Obama's secret plan to neuter Goldman Sachs

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Barack Obama's brilliant plan is finally revealed.

Ship all the Goldman Sachs execs out of the country so they can screw up other countries' economies instead of ours. That's gotta be the explanation. :sarcasm
U.S. President Barack Obama has selected a partner at the investment firm of Goldman Sachs in Chicago to be the new U.S. ambassador to Canada, CBC News has learned.
Well known as a high-level fundraiser to Barack Obama, Heyman and his wife Vicki, also a fundraiser, raised more than $1 million for Obama and were on his national finance committee.
But wait... there's more!
Another powerful Chicago fundraiser for Obama, Penny Pritzker, was reported to be Obama's pick for Commerce secretary four years ago but pulled out during the vetting process. Pritzker is now being mentioned again as Obama's likely nominee for Commerce.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Why would someone donate so much money for a job that pays significantly less?

First you get the money, then you get the power...

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
If raising a million gets you Canada, how much do you have to raise to get a good country, like Britian, or France, or someplace else on the A-list?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently we have too many banking regulations (you know, those thinks that kinda kept our economy from following yours) so he's sending the big guns up to get rid of them. Misery loves company.

Michael Wolfe

Jambo Bwana
Registered
Reaction score
This is nothing new. Obama has done this before, giving diplomatic posts to political patrons. Bush did the same. So did Clinton, Bush Sr. and Reagan. I think there is certainly a case to be made that this sort of thing is a bad idea, but it's worth noting at the same time that this has been standard fare for a long time, that it's not something unique to Obama.

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
This is nothing new. Obama has done this before, giving diplomatic posts to political patrons. Bush did the same. So did Clinton, Bush Sr. and Reagan. I think there is certainly a case to be made that this sort of thing is a bad idea, but it's worth noting at the same time that this has been standard fare for a long time, that it's not something unique to Obama.
Damn! You mean he's not The Messiah[SUP]TM[/SUP], but simply another money-grubbing politician selling himself to the highest bidder? I'm so disappointed.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
Damn! You mean he's not The Messiah[SUP]TM[/SUP], but simply another money-grubbing politician selling himself to the highest bidder? I'm so disappointed.

Hmm. So those are the only two choices?

That's quite a dichotomy.

How about fallible human being trying to do one of the hardest jobs in the world surrounded by people who wish him to fail and working within the constraints of a system designed to be hard to work and then further corrupted by people who think money and ownership are the same as freedom.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
How about fallible human being trying to do one of the hardest jobs in the world surrounded by people who wish him to fail and working within the constraints of a system designed to be hard to work and then further corrupted by people who think money and ownership are the same as freedom.
Who, Bush?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I get so sick and tired of the refrain of "How do you like your messiah now?" From the anti-Obama crowd.

No, we didn't vote for a Messiah. Yes, you can probably find YouTube videos of some stupid people proclaiming Obama as their savior. You can also find as many videos of people proclaiming him as the Anti-Christ. Both come from the fringes and shouldn't be believed.

If you want to have a genuine discussion, the sarcastic reference to Obama as the second coming don't help - they only serves to show how closed minded your ideas really are.