What should I read next? Urban Fantasy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
Patricia Briggs... the Mercy Thompson series and the Alpha and Omega series
Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series (I think I have the name of that right...)
Carrie Vaughn's Kitty series

ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY Both are good but I LOVE the Alpha and Omega books plus the short novella thats in On the Prowl.
Those deserve attention!

Pyekett

I need no hot / Words.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nice to see plenty I haven't yet read.

I like Charles De Lint's stuff, especially his stories and novels based in Newford. It's a nice departure from the usual kick-ass heroine-based UF. Many of his characters are artists and writers and his stories are often based in Native American mythology.

Charles De Lint is a favorite of mine as well.

Further back (1985) but a classic: Wizard of the Pigeons, from before Megan Lindholm became Robin Hobb.

Jess Haines

Boldly going nowhere in particular.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY Both are good but I LOVE the Alpha and Omega books plus the short novella thats in On the Prowl.
Those deserve attention!

The Alpha & Omega books are excellent, but I wish I had read the short story before the novels. It would have made a heck of a lot of things I didn't get the first time around make sense.

elmoie

Registered
Reaction score
The Alpha & Omega books are excellent, but I wish I had read the short story before the novels. It would have made a heck of a lot of things I didn't get the first time around make sense.

I wholeheartedly agree!

The same thing happened to me, though I still thoroughly enjoyed the books. I'm reading the latest book in her Mercy Thompson series at the moment. Patricia Briggs would be in my top five list of UF authors.

Jess Haines

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I wholeheartedly agree!

The same thing happened to me, though I still thoroughly enjoyed the books. I'm reading the latest book in her Mercy Thompson series at the moment. Patricia Briggs would be in my top five list of UF authors.

Ohh! I got the full set of Mercy Thompson books for Christmas, but I haven't read them yet. Damn my deadlines and mountainous TBR pile! :(

elmoie

Registered
Reaction score
Ohh! I got the full set of Mercy Thompson books for Christmas, but I haven't read them yet. Damn my deadlines and mountainous TBR pile!

I'm never happy when something gets in the way of my sacred reading time!

Let us know what you thought of the Mercy Thompson series, if you liked Alpha & Omega you should love the Mercy books.

Jess Haines

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jesshaines.com
I'm never happy when something gets in the way of my sacred reading time!

Let us know what you thought of the Mercy Thompson series, if you liked Alpha & Omega you should love the Mercy books.

I will, though it might take a little to get to them. I am wrapping up two novellas and a full length novel I need to blurb, a novel I'm reading for fun, and then I have about 6 more books I have to read before AAD this year because I'm not going to show up shame-faced meeting the authors and telling them I STILL haven't read their books, lol.

Plus deadlines.

I need a clone or something.

tarak

for certain qualities of "sane"
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Central Pennsylvania - the gateway to Harrisburg
Not sure if this is considered UF, but Neil Gaiman's American Gods is great.
I loved American Gods. Honestly, I've loved everything of Gaiman's. Good Omens is one of my favorite books ever.

I'm curious to read what everyone thought of the latest Mercy Thompson. I devoured the others, as well as the Alpha and Omega series. I don't want to spoil anything, though, so I'll keep silent on my thoughts.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
I'm curious to read what everyone thought of the latest Mercy Thompson. I devoured the others, as well as the Alpha and Omega series. I don't want to spoil anything, though, so I'll keep silent on my thoughts.

I'd prefer specific spoilers stay out of this thread. But if you'd like to start a new thread with a SPOILER warning for folks to discuss, feel free. :)

It's in my TBR pile.

Satori1977

Listening to the Voices In My Head
Registered
Reaction score
I need to read the Alpha and Omega novels. Really love Mercy Thompson, waiting for the next one in the series.

American Gods by Gaiman is also in my tbr pile. Loved Neverwhere.

kelloish

Registered
Reaction score
I am also a huge Mercy Thompson fan. In that same vein, I also really like the Kitty Norville books by Carrie Vaughn.
Hmm, what else. The Shifters series by Rachel Vincent.

Those are my fav. urban fantasy series, by far. I find I like series with more down to earth characters verses the super ass-kickey, badass chicks that I really can't relate too, although they have their moments too.

skunkmelon

Randomly curious
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferponce.com
How about Faith Hunter? She has three books: Skinwalker, Blood Cross, and Mercy Blade.

Lilith Saintcrow has two series: Dante Valentine, and Jill Kismet.

I just found two really good books by Richard Kadrey: Sandman Slim and Kill the Dead.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Just skimmed the comments and didn't see Mark Del Franco's Connor Grey Series. I've just started it, on the second book now. Haven't had a chance to check out his Laura Blackstone books yet but so far I'm in love with Connor Grey something fierce.

Miranda Lois

I like stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
All of my faves have been mentioned, and then some.

Best. Thread. Ever.

Sorry I don't have anything to add, unless you like YA stuff.

Kookicat

Registered
Reaction score
One writer who I love that hasn't been mentioned is Karen Chance. She has two fantastic series that are well worth checking out. She also posts free, short stories on her website.

Rosethorn

I've fallen and I can't get up!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stacikrause.com
Goodness, so many people have mentioned my must-read authors. But I'll mention them again, for effect.

Richelle Mead is my favorite author. She's got 2 adult series, the Succubus one and the Dark Swan series, both of which are complete. She also has a YA series that is complete. All are worth reading.

Kim Harrison's Hollows series is amazing. She's definitely an inspiration for my own writing.

Jeanine Frost has some great books in the Night Huntress series.

J.R. Rain's Samantha Moon series (e-book only) is fantastic if you want a twist on vampire literature.

Kalayna Price's Grave series is pretty good.

Ilona Andrews, Karen Chance, Patricia Briggs, Keri Arthur, Karen Marie Moning and Marjorie M. Liu all are fantastic too!

Yeah, I read a lot of UF :D

Shana2488

Someday, I'll finish a story...
Registered
Reaction score
I recently read this thread and found all of your recommendations helpful, like so many others. Thanks! I was drawn to this particular genre because of my novel-in-progress and wanted to do more research. I didn't know this genre existed, but my favorite author (besides JK Rowling) Kelley Armstrong has books in this series. I just finished reading the Darkest Powers trilogy about Chloe and I'm not sure if I want to switch characters and stories by reading The Gathering (and so on).

I did however read The Iron Witch and I found the MC to be a little whiny and too much emphasis put on the crush's "hot" looks. Still, the story was interesting enough so I need to find the sequel.

I was going through my previously owned books and I was wondering if Colleen Gleason's Gardella Vampire Chronicles or the Vampire Huntress series by L.A. Banks was considered Urban Fantasy? I don't have the first books, but if someone recommended them, I might try to find them. Does anyone know if those authors fit into the UF category?

Status
Not open for further replies.