Who writes the tv show and movie descriptions on Hulu and Netflix?

fivepennies

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nikipayne.com
Who writes the tv show and movie descriptions on Hulu and Netflix? Can you get paid to do that? How would I go about getting these kind of writing projects? That would be such a fun job.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Sorry, I don't know the answer. But that would be a fun job, and I have no doubt you'd be better at it than whoever's doing it now.

For instance, the description for the movie Kingdom of Heaven. A couple of years ago, I noticed it had this description:
Netflix a couple of years ago said:
During the 12th century in the holy city of Jerusalem, a young peasant blacksmith (Orlando Bloom) takes up the mantle of knighthood so he can help repel the army of Christian crusaders that took control of the city in the year 1099.
You'll notice this is idiotic. (It includes the fact that Christian crusaders took over the city in 1099, but then scrambles the relationship between that fact and the action taking place nearly a hundred years later.)

I wrote to Netflix on the subject; sent them several dozen emails with no response. Finally got somebody on the phone, and I explained to him how to fix the description: change "Christian crusaders" to "Islamic warriors" or "Saracens", and change 1099 to 1187.

Well, they managed to make it worse. They changed exactly one word. Here's the description as it reads now:
Netflix said:
During the 12th century in the holy city of Jerusalem, a young peasant blacksmith (Orlando Bloom) takes up the mantle of knighthood so he can help repel the army of Islamic crusaders that took control of the city in the year 1099.
That's right. "Islamic crusaders".

WordCount

You don't have coffee? Go away.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, I don't know the answer. But that would be a fun job, and I have no doubt you'd be better at it than whoever's doing it now.

For instance, the description for the movie Kingdom of Heaven. A couple of years ago, I noticed it had this description:You'll notice this is idiotic. (It includes the fact that Christian crusaders took over the city in 1099, but then scrambles the relationship between that fact and the action taking place nearly a hundred years later.)

I wrote to Netflix on the subject; sent them several dozen emails with no response. Finally got somebody on the phone, and I explained to him how to fix the description: change "Christian crusaders" to "Islamic warriors" or "Saracens", and change 1099 to 1187.

Well, they managed to make it worse. They changed exactly one word. Here's the description as it reads now:
That's right. "Islamic crusaders".

Even better than inaccurate descriptions, is the placement of the movies. I've often found slashers like "Friday the 13th" in the Heartfelt Family Movies section. Either they think it's hilarious, (of course, at times, it is) or they really need to find a new profession.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Even better than inaccurate descriptions, is the placement of the movies. I've often found slashers like "Friday the 13th" in the Heartfelt Family Movies section. Either they think it's hilarious, (of course, at times, it is) or they really need to find a new profession.
Well, in a way, Friday the 13th is about a mother who's deeply devoted to her son, amidst the beautiful sights and sounds of nature at Crystal Lake.