Hullo Hullo!

Haikujitsu

Thick Skin, What's That?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Thank you, Dylan. It has been kinda scary, but neat all the same. There are a lot of cool people here.

-Hj

CChampeau

The ever absent-minded
Registered
Reaction score
What's up Haikujitsu, I like your name :D

This is a great forum - you can always get advice, and critiquing other people's work helps you learn to write better too.

Haikujitsu

Thick Skin, What's That?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Hi Centaurus!

Right back atcha, CChampeau. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this is a mecca of cool/creative usernames. :D

-Hj

GrunAugen

Registered
Reaction score
I also found out that fanfiction is apparently not allowed in SYW?
-Hj

That's okay! I have a piece that started off as fanfic (for a class I was taking on expatriate writers nearly a decade ago) and completely morphed into its own story by the end of the first chapter. Maybe you'll have similar luck in here.

Oh... and you'll never get rotten tomatoes thrown at you from me. Cross my heart.

Haikujitsu

Thick Skin, What's That?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
:Shrug:

Eh, I thought about adapting it, but I think the story's too involved in canon. I'm about 50k and 62k too late to change my mind, respectively.

It's not that I won't get around to writing original work, it's just that these existing projects are what drove me to seek out a critique-oriented writing community in the first place. Major bummer to discover that direct feedback simply isn't an option, ya know?

I do appreciate the non-tomato greeting, tho. :D

-Hj

Beautiful Tragedy

Registered
Reaction score
welcome and hello! is there a way to change the names in your fanfiction to original characters?

Beautiful Tragedy

Registered
Reaction score
welcome and hello! is there a way to change your characters names to original ones?

Haikujitsu

Thick Skin, What's That?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Hallo BT, and thanks for the welcome. :)

You might be want to be more careful with your posts. I'm pretty sure quadruple posting will be seen as spam.

Anyway, as for your question...I've thought about it, but I don't think it would work even if I wanted to try it. The reason I chose to write fanfiction was because I wanted to say something new about known characters and explore an existing world in an interesting way. Removing the canon elements would push it out of the context where it was meant to be understood.

It'd be a little like trying to rewrite The Land Before Time with humans instead of dinosaurs; it might still be an interesting story, but it wouldn't have the same meaning or impact.

-Hj