How can I form article ideas for Natural History?

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
I just discovered the magazine Natural History, from the museum...
I think it has a call for submissions.
I am a big fan of science, but don't have any relevant credentials (I'm not a scientist or science writer, really). How can I form ideas to pitch? I'm a little stuck here.
Thanks! :)

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just some ideas . . .

Look at past issues to see what they've had recent articles on and what they haven't (a magazine like NH will be available in any large library).

What things interest you?

If you've not an expert, interview people who are.

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I'm brainstorming ideas, I like to use the organizational chart (in Word) - or you can do it just as easily by hand.

Start with a main subject, then branch out to what you may know or have heard of regarding that subject. You may have one branch or twenty off the same main subject.

Looking at the website you posted I noticed articles about sharks. I don't know much about Fish, but had one thing pop in my head immediately.

1. Main subject - FISH
A. Branching off - the fish (not sure what its called, but I've seen one) that is born with two eyes and stays on the bottom of the ocean until both eyes move into one socket & it ends up with one eye on one side of its head.

2. Main subject - nature cleaning up after itself
A. Again, I don't know the name of them, but there is a small fly of some type that you get started and they eat what we call stable flies or house flies

B. Maggots cleaning up dead flesh

C. Buzzards taking care of road kill

Those aren't great examples by any means, but you get the drift. Sometimes it is just a matter of getting an order to your thoughts.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
The magazine in question has ceased publication. I was an avid reader and miss it. Feel free to double check that info on the museum website. It went to members of the museum. If it isn't listed among membership perks, it's gone. Sorry to have brought bad tidings.

gambit78

Registered
Reaction score
From Another source, the publishers are holding off printing new issues as they are operating on a net loss. I have heard some writers who struggled to get paid by this magazine.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
We began subscribing in the early nineties. Issues stopped coming, I think in 2009. Last one on my bookshelf is September of that year. It's not the final one though. The magazine was a perk of joining the museum which has other benefits too. Might be why it's still on the site.
You can always call and ask.