• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
So I wrote an ending to this novel today just to have an ending for it. It royally sucks.

I hate this novel. It will have to sit in the drawer until I don't hate it any more. I'm pencilling that in for 2042.

MJDavis

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Right now I'm wondering how I'll ever make it through this novel. 25,000 words in, the next 5 chapters roughly outlined, and no clue where I'm going after that. Well, a very vague clue.

I spent the day designing my book cover to try to get re-motivated. The good news? The cover is awesome.

Triplec224

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think I've worked on the same project on consecutive days in over a month. I'm inching my way through about four stories and a novel right now.

Mare

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.maryjhicks.com
Tell yourself something enough times and you start to believe it—what you believe will eventually come about. So be kind and encourage the inner you—you are a writer, it's in there, coax it out with gentle words, bribes of chocolate if necessary.:Hug2:

I'm tired and going to bed—I played too hard today; my characters are too much fun.:D

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
I hate one of my character's names and yet, I can't seem to come up with anything better. It's starting to drive me a little crazy now. He's so real in my mind too - I know so much about him so why can't I give him a name that personifies the person that I see and know??

I am distracted beyond belief about this - I know it will come eventually but it's the waiting to find that name that is so very difficult.

Cornelius Gault

New writer since 07/2012.
Banned
Registered
Reaction score
I painted myself into a corner with one of my characters in my WIP (Detective 12). I have a hacker-type and a boss-type (committing fraud) and have somehow gotten them both mixed into the same character. I need to add a new character or company. TAKE A BREATH, he says to himself. It looks about time for some more rethinking and another reboot. I spent about 1-2 weeks rebooting my story ("novel", he says half-heartedly) into two novels in one, two points of view. Nothing to request => it is what it is.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to think how I can take one of my ideas that's similar to a very popular series and make it my own.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking 'hang on a minute there WriterDude, 25k words from target, and most of them acceptable, I'd better start thinking about drawing this thing to a close' 10 to 15k could easily be absorbed by plugging a few gaps and fleshing out some details.

Also wondering how I stuck to the outline and ended up with a slow burn romance interweaved with my technosocioeconomic commentary. Its a funny old world.

Also also thinking that Mark Radcliffe's Music Club on Radio 2 this evening is most excellent, but that's not really anything to do with the book.

Anna Spargo-Ryan

Just pokin' about
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.annaspargoryan.com
Just had an unsolicited email from a big publisher, asking if I'm working on any YA and to please send it to them if I am.

I haven't been. I have an outline and some chapters, but I don't know if YA is really my calling in life. On the other hand, it would be criminal to waste the opportunity to get it in front of a publisher like this one.

Emails from adult mainstream/lit fiction publishers invited anytime ;)

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
Embarking on a rewrite...never done one before...nervous...

Ellielle

needs something clever to put here
Registered
Reaction score
I really wish I could be a pantser. I hate needing to plan. Hate it hate it hate it. I am okay with writing (most of the time), and I'm okay with revising (most of the time), but planning? Please, no.

Unfortunately, I have now written several false starts for a new WIP, and I'm pretty sure I'm going nowhere without a plan.

So now I must sit down and plan. Ugh. :Hammer:

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Today I found out that you can’t quote song lyrics in your novel without first securing permission from the copyright holder. Now I’m going to have to delete from my MS a short quote of a song. To be safe, I’m going to delete a few other references to song titles too. Don’t wanna get sued. Ugh.

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Finally back to the rewrite on one of my short stories. I keep putting it off because it's going to take a lot of work. I know, I know. This thing is going to need some serious redrafting to get into decent shape. My own fault for trying to write a story I wasn't ready for.

Erin Latimer

Stay in and write.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to think how I can take one of my ideas that's similar to a very popular series and make it my own.

I'm in he exact same position. :( My characters go to a boarding house (not school) with classes (not magic) but my beta readers are still all comparing it to Harry Potter. Which is fair enough, but it's a pain trying to plot and coming up with something I think is great and then going, "oh no wait, there was a mention of that in the fifth book, crap".

Laura J

Odessa Quinn
Registered
Reaction score
I'm in he exact same position. :( My characters go to a boarding house (not school) with classes (not magic) but my beta readers are still all comparing it to Harry Potter. Which is fair enough, but it's a pain trying to plot and coming up with something I think is great and then going, "oh no wait, there was a mention of that in the fifth book, crap".

Yep, I've got one of the those too. Mine is not a magical school, but there is magic, different than traditional magic and it's all underground. I keep writing around HP. I went ahead and mentioned it so it isn't the elephant in the room.

geminirising

Registered
Reaction score
What's on my mind is that I think I'm finally settling into a writing rhythm, 28K words into my book.

So I'm totally a spurter. Wow, that sounds gross, but it's true. My maximum "sitting in one place and writing nonstop with WiFi turned off" is one hour, and I HAVE to get it done in the morning before work, with coffee by my side. Bonus points if I can write outside or by a (preferably open) window.

In addition to this, I'll do a few 10- to 15-minute editing spurts (Wi-fi off, again) throughout the day.

I've been wasting so much time telling myself, "Oh, you can write whenever, for hours, blah, blah, blah!" because it's so meandering and useless. I always end up getting distracted. But if I know the writing or editing task is confined to set, shorter periods, my productivity increases and the writing quality improves.