, GLBT fiction, dark contemporary fiction, literary fiction, and experimental fiction (as long as it doesn't break my brain). I want to read some more gothic or paranormal mysteries but am having trouble finding good ones. I will occasionally read a YA book if it looks dark and interesting enough.

Definitely the variety of fiction I read has helped my writing. All the erotic romance reading makes my romance subplots very strong and my interest in literary fiction helps me emphasize character and theme. My long background in horror shows clearly when I write action and adventure scenes (they tend to be less pleasant and more visceral than is typical for epic fantasy). Every genre has overall strengths and weaknesses, so you can learn a great deal by reading widely.

Actually, I think I may have chosen epic fantasy as my genre not because I like reading it best (though I do enjoy it) but because it allows me to incorporate elements of all other genres. I like taking the strong, complex plots natural to epic fantasy and adding heavy amounts of eroticism, horror, and deep character exploration. Of course, this requires me to be good at everything . . . lol

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
I'll read pretty much any flavor of genre fiction, even if it's outside my writing interest. I have trouble turning off the critical eye when it's a book in my preferred writing genre, so it sometime seems like all my favorite books are contemporary mystery or suspense novels. (I write UF and PNR)

Haven't really jumped on the literary train yet, but I've got a couple in my TBR pile that I'm pretty excited about starting.

I also enjoy nonfiction, especially autobiographies. Basically I just likes to read :)

Stringer Greenbrier

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really read at all anymore but back in the day, I'd be okay with reading any genre. The last time I had an impulse to read anything, I found myself hitting up various autobiographies.

djunamod

Registered
Reaction score
For me, that's sort of a tough question to answer because most of what I read is classic literature. The "genre" (if you can call it that) that I write in is contemporary/literary fiction (family dramas, mostly). I do read a lot of family drama fiction and much of the Victorian fiction that I love (like Middlemarch and Jane Eyre) has a lot of family drama built in. But I also read a lot of classics that are considered belonging to other genres - like mystery (The Lodger, Sherlock Holmes) and horror (Dracula, etc).

So I guess the answer is, yes, I do read out of my genre, but classic literature is classic literature to me :D.

Djuna

Status
Not open for further replies.