Death: Moving the Goalposts on Definition?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just read this very interesting article from the Washington Post, (via Yahoo!). In it, the writer is talking about how the medical definition of "death" seems to keep moving; particularly in relation to the issue of organ donation.

A team of doctors in Denver removed the heart of one infant 75 seconds after it stopped, implanted it into the body of another and re-started the heart.

Ethical quandries abound on this particular issue as it stands. Advances in medicine seem to be blurring the line between life and death even more. I think this further emphasizes the need for well articulated advance directives that are very specific. I have other thoughts as well, but I'd like to throw this out there for discussion as is...

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I think it further emphasizes the need for having a living will as soon as you're able to sign one.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Now that you mention it, thanks to modern medicine the definition has been moving in the other direction as well, as in people being routinely revived who, had they been in the same state decades ago, would have been declared dead and given up on.
The "declaration of death" can be questionable, as there are cases where someone is revived, either on their own or with medical interention, minutes or even hours after not having a heartbeat or lacking some other sign of life such as breathing. It would depend on the circumstances (so unfortunately I'd have to be conscious at the time to decide, but if I were dying of something like cancer and had clearly been near death anyway, there wouldn't be much sense in trying to revive me), but I'd hesistate to sign something that said "you take my organs the moment I'm [declared] dead."
I think it further emphasizes the need for having a living will as soon as you're able to sign one.
You mean on your 18th birthday? I might make that a little younger, such as before one can get a learner's or driver's license (or just move the minimum driving age to 18). Or at least for a minor to get a license, a parent would have to sign/cosign such a statement.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
...why didn't they restart the heart in the first baby?

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
...why didn't they restart the heart in the first baby?

The heart may have not been the problem. Restarting it may not have continued the infant's life, only serving to prolong the moment of death.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It tended to make it sound like the "donater" could have been revived. They may not have. Depending on which side of the fence you sit on (your loved one dying or needing to be saved) two very different opinions can be formed. I'm not sure how I would feel in either instance but... I sure do hope I get more than 75 seconds to see if I make it.

SHBueche

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ShelleyBueche.com
Think I'd rather be the President of the United States, than to be responsible for determining life and death distinctions.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
The heart may have not been the problem. Restarting it may not have continued the infant's life, only serving to prolong the moment of death.
You stole my thunder!
I'm not sure how I feel about this. It tended to make it sound like the "donater" could have been revived. They may not have. Depending on which side of the fence you sit on (your loved one dying or needing to be saved) two very different opinions can be formed. I'm not sure how I would feel in either instance but... I sure do hope I get more than 75 seconds to see if I make it.
I feel that way too - under such extreme conditions we can only "trust" doctors to make the "correct" judgements, and even with over a decade of medical school, internship and whatnot, they're still only human.
Think I'd rather be the President of the United States, than to be responsible for determining life and death distinctions.
At least a doctor is doing this without (much?) POLITICAL pressure. The President, along with his (her?) other duties, also determines life or death, and probably for more lives than does an emergency room doctor. Not only is he the Commander In Chief and can send people to fight and die in war, he can (as I understand it) save a life just by signing a piece of paper pardoning someone on Death Row. Big example right now: Troy Davis.

Last edited:

JoNightshade

has finally arrived
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ramseyhootman.com
I think because the brain was taking too long to die and organs are best taken as fast as possible.

Hm. If this is the case, then, I think this is the definition we need to go back to. Yes, it's nice to have organs for other people who are dying, but it's also nice not to kill people before they're really dead. I don't think "but they're going to die soon anyway" is a sufficient justification for ending any life, because it's subject to blurring. As in, if someone is going to die anyway, the line we take the organs at gets to be earlier and earlier, until we're saying, "Well, she's 80. She's going to die soon anyway, so let's take her organs for someone younger who has a better chance at life."

Also, I just plain don't like the idea of still having brain function as someone starts cutting me open and taking out all my parts. Yeah, maybe it's not very much function, but nobody really knows, now do they?

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. If this is the case, then, I think this is the definition we need to go back to. Yes, it's nice to have organs for other people who are dying, but it's also nice not to kill people before they're really dead. I don't think "but they're going to die soon anyway" is a sufficient justification for ending any life, because it's subject to blurring. As in, if someone is going to die anyway, the line we take the organs at gets to be earlier and earlier, until we're saying, "Well, she's 80. She's going to die soon anyway, so let's take her organs for someone younger who has a better chance at life."

Also, I just plain don't like the idea of still having brain function as someone starts cutting me open and taking out all my parts. Yeah, maybe it's not very much function, but nobody really knows, now do they?

Yeah, that's sorta creepy, to say the least. When I read this article, I was thinking of this lady. If they'd only waited 75 seconds to harvest her organs...she'd be dead now (again), instead of alive. Sure, some people might have recieved a new lease on life themselves, but dang. Those are HER organs, and I don't think anyone should be taking them (consent or no consent), until she's well and truly dead.

And she was. Or so we thought. This whole deal just really freaks me out.