Fiction vs. non-fiction

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why but somehow I have the impression that in the freelance business it's easier to get a non-fiction article published than a piece of non-fiction like a short story. Is that true or is it a wrong impression? Thanks.

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if it's easier/harder, but since you're supposed to write fiction first and then send it out (compared to articles, which are usually pitched first and then written once they're accepted), that might make it seem like fiction has a lower rate of return...

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why but somehow I have the impression that in the freelance business it's easier to get a non-fiction article published than a piece of non-fiction like a short story. Is that true or is it a wrong impression? Thanks.

That is probably because there are waaaaaay too many people who consider themselves creative trying to get published in fiction, whereas fewer of them would deign to bother with non-fiction (which is not "art"). For one thing, very few magazines that are not devoted to fiction actually accept fiction, and almost none of them accept unsolicited fiction unless your last name is Gaiman or something. If you're looking at fiction magazines, that isn't freelance, and yes, competition is fierce.

To clarify, I don't look down on fiction or fiction mags, and have had several short fiction pieces published, but I consider that entirely different than my freelance career.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Also, if you really do know of a flying pig somewhere and write an article about it, you will have no problem selling it. On the other hand, a fictional story about flying pigs will be harder sell.
By that I simply mean that it seems to be easier to market facts (provided they are of interest to a readership and thereby a magazine or paper) than fiction.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... was under the same impression myself. I think there's greater demand for nonfiction. More slots in pubs.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think the word 'freelance' is more often used to refer to non-fiction. The actual relative size of the markets is hard to judge.

fov

Rattenmonster
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, a fictional story about flying pigs will be harder sell.

Funny you should mention that, I wrote a short story about a flying pig once. And I wasn't able to get it published. :eek:

Umgowa

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you guys for some very helpful responses above. I appreciate it.