Just Hit Send for March 2011

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I kind of poofed out during February. I had a good reason, though. An editor wanted some changes on a romantic suspense novel I had submitted and then to see the full manuscript, so I worked on that all of February.

So... On to March.

My goal is still to submit two queries a week, but instead of writing it that way on my calendar/to-do list, I'll write specific ideas to specific magazines and set a deadline to have them done.

This week's is to submit "The Reverse Technology Gap" to AARP Magazine and "10 Tips for Encouraging Your Child's Creativity" to Metro Family, a regional magazine in Oklahoma. My deadline for both is March 5.

Speaking of regional magazines, I've been in discussion with an editor for the Ada Hub, the magazine in my town. I'll be writing some articles for them. :) (I've been trying to get in with them for a couple years.)

Oh, and the two queries mentioned above? I sent them this evening. :)

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Jen - Way to go mama! You're getting it done. :)
I sent in a response to a call for writers on a website and was invited to contribute. The guidelines seem simple enough so I figured I'd take a shot at it. :) I'm still working on the single moms book and hoping to finish up with 25 lessons total. Right now I'm at 22. We'll see how it goes. And I'm also doing my research for mag writing. I really feel that I can do it now that I've more time in my schedule. :)

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
great job Jen! Seeing you accompish what you started helps me get motivated.
Congrates Sky! I too have more time in my life. My hours at work got cut. I have an extra day off per week, which is funny because i only got cut two hours, but it works for me. This gives me more time to devote to writing and my family.

This month:

- I am working on two more stories for two anthologies
- i will send two queries before the end of the month. Really, I will.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Yay Raven! Great to see you here. I'm glad you've found good use for your new-found time. lol I'm excited for my shipment of Query Letters That Rock. Should be here today. :) Mag writing here I come!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
I highlighted the first ten pages and brought it with me to work today. lol Like it so far. I also added another lesson to my single moms' book yesterday and found another writing gig I'd like to apply for today. So that's on the menu for me. I need to put up a post at FW and at my portfolio. Maybe I'll do that tonight when I get home. So excited about the writing! What are you all up to?

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Hey

Well it sounds like all of ya'll are doing great! I'm still holding on down here in FL...... the wood working business is slow but taking up more, and more time slowly. I have a great idea for a science fantasy story that I am running through my little brain, so we will see. I'm still plugging at the articles scattered here and there too.
icon6.gif

I'm gonna get with the youth pastor of our church and write some skits and some small plays also. I'm really excited about this. It is something I have wanted to do most of my life and if it turns out it will be fantastic. I have never written plays before so we will see. The mechanics I know it'll just be getting it to fit.

Glad to hear everyone here is doing well!
GOD bless!
icon10.gif

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Sky.... WOW you're just really really busy and doing great!! Good luck with those queries... I know you'll do great and have many many positive responses!!!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome back Scriptor! Missed you. Hugs! I think the skits will be great. They are intense to write, but as long as you have a strong message, it'll be really great. :) I've thought about writing a funny skit with Job as the narrator. lol I picture him as the teacher in Ferris Bueller's Day off. lol Good luck with that.
And thanks for the support. I'm keeping busy with the writing since the dayjob has slowed down alot in terms of busy-ness. We're out of audit period so the pressure's definitely off now. I've been reading and highlighting my Query Letters that Rock so I'm hoping to get there soon with the queries. I've got one sitting on my flash drive that I want to work on. And I applied for that writing gig. I'm hoping to hear back about it soon. I'd be using my mental health degree to write for parents. :) Woohoo!
lol So there it is. I've decided that 2011 will be my year. My goal is to have the book finished by December and since I'm almost done outlining the lessons, I should get it done. Please come back to visit soon, ya hear? :)

Lavinia

Registered
Reaction score
Back to freelancing

Hiya, Friends! Well, with the book coming out this year, it looks like I will be doing some freelancing as a promotional thing. I'm looking for markets where I can write about things related to the book, either directly or indirectly. I'm thinking Chicken Soup for the Soul or other anthology type books. I could also try magazines like Guideposts and Reader's Digest. I'd appreciate any ideas you have for me.

Here's a quick synopsis in case it might help; My memoir, BREAKING THE CODE - A DAUGHTER'S JOURNEY INTO HER FATHER'S SECRET WAR, is about my quest to figure out why my father, a WWII veteran, started having flashbacks and nightmares more than 50-years after the war.

• I am passionate about encouraging others to write down their own personal history and/or that of their family members.
  • The book includes letters my father wrote to his folks during the war. It also includes photos. So many of us have these things in our families and don't know what the heck to do with them.
  • The book deals with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.
  • It also deals with father/daughter relationships, or I guess you could also say, parent/child relationships and the restoration of them, or even the creation of a new relationship.
So, I hope that gives you a little bit of an idea of what I'm looking for. I haven't written freelance articles in a few years and I'm out of practice. Once I get a feel for where I'm going, I'll be able to post some goals.

Thanks in advance, for your help! ~Karen

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Lavnia - Congrats mama. :) Sounds like an exciting new chapter for you. I wish I had some more ideas for you. I think you may want to reach out to parenting sites for interviews. You can also try mental health and wellness sites being that the book deals with PTSD. Good luck mama. I'm sure you'll be great with the articles. :)
I just put up a fresh post over at The Freshman Writer. March is Humorists are Artists Month. :) Check it out.

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
In honor of St. Paddy's day, I've written a brief post about limericks at The Freshman Writer. Also put up three posts at my portfolio. I've got blogposts to work on as well as an article to finish. I really need to get the ball rolling. In the meantime, I've applied to a full time day job and have been studying for my exam which I've yet to schedule. lol That's all from me.

AmyDoodle

I'm a Bajaffe!
Registered
Reaction score
2nd star to the right and 10 miles west of Sugar T
Website
www.mindovermullis.blogspot.com
Omigosh, I keep forgetting to come report. You guys rock!

I'm trying to get at least one submission in per week, not counting my twice monthly editor posts at Stage of Life. Up to the third chapter of a new book-length project; holding my breath, but that might not be a good idea. . .

ravenlea

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
quick update: one query sent and rejected so it is onto the next market. second query sent and still waiting.

working on last draft for the essays and will have them sent hopefully by the weekend.

congrats and good job to everyone! Your successes inspire me!

Skyraven

Registered
Reaction score
Finished my article this week and it was published! Click here to read and comment. :) I'm so excited about it. The article is about tips for expressive/emotional writing. :) I used my therapy skills on this one. As well as my own ideas for this kind of writing. :)