Multiple queries

christinaschim

Registered
Reaction score
Is it ok to query the same idea at the same time to multiple magazines? My friend is the star of a new tv show and is letting me interview her so I have a great story (i think). The show premeires in a month. I sent my first query to my number one choice but it is a long shot for where I am in my career.
Also, as a secondary question, I am going to do an article about her on my examiner page but with a slant for my specific topic. Is it Ok to do this online article as well as one for the magazine even though they will be different? Thanks everyone for your input!

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
It actually depends on who you ask.

Personally, I think sending the same idea to multiple magazines is fine as long as you tailor it directly for their magazine and readership and don't send the same blanket letter to everyone. Make it look like you did your homework on their magazine. This means the article will probably have to have a different slant for their market. If the online article is different than anything you're pitching, it's fine to have it. However, if it were me, I would wait and see if the article gets picked up by a print market before posting it online, even if it is substantially different.

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, it's okay to send the same query to multiple mags, although you may want to tailor each query to the mag you are subbing it to. However, read their guidelines first to make sure they allow this. Although a lot of writers will send out multiple queries even if a mag states they don't allow it, there are consequences to doing this. If you do send out multiple queries and a mag takes you up on it, it is polite to let the other mags know.