Where Can This Go: The Atomic Subterrene

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
Before anything else, I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this question; if not, I apologize.

I'm writing an article on a piece of technology called the Atomic Subterrene - subterrene as in a terrestrial analogue to the submarine. Despite the goofy sounding name, this was a real thing patented by the Atomic Energy Commission, although it was never actually built. It would have used the heat of a nuclear reactor to melt tunnels through the ground.

I started writing the article purely for writing practice, but about halfway through it occurred to me that it's an interesting enough idea that it might actually be publishable. But I'm having trouble thinking of a magazine it would be appropriate for, and that's why I came here.

If there was an equivalent to the Airplane History magazines for atomic energy programs, that would be ideal, but I haven't found one. I considered a general history magazine, but the ones I've found are primarily interested in the wider impact of whatever you're writing about, and the subterrene didn't really have a wider impact except for inspiring conspiracy theorists. Aside from that, I'm considering submitting it as a science fact article to a science fiction magazine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
What about magazines that deal more generally with technology and machinery, like Wired or Popular Mechanics?

Or general interest magazines like The Atlantic? (Especially if you can tie in conspiracy theories and cultural relevance.)

asnys

Do Not Fear the Future
Registered
Reaction score
Website
atomic-skies.blogspot.com
What about magazines that deal more generally with technology and machinery, like Wired or Popular Mechanics?

Or general interest magazines like The Atlantic? (Especially if you can tie in conspiracy theories and cultural relevance.)

Thanks, I'll look into those.