Question about Work for Hire Agreement

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
just curious about something. I guess it's possible I'm being a little paranoid but got a new situation and would like some feedback.

I looked into blogging for a particular site. We've emailed back and forth a few times, things seemed good, and a work for hire agreement was emailed for me to complete. All pretty standard stuff.

At the bottom, along with the signature, is a spot for a SS#. I'm kind of weird about just slopping that particular piece of info all over the place so asked why it was needed. the answer I got was "I'm not an attorney but all the samples on the web I've seen use them so I use them too."

I did some looking and couldn't find any samples asking for the SS#.

Am I letting paranoia ruin a shot at a decent paying gig? Anyone else seen a request for this info on any agreements you've done?

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If they're reporting your earnings to the IRS, then they need your SS#. Make sure you fill out the other tax forms for withholding or find out if you're going to be responsible for all taxes as a contractor or not. Expect a 1099 of some sort next January.

If they're not, then they don't need it--though someone else might know more and correct me if I'm wrong.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
What Deleyan said. They need it for tax info, but not if all they're using it for is some kind of weird internal ID.

speel00

Registered
Reaction score
Most companies that I have blogged or written for will ask you for your SSN#. Like most of the others said, it is typically used for tax purposes.

Good luck!

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Yup, most freelance gigs need your SSN. Sometimes they have you fill out a W-4, or they put it in the contract, or they just ask for it.

And once they have it, they have it. You don't need to put it on invoices or other paperwork.

Congrats on your blogging gig!

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Just my two cents but: I've never been paid by someone who didn't also need my SS#. It's par for the course.

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
MShaw-

I wouldn't have been worried so much about the fact that they're asking for it, but about the client's response to your question. He doesn't KNOW why he needs it? "Because everyone else provides it?" That would concern me a LOT. (Although I'd like to think even an identity thief would be smarter than that!!!)

The right answer from him, that would set my mind at ease, would be: "For tax purposes so I can send you a 1099 form at the end of the year if you make more than $600."

I would not put my number on the form, but go ahead and write for the client, and if you see your earnings approaching $600, send him a W-9 form with all the relevant information. By then, you'll know if he's legit.

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
Thanks for all the advice, everybody :)

I did a little research and talked with some others who work with the site. Been writing for them for about a week now and everything is cool with it.

I appreciate your help.